View Full Version : Looking for Advice on a Laptop

Mike Temporale
12-01-2006, 08:30 PM
After 4 solid years of use, my Thinkpad T30 has finally called it quits. I was hoping that my laptop would hang on until the new year and I could grab a new pre-loaded Vista laptop. However, my luck seems to have run out. It all started a couple months ago when the built-in WiFi card stopped working. Then the PCMCIA WiFi card stopped, followed by some keys on the keyboard and a nice little twitch on the TrackPoint. At first, I thought it was software related, so I backed everything up and reformatted. It had been a couple years, so it was due for a fresh build anyway. Unfortunately, that didn't fix any of the issues. In fact, things seem to be getting worse. I'm not even trying anymore. I figure 4 years is good for a laptop.

The problem is, I don't know what to replace it with and I was wondering what you guys would suggest. I don't care for Dell's laptop offerings. Toshiba's always seemed a little slower and heavier than a similar product from a competitor. I've always used IBM ThinkPads and have no idea what to expect from Lenovo. Most of my time is spent doing email, web, meetings, and some programming. I'm thinking of a tablet, or a ultra portable type machine, but that doesn't mean I'm against a regular laptop. I would like room for lots of RAM (I use Virtual PC/Server a fair amount) and a significant size hard drive, say 80+ GB. One of the things I really liked about my ThinkPad was the video card. It supported higher than normal resolutions - doing 1400x1050 on a 14 inch screen.

So, what's hot on the market today? What are you using and how do you like it? If it was your hard earned money that was spent to buy it, would you buy it again?

kerrins
12-01-2006, 08:56 PM
I always get good advice on CNET

stevew
12-01-2006, 10:11 PM
My last 2 notebooks have been from Toshiba. I get a new one every 2 years and give the replaced one to my mom. Right now I have the Toshiba Satellite P105 6014 and love it. Neither of the notebooks have given me any problems.

stumpy
12-01-2006, 10:46 PM
I have the same as you the T30 before that a T21. You could replace the internal wifi card with a new one and replace the keyboard with a new one its pretty easy. So for about 50 bucks on Ebay you could revive you computer. What I always like and it was important for me was the warranty. Ibm drops off a box same day you send it in and you get your laptop back in 4 business days. I like the 3year warranty also. Personaly I would hate to be without my laptop for more then a week. Yeah other manufacturers are less expensive but its worth it. If you don't care about the warranty here is some used ones.

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1&categoryId=2576396

PS running Vista Beta version on my laptop with no problems.

SteveHoward999
12-01-2006, 11:24 PM
My wife's last 2 notebooks were Toshibas ... they basically fell apart on her after 2 years of constant use.

My last 3 machines have been Dells. All still work fine ...

I just bought a E1705, with 17 inch 1920x1200 screen, 200Gb HDD, 2Gb RAM, 2GHz Dual2Core chip, 256 Mb nVidea graphics ... very nice, but rather larger than your intention.

My wife loves her Toshiba tablet. She's now on her second M200. The current model seems to be an M400, which has a 1400x1050 screen option. If you are not a heavy user, they are nice machines, and maybe the M400 is better built than the 200???

mja8105
12-02-2006, 12:01 AM
My Inspiron 300m died a few months ago, so I replaced it with a Vaio SZ330 with a 2GHz Core2 Duo. It was a little pricey, but I have been satisfied with it so far. It is MUCH faster than my T40 that I use for work.

dcharti
12-02-2006, 12:24 AM
I know this is below par of some of the stats you wanted, but I figured it was worth mentioning: Woot has a $600 Gateway tablet today:

http://www.woot.com/

40GB drive and only a CDRW, but... not a bad deal, considering.

/MacBook_user

Mike Temporale
12-02-2006, 03:30 AM
I have the same as you the T30 before that a T21.

Cool! I had a T390 before this one. Still runs good too. My daughter uses it for games and surfin'.

You could replace the internal wifi card with a new one and replace the keyboard with a new one its pretty easy. So for about 50 bucks on Ebay you could revive you computer.

Well, from what I understand, this isn't actually a keyboard/wifi issue. It's more of a burned out system board. At least that's what I've been told. I'll take a spin on ebay, though. It would be good to get another couple months out of it. I've bought a cpu fan and battery replacement off ebay in the past. It's a good place to shop for parts. :D

What I always like and it was important for me was the warranty. Ibm drops off a box same day you send it in and you get your laptop back in 4 business days. I like the 3year warranty also.

Yeah, that's pretty sweet. I've sent mine in 3 times over the course of the last 4 years. All for the same problem - one of the memory slots dies. The memory is fine, but the slot no longer worked. Ironicly, I haven't had that problem since the warrenty expired and it's not what seems to have done in this machine. :?

Mike Temporale
12-02-2006, 03:34 AM
I just bought a E1705, with 17 inch 1920x1200 screen, 200Gb HDD, 2Gb RAM, 2GHz Dual2Core chip, 256 Mb nVidea graphics ... very nice, but rather larger than your intention.

:drool: That sounds nice...

My wife loves her Toshiba tablet. She's now on her second M200. The current model seems to be an M400, which has a 1400x1050 screen option. If you are not a heavy user, they are nice machines, and maybe the M400 is better built than the 200???

I'm certianly not the heavy user that I used to be. But I like to know that it can handle it if need be. Even if it's a little slower than some. It's not like I'll be doing it for a long time.

That one seems to have a nice screen res. Most tablets have a crap screen on them.

Mike Temporale
12-02-2006, 03:37 AM
My Inspiron 300m died a few months ago, so I replaced it with a Vaio SZ330 with a 2GHz Core2 Duo. It was a little pricey, but I have been satisfied with it so far. It is MUCH faster than my T40 that I use for work.

What's everyone's take on the whole Core2 Duo? I've heard some mixed issues with them not being very stable - at least the dell models.

ctmagnus
12-02-2006, 03:41 AM
I've had wonderful experience with Dells. And there are times that I want to throw my Toshiba through the nearest brick wall. Like when it just shuts down for no reason - the lights are literally on, but nobody's home.

Fwiw, I've currently got my eye on the Dell XPS M1210, a nice little 12.1" beauty.

encece
12-02-2006, 04:03 AM
I've had a 17" Toshiba Notebook (Satellite P25-S509)for about 3 years now. The hard drive went last year (luckily right after I backed everything up on an external....whew). But other than that....it has never done me wrong. And I almost never shut it off....really! In three years I'd say it has only been off for about 10 days at the most.

Mike Temporale
12-02-2006, 04:27 AM
Fwiw, I've currently got my eye on the Dell XPS M1210, a nice little 12.1" beauty.

Wow, that's a little power-house. Did you get the standard video card or the upgraded nVidia? And what's the max resolution on it - if you don't mind me asking.

Mike Temporale
12-02-2006, 04:29 AM
I've had a 17" Toshiba Notebook (Satellite P25-S509)for about 3 years now. The hard drive went last year (luckily right after I backed everything up on an external....whew). But other than that....it has never done me wrong. And I almost never shut it off....really! In three years I'd say it has only been off for about 10 days at the most.

Do you travel with that? 17" seems like it could be hard to carry around.

mbranscum
12-02-2006, 05:15 AM
I am using a Dell Inspiron E1505 with B/I wireless and bluetooth.

ctmagnus
12-02-2006, 05:19 AM

Wow, that's a little power-house. Did you get the standard video card or the upgraded nVidia? And what's the max resolution on it - if you don't mind me asking.

Unfortunately, I haven't ordered it yet. ;) My current unit is only 15 months old and that's a bit shy of my usual three year rule.

As far as resolution goes, I believe it's 1280 x 800.

stumpy
12-02-2006, 05:35 AM
One thing I forgot to mention is that I changed my processor in my t30 from 1.6 to a 2.4 that I bought of ebay.

Pete Paxton
12-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Keep an eye on techbargains.com. They always have some great deals on laptops including coupon codes for the Dells.

Here's a good one from xpbargains.com

"starting at just 5.3lbs. Dell Home has the Dell Inspiron E1405 notebook (Inspiron 630m replacement) w/ Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz, 14.1in WXGA, 1GB DDR2, 120GB, DVD+-RW, 56k/NIC/802.11g Wireless, XP Media Center Edition, 1yr warranty for only $799 w/ free shipping."

Pretty good deal!

MitchellO
12-02-2006, 10:01 AM
My last three laptops have been Dell's and I have been quite happy with them. Dell's onsite warranty with completecare (accidental damage) is unbeatable.

My next laptop (late Dec or January) would have been a Dell, but for my uni course I will need to get a Macbook Pro because I need to be able to use Final Cut Pro.

stumpy
12-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Hey Mike if your looking for bargains my last laptop I got was at cdw.com.

Do a search in the CDW Outlet section. Whats nice about it is that you can get Thinkpads at half the price and you still get the full warranty.

Like this one. I am drooling over this one. Check out the specs.

100GB 7200Rpm drive, 2.16 dual core, fireGL video card 256MB 1400x1050 display, 5.3 hour battery.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1076240

SQLDba
12-02-2006, 01:45 PM
For the most part - there have been little changes since Lenovo's purchase of IBM's thinkpad business. I would HIGHLY recommend them as the best business solution for portable computing.

The fantastic keyboard that Thinkpad's are famous for is still there. And there have been some minor but very welcome tweaks to the hardware to improve the machine. Things like shock sensitive hard drives that measure laptop movement and park the hard drive to prevent damage. WLAN built in antennas for both Sprint and Cingular are available as well.

I just bought a Z series laptop - which is a wide screen laptop - not quite as thin and portable as the T series that you have. Still a great machine. One great feature is the blue thinkpad button which allows you one push access to resources (auto update etc). Also the TP has a recovery partition - where, with the blue button on startup, I can restore the machine to a clean factory spec from a hidden partition.

The T series TPs are the thin, power user machines - with titanium lids - very cool. Z series are wide screen, magnesium shell - desktop / multimedia systems. R - are what I call student systems - still very nice but sacrificing portability for very reasonable costs. And the X are their subnotebook size machines - 12" screens etc.

Check out the Lenovo site - also look under their Outlet and Buy Today/ Ship Today sections. Great selection, and prices that are cheaper than you think. Pay close attention to screen resolution. They do have a lot of machines with SVGA resolution - which, is a huge difference down from what you are used to on your current machine.

I think you've really answered your own question. You bought a Thinkpad that has been your go to machine for 3 years - a lifetime in technology years. Not sure with that track record, I would be looking for anything other than the current model of what I carried for so long.

Great thinkpad information can also be found on the forums at www.thinkpads.com.

Let us know what you decide to get.

SQLDba
12-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Looking at the specs of the CDW thinkpad in the post by Mitchell - notice that is Thinkpad's P series machine - T60 vs the T60p - the 'p' series indicates 'professional'.

IMO there is no better business spec'd machine than an Thinkpad with the P designation. These aren't game machines - although they will handle what's out there - but true workstation machines- with high speed hard drives, fast processors and some of the most amazing high res screens you will fine. The ATI Fire video chip is very nice 128m video card that will make for a great Vista experience. The Fire cards are oriented more towards 3D - businessness type applications - and not games. Again, you can run FEAR on such a machine with no problem - but thats not the target audience the machine is built for.

The price on that CDW machine is really attractive - really worth a look if that's in your budget range.

SteveHoward999
12-02-2006, 04:44 PM
What's everyone's take on the whole Core2 Duo? I've heard some mixed issues with them not being very stable - at least the dell models.

SO far I'm very pleased with mine. I've seen no instability. Performance is fantastic. I do multimedia development for a living. Nothing so hot has high-end 3D, but typical Flash/PhotoShop/Video etc stuff. Multi-tasking is a breeze with this E1705 Dell.

My only complaint is the amount of junk that comes installed by defailt. I found a piece of software that helps - called De-crapifier! http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/ - or you can just go through Add/Remove programs.

SteveHoward999
12-02-2006, 04:49 PM
[quote=SteveHoward999]My wife loves her Toshiba tablet. She's now on her second M200. The current model seems to be an M400, which has a 1400x1050 screen option. quote]

I'm certianly not the heavy user that I used to be. But I like to know that it can handle it if need be. Even if it's a little slower than some. It's not like I'll be doing it for a long time.

That one seems to have a nice screen res. Most tablets have a crap screen on them.

Mostly I hear OK things about the Toshibas. Heavy use in this case is 10-16 hours use daily. She's as bad as me! I specced out an M400 a couple of days ago, out of interest, and you can add 2Gb RAM, big hard drive, 2GHz+ chip with the 1400x1050 screen ... comes in around $2000. Honestly, if I were recommending a tablet, with my wife's experience I would certainly suggest you have a good look at it. If you are going to be a normal to moderately heavy user I figure it will be a good choice.

WelcomeRain
12-02-2006, 04:58 PM
First off, I think you should keep tabs over at "Gotta Be Mobile". Here is their address http://www.gottabemobile.com/. It is the most comprehensive blog I have seen on tablets, UMPCs and other mobile devices. I am really happy with my 8.9" screen convertible tablet. The max ram is a gig and hard drive is 80 gig but if you can live with those limits I don't think you will be disappointed. There are a number of reviews you can find on the P1610 to give you a good idea about the unit's performance and strengths. What I like is the fact that it is small enough that it begs to be taken everywhere you go. Also, if you buy the unit now, you will get a free upgrade when Vista is released. So many strengths to mention but the zero vectoring when handwriting is amazing. Use the Fujitsu as a micro computer or a tablet, it is the next generation in computing as far as I am concerned.

nskgti
12-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm a big fan of the Panasonics coming out of Japan... You can pop over to www.dynamism.com. I didn't buy my R3 from them (got it in HK), but their support/warranty info looks REALLY good. I would think the W5 or the Y5 would fit your needs very well.

encece
12-02-2006, 05:54 PM
No I use it as a desktop...with rare traveling abilities. I was trying to reiterate the quality of Toshibas. a 15" would be better for travelling.

SteveHoward999
12-02-2006, 07:17 PM

No I use it as a desktop...with rare traveling abilities. I was trying to reiterate the quality of Toshibas. a 15" would be better for travelling.

I've yet to travel more than 5 miles with mine. I have a nice Targus case for it that seems big enough for a 19 incher ... soon I'll find out if it's a pain or pleasure. I understand that it's too big for normal drop-down table on a plane, but that's what PDAs and SmartPhones are for ;-)

Foxbat121
12-03-2006, 01:32 AM

SO far I'm very pleased with mine. I've seen no instability. Performance is fantastic. I do multimedia development for a living. Nothing so hot has high-end 3D, but typical Flash/PhotoShop/Video etc stuff. Multi-tasking is a breeze with this E1705 Dell.

From the reviews I read, Core 2 Duo trades bettery life for performance compared to original Core Duo. It's about 30% less battery life IIRC. Hence, I'd stick with a Core Duo laptop. If you travel a lot, a 12" or 14" wide screen would be perfect. I've very happy with my Dell E1405 Core Duo 1.83GHz. It gives me 4 and half hours of battery life with Wifi on and regular battery cells.

Mike Temporale
12-03-2006, 02:31 AM
Also the TP has a recovery partition - where, with the blue button on startup, I can restore the machine to a clean factory spec from a hidden partition.

Yeah, I've used that a couple times. It makes for a really simple rebuild. :D

The T series TPs are the thin, power user machines - with titanium lids - very cool.

Tell me about it. I've got a dent in the hardwood on my floor where my wife accidently knocked my T30 off the coffee table and it landed corner down on the floor. Thanks to the titanium lid my laptop kept on going. If it had been anything else, I'm certian it would have destroyed the screen.

I think you've really answered your own question. You bought a Thinkpad that has been your go to machine for 3 years - a lifetime in technology years. Not sure with that track record, I would be looking for anything other than the current model of what I carried for so long.

4 years, but who's counting. :lol: I like the ThinkPad line, but a lot has changed since I bought mine 4 years ago and that's my concern. Perhaps there's no reason for concern, but I can't help but think that things are going to be different now.

Mike Temporale
12-03-2006, 02:34 AM

Fair enough. I would think a 17" would be awkward for travel. My old machine was 14" and that was a good size. Adding 3 more inches would be huge! (not that I don't like the size)

I've always felt that Toshiba's are solid, but I've also found them slow in comparison to an equally spec'ed machine from the competition. Is that still the case? Does anyone else notice that?

SteveHoward999
12-03-2006, 03:49 AM
I've always felt that Toshiba's are solid, but I've also found them slow in comparison to an equally spec'ed machine from the competition. Is that still the case? Does anyone else notice that?

Yes.

ctmagnus
12-03-2006, 04:50 AM
Me, also. Imo, much slower.

tonywalk
12-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi Mike,

From experience, though YMMV, don't compromise by getting an ultra-portable. I did - a Sony S1 (S150 in Canada/US?) and ended up buying a bigger laptop - Dell Inspiron 9400 (E1705?) and a tablet PC - HP/Compaq TC1100.

The (excellent) 1920x1200 screen on the Dell helps whilst programming, and while the Dell keyboards aren't up with the IBMs and HPs these days, they are better than the rest.

The 1024 x 768 screen I have on my late model TC1100 is fabulous, whilst the accuracy of the handwriting recognition has to be seen to be believed. The thin keyboard for this is detachable, and though not great, is fine for simple use.

Note that the TC1100 is a discontinued model and the later HP tablets are bigger and heavier. Sooooooo, if you go this route and can't get a TC1100 (refurb?), I would look at the Motion computing models with the "View Anywhere" screen, though their keyboard is extra.

If you can only get the one machine, I would go for either the Inspiron 6400 (e1505?) or the Inspiron 640m (???). I've seen (and used briefly)both the 640m and the 6400's predecessor (6000) and they stack up well as baby brothers of my 9400. Don't know about that 1501 though. All my Dell's have been pretty durable, even the design-flawed Inspiron 8500 - mine's still going strong. My original Inspiron 7000 was still providing useful service until recently when it was stolen from my Neice's University house. It was replaced with the 6000.

Hope this helps,
Tony.

nosmohtac
12-04-2006, 04:52 PM
I bought a Dell XPS M1210 a few months ago from the Dell outlet center. It was half the price of a new one and I'm very happy with it, although I did have to reformat the HDD and do a fresh install of XP (dell bloatware).

It has a beautiful 12 inch screen, built-in webcam and mic, 2gb of RAM, 2GHz core duo, WiFi G, Bluetooth, 256MB graphics card, HD audio card, 120GB HDD, and dual layer dvd burner. all in a 4.3lb package.

I did buy an extended battery and I get 5 hrs with a BT DUN connection.

This is my first Dell and so far I'm extremely happy with it.

algorhythm
12-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I haven't seen anyone else suggest it, but my last two Windows laptops have been Sony Vaio's, and I've been very happy with them....exceptionally portable (if you pick the right models), well-built (my first one, bought in '98, is still running, with just a new battery), and have nicer keyboard action than the Toshi's.

The Lenovo Thinkpad is as good as the IBM, BTW...but I still hate the nipple. Give me a trackpad anytime. :lol:

tasi
12-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I currently use the Gateway M285 tablet. It's my first tablet, and it's a great little device, but now I know what I'd really like instead.

It's got a 14" wide screen but only 1280x768. I'd much rather have 12" widescreen with 1400x1024. The smaller and lighter, the better.

Also, the battery is kind of bulky, and adds a nice tilt, but I'd prefer a more streamlined and thinner look.

So I did the research, and I found that the best model out right now is the Toshiba M400, I was also looking at the Fujitsu T4215, but the M400 is actually better priced, and I like the look better too.

I use the tablet as a desktop (via a port replicator), and when I travel, it's a great laptop/tablet. I'll never go back to a regular laptop again, I love the flexability of the Tablet PC, and once you start using software like Microsoft OneNote, you won't understand why you never made the jump earlier!

I hope this helps!

T.

exjd
12-04-2006, 11:16 PM
I have a ThinkPad X31, which I use on the road and at the office. It has no optical devices, but I just use the CD-ROM, zip drive and floppy on my networked, old Dell Desktop (its highest and best use). It has been bullet proof. A few months ago I swapped out for a 100G hard drive and it is faster and smoother than ever. Only drawback is the integrated graphics card won't drive one of the new wide-screen external displays. But I digress...

If I needed a new laptop I would be torn between another ThinkPad ultraportable (the X60) or, heaven-forbid a MacBook. Seriously nice laptop. A bit heavier but very nice performer that can also run XP (and soon I assume Vista) via Parallels software. The pricing is comparable.

But I know your problem. Lots of good choices.

exjd

Mike Temporale
12-14-2006, 04:51 PM
So, I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and bring you up-to-date on where I am with this.

I've patched together my ThinkPad and I've got Vista up and running on it. It's not pretty and it's using mostly generic drivers, but it is running. I wish I could get the dual monitors running again, but without the correct display driver I'm left with only one screen at a time. :? I also had to take apart the laptop and disconnect the touch pad. That seems to be what was causing all my mouse problems.

As for a new machine; I'm stuck between the Dell XPS and the ThinkPad x60 laptops. And after a lot of thought, I think I'm going to get the XPS. But I'm going to wait for it to ship with Vista. Hopefully I can get a couple more months out of this machine. Not too worry, if things get much worse, I'll got a whole role of duck tape right here waiting to patch up this old machine. :lol:

SteveHoward999
12-14-2006, 06:20 PM
I think I'm going to get the XPS.

If my Dell E1705 is any measure, then you will not be disappointed.

ctmagnus
12-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Good call!

fwiw, I had to leave my baby at the hospital (Toshiba Authorized Service Centre) today due to a lack of video as well as a CPU fan that was running mad fast. Their estimate is two weeks at best, and that location is two and a half hours from here.

Mike Temporale
12-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Good call!

fwiw, I had to leave my baby at the hospital (Toshiba Authorized Service Centre) today due to a lack of video as well as a CPU fan that was running mad fast. Their estimate is two weeks at best, and that location is two and a half hours from here.

Ouch! that sucks. One of the things I liked about the Dell, is that I was able to bump up to a 3 year next day service agreement and still keep the price in line with competitors that only offered 1 year limited warranty.