View Full Version : Outlook Mobile Ate My Email

Mike Temporale
12-04-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm sure we all know that Outlook Mobile has some issues, but I've never really felt it was that bad. I've never really had much reason to hate Outlook Mobile, that is until yesterday. You see, when I awoke Sunday morning, my trusty Samsung i320 was reporting that there was no mail at all, in my inbox. I found this odd because I could usually count on at least a couple spam messages overnight. Besides, I had Outlook Mobile setup to download the last 3 days of email, but it always seemed to want to show me everything. So I expect to see all those old messages and there was nothing to be found. A quick check on my computer shows that everything is in place, including those overnight spam messages. So I know that there was new email in the account. <br /><br />After a little tinkering I finally managed to get Windows Mobile to show me my messages. I had to change the account settings from showing the last 3 days of email to show me the last 5 days. After making this change, it would successfully download all my email including the spam I was lucky enough to get overnight. If I toggle it back to 3 days then nothing is displayed. :? <br /><br />I know that nothing has changed on my mail server or my Smartphone in a while. So I don't understand what is causing it to hide my email from me. The i320 has a fair amount of internal memory and it doesn't appear to be anywhere near full. The date/time on my device and mail server hasn't changed - even though this feature never seemed to work anyway. It stuff like this that really makes you lose faith in the product. :?

HalM
12-04-2006, 06:23 PM
I had something similar happen yesterday. My partner wanted her Blackjack returned after I took it on a business trip last week. I “Cleared Storage” on the Blackjack and our S620. The Blackjack took about 3 minutes to reset for her and all was well.

The S620 was not as quick. First, Sprite Backup doesn’t know how to backup and restore Connection Settings. There was some real weirdness there that I won’t go into now. But like you I had some email issues too. In particular, there was email on the phone that was long ago deleted. Even after several sync’s, it remained. I went to ActiveSync (on the phone) and then Options and unchecked E-mail. I forced it to sync and then re-enabled E-mail. All has been fine since.

Do the Pocket PC folks have issues like this?

Mike Temporale
12-05-2006, 02:33 AM
I wish I could go to ActiveSync and toggle the setting, but my email isn't synced over AS. It's pulled over the air. :(

ARGH. This is so frustrating. I can't understand what's changed to cause this to break. I guess I just have to toggle to 5 days and hope that doesn't break at some point down the road. :(

qyv42
12-05-2006, 02:38 AM
Why not delete and recreate your e-mail partnership, since you apparently have an Exchange hosted account? I've had that solve any number of weird issues...

Mike Temporale
12-05-2006, 03:13 AM
I did that, but it didn't fix things. (oh, and it's not Exchange ;) )

bnycastro
12-05-2006, 06:08 AM
Since this thread is about outlook email I was wondering if this would be the proper thread to post this....

I want to use outlook mobile for E-mail but not Push E-mail [cause I loose my attachments when I forward my G-Mail to the free push email service I am using] but I am concerned with data costs.

Scenario #1:
If I have Gmail setup on my PocketPC phone and I set it to get messages every 30 minutes. The device will connect to GPRS/UMTS and download my messages after it reaches the power down time [I have it set a 2 minutes] the device powers down the screen to save battery. Now my question is will the GPRS/UMTS connection stay active or disconnect? Am I downloading data [therefore spending money] when the data connection is idle [i.e. after it downloads my email it waits 30 mins to download again]

Q1: is data being downloaded while my device is idle [power saving mode]

Q2: is there a way to set auto send/receive only when connected via Activesync or at schedule times or are we stuck with the minutes option. [I am comfortable with Reg editing so it is not an issue if this requires one :)]

Sorry if these have been asked before and thanks in advanced for any input.

Mike Temporale
12-06-2006, 03:09 AM
Q1: is data being downloaded while my device is idle [power saving mode]

No, it shouldn't be. The connection can be left open but not transmit.

Q2: is there a way to set auto send/receive only when connected via Activesync or at schedule times or are we stuck with the minutes option.

Not that I know about. It would be cool if this was the case, but I suspect that you'll be looking at some other 3rd party email program to do that. However, if you use the Direct Push, ActiveSync has an option for peak hours. Which means you can tell it handle email differently outside of peak hours.

bnycastro
12-06-2006, 04:59 AM
No, it shouldn't be. The connection can be left open but not transmit.
Thanks Mike for your reply. I have 2 providers one has a per Kb rate [0.25PhP per Kb] and the other is per minute rate [10PhP per 30 mins] it seems I will have to use the per Kb provider for direct push/pop-email and the per min one for browsing. The problem is the per Kb provider has lousy 3G deployment [it's so bad that if you use a 3G mobile even non-WM you have to set it as 2G only so your calls will be connected/not dropped] the per minute provider, has better 3G deployment and overall signal strength. Both don't have unlimited data plans for consumers at the moment I don't think they plan to have any soon. Bummer it seems that my providers are hindering my goal of ultimate mobility [at a fair price that is]!