View Full Version : BJ Keypad Backlight

donb
12-05-2006, 09:51 PM
I upgraded to the Blackjack a few days ago to replace my ailing 5600. No surprises so far, probably because I already knew everything there was to know about the BJ from following the chatter on this website. One question though, the keypad backlight turns off after just 10 seconds or so. No matter what I set the display or backlight timeouts to, the keypad turns off. This is very annoying when trying to manage voicemail menus or otherwise trying to type while in a dark place. I don't see anything in the manual about a photo cell or software adjustment specific to the keypad. Any ideas about how to extend the keypad backlight? One more question, what the heck is a confirmation time out (in Accessibility folder)? Thank you.

stumpy
12-06-2006, 12:51 AM
OK here is the skinny. To change the keypad backlight setting you need a registry editor.
Go here Hkey_current_user  Controlpanel Keypadbacklight and change Timeout from 15 sec to whatever you want. But there is a catch, once your screen timeout goes out then your keypad goes out too. So you will have to extend you screen timeout on battery or on power to have a keypad timeout extended. I will play with some of the registry to see if I can go around this.

Jerry Raia
12-06-2006, 02:44 AM
Thanks for that stumpy. Good find.

donb
12-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks Stumpy. I am not up to editing the register, but I did find a quick workaround. One rotation of the jog wheel up or down turns on the screen and keypad lights without affecting the current activity.

tut00
12-16-2006, 06:31 AM
newbie here...

where do i find a reg editor for smartphone. had a bunch for pocket pc...

Mike Temporale
12-17-2006, 04:10 AM
There's a number of editors out there. Do a search for PHM - it's free, or Resco has one available for purchase.