View Full Version : Edit Excel on a Windows Mobile Smartphone (ie, blackjack)?

under par
12-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Any one know if you can edit MS docs on a WMSP? If not native, are there any 3rd party apps to allow you to do this?

I tried doing a search, but didn't come up with anything :x . Thanks in advance!

AdamaDBrown
12-06-2006, 02:43 AM
No, there's no Office editing programs on a Smartphone.

Mike Temporale
12-06-2006, 03:36 AM
There's a 3rd party tool for excel. I think it's called ptab It allows editing of CSV files.

under par
12-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Mike, awesome suggestion. I"ve looked up Ptab and it appears to be the perfect answer. Not having excel editing capability was one of my only hesitations about going w/ the Blackjack over the 8525 (PDA smartphone). I love the form factor and "pocketability" of the Blackjack, but I live my life in excel!!!! constantly keeping my financial planning, task lists, workout regime/results, etc in excel. I'm hoping Ptab is as good as it looks on the Z4's website: http://www.z4soft.com/

Once I have a chance to play with it, I'll let you know what I think. It's $30, but if it turns the tiny blackjack into a competent spreadsheet editor that's compatible w/ MS excel, it will be worth it.

Still looking for other feedback. Anyone have other MS Mobile Smartphone excel editing thoughts? Or any experience using Ptab?

Thanks.

Jerry Raia
12-06-2006, 09:07 AM
The time has come for MS to step up to the plate and put these tools in the Smartphone OS. In case they hadn't noticed, Smartphones are moving out of the realm of curiosities. :roll:

triman
12-06-2006, 09:56 AM
par, please please do post the results of the Ptab. i'm in the EXACT position as you and would also glady pay 30 bucks for an excel editing program!

keep us posted!

Mike Temporale
12-07-2006, 02:34 AM
Or any experience using Ptab?

It's been talked about around here before. So you might want to search these forums for Ptab and see what you find. I used it at one point a while ago. can't really recall much about it.

under par
12-12-2006, 06:45 PM
following up on my Ptab experience.....
It kicks a$$!!!! I highly recommend Ptab. I think it's well worth the $30 one time charge. This really was the only thing standing in my way of buying a smart phone over a windows mobile pda phone. I love keeping track of finances, to do lists, daily logs (meals, workout, glucose etc) on excel. The idea of having a mobile spreadsheet tool that's compatible with excel is way cool.

That all said, there are a few things I haven't figured out how to do, but I'm sure the program is able to.....such as freezing the left column or the top row so you can view your title cells even though you're scrolling way to the right or way down. Like I said, I'm sure little things like this are doable, but it'll just take a little leg work.

Summary, buy ptab if you like excel.

Jet Yi
02-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know why Microsoft Office Mobile and Microsoft Office Outlook Mobile aren't offered on the Cingular BlackJack?

Mike Temporale
02-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know why Microsoft Office Mobile and Microsoft Office Outlook Mobile aren't offered on the Cingular BlackJack?

Microsoft has not released Office Mobile for the Smartphone yet. There has been talk about it for a while, but we haven't seen it yet. It's not against the BlackJack. It just hasn't been released at all yet.

galatians51
02-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Documents To Go from Dataviz is almost out, you can download a prerelease from their website. It is excellent, I have already preordered (it is $49.99). It equals the Palm platform version, which bests the WM office programs on the PPC.
www.dataviz.com