View Full Version : SAMSUNG and ROM updates/after release support?

bnycastro
12-02-2006, 06:29 PM
I've never owned a Samsung WM device [PPC or Smartphone] I was wondering how SAMSUNG is with regards to ROM upgrades or patches and fixes. Do they offer good support for their devices or just release em like crazy and go on to the next release [ala nokia]
--
I'm looking to purchase a SGH i607 [if it comes out with wifi and a front camera -- like the one over at the unwired.net not cingular's version] and maybe trying out WMSP again [the last SP I had was the MPx220]

Jerry Raia
12-02-2006, 08:34 PM
The BlackJack is my second Samsung. My first was the i600 on Verizon. I recall the one major ROM upgrade with that phone didn't go all that smoothly. Mainly because of Verizon though. You can read through this old thread (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5916&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) on the fun during that ordeal. The biggest stumbling block is usually the carrier.

Mike Temporale
12-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Well, forget how is samsung. How are any of them? Aside from the MSFP update, when was the last time you got an update? ROM upgrades seem to be a thing of the past. :(

Jerry Raia
12-03-2006, 02:11 AM
The last Smartphone ROM upgrade I got was the 2125. That one was more of a downgrade if you recall. :lol:

Mike Temporale
12-03-2006, 02:37 AM
The last Smartphone ROM upgrade I got was the 2125. That one was more of a downgrade if you recall. :lol:

That one was released because of MSFP. When was the one before that?

Jerry Raia
12-03-2006, 02:53 AM
Wow now that I think about it, that was it as far as Smartphones go. I don't recall having one for the 5600. :?

Mike Temporale
12-03-2006, 03:03 AM
Exactly. We just don't see ROM updates on the Smartphone side. It's too much effort for the carriers when the device is already approaching the end of it's life. It's too bad IMHO.

Jerry Raia
12-03-2006, 03:09 AM
I even forgot about the Q, but that was MSFP as well. :(

bnycastro
12-03-2006, 03:21 AM
I plan to get direct from Samsung [no carrier lock, no carrier customizations] but as you say ROM updates seem to be getting scarce. I mainly use PocketPCs and only 1 was released for my Exec, 1 for the dopod 838, 1 for iPAQ rw6828... non of them AKU3 [all of them are more than 6 months old so I doubt they will be getting it], I had to get un-official AKU3 for my Exec [I've since sold the 838 and iPAQ] it seems manufacturers are churning out more devices than they can support in the PPC arena, so I wanted to take a look back at Smartphones, hoping that the grass is greener. From your answers it seems we have the same grass :(

Jerry Raia
12-03-2006, 03:25 AM
On the other hand, with the release of a new Mobile OS almost every year in the foreseeable future, it might be a moot point. It appears they will force us into a new device with each upgrade! :crazyeyes:

bnycastro
12-03-2006, 03:31 AM
On the other hand, with the release of a new Mobile OS almost every year in the foreseeable future, it might be a moot point. It appears they will force us into a new device with each upgrade! :crazyeyes:then why release the AKUs to the manufacturers? I mean it really bugs me to read that AKU blah does blah blah and adds blah, and of course I want the blah, blah and to add blah but I can't get it!!! I feel that they are just teasing us with this AKUs. :twisted: if it's part of the OS on our machine we should be able to get it. Maybe with Crossbow [it has an update feature right? although dunno how that would work with carrier branded devices or all devices for that matter]

Mike Temporale
12-03-2006, 04:04 AM
Good question.

For starters, the update feature is part of WinMo5. It just hasn't been used. I wouldn't expect much to change on that front either. It's a mess trying to wrangle an update through Microsoft, the device manufacturer, and the carrier. The carrier isn't going to like Microsoft going direct because the Microsoft update may impact some of their customization code.

As for your AKU question - AKU's are basically bug fixes and minor upgrades/enhancements. They're released on a regular basis to the manufacturer. The manufacturer then can decide at what AKU they want to go ahead with on their device. For instance, a manufacturer may say to Microsoft that they are working on feature X but are having problems. Microsoft would look into it and say, yes - that's related to a bug. We'll fix it and release it in the next AKU.

They're not trying to tease us. In fact, Microsoft doesn't even post a list of features/fixes that are released in a given AKU. It's just their regular development cycle.

Does any of that make sense?

bnycastro
12-03-2006, 05:01 AM
so in other words... we're at their [ms, manufacturers and for you guys w/ carrier devices.. the carriers] mercy :P

Mike Temporale
12-03-2006, 02:14 PM
yeah... pretty much. :?

bnycastro
12-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi all! Just saw this at CNET! It's the BlackJack with WiFi and Dual Cameras :) http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/mobilephones/0,39051199,39312800p,00.htm

dstrauss
12-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Since when does anyone keep a Smartphone or PPC version long enough to warrant a ROM upgrade - aren't you guys already on to the next hot phone with fresh OS already? :turn-l:

Jerry Raia
12-06-2006, 10:23 PM
OK who told you? :worried:

Mike Temporale
12-07-2006, 02:40 AM
Since when does anyone keep a Smartphone or PPC version long enough to warrant a ROM upgrade - aren't you guys already on to the next hot phone with fresh OS already? :turn-l:

If Audiovox had offered an upgrade for the 5600, I wouldn't have purchased the SP5m. The 5600 was much better with everything - including looks. I would have gladly paid $30 or $40 for the upgrade too.

Now, I don't think I would have stayed with the 5600 once the QWERTY devices started to hit. I'm much more productive on a QWERTY smartphone. :D

bnycastro
12-07-2006, 03:31 AM
Since when does anyone keep a Smartphone or PPC version long enough to warrant a ROM upgrade - aren't you guys already on to the next hot phone with fresh OS already? :turn-l: hmmm you got me there. I usually get to a ROM update cause I buy my unit late [i.e. 3 months or more after release].