View Full Version : Why is "keylock" such a complicated operation (PPC WM5)?

pugwonk
11-30-2006, 06:22 PM
So I moved from Smartphone to PPC, and here's my main problem. On the smartphone, you lock the keys by holding down the red "hang up" button. Woohoo!

On the PPC, you lock the keys by going to the home screen, then finding the tiny line that says "lock keypad" - which half the time I have to scroll for. Then you try to hit that with your fingernail, hit your calendar instead, then get the stylus out and have another go. Then after all that, you have to press the "off" button. I have to do this because the "off" button has a habit of pressing itself in my pocket and I need a backup keylock.

Call me a simple soul, but what I'd like to do is press the "off" button and have the keys lock _and_ the device switch into standby. Then when I want to use it again I'd like to press the "off" button and then, say, the red button, or the green one or something. I don't want to have to muddle around trying to press some area on the screen, which seems to me to be a daft idea.

Is this too much to ask? I can't be the only person doing this.

Chris

Hw6945
11-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Try either:
Start Menu / Settings / Buttons / Lock / "Disable all buttons except power button". ("Enable Keyguard" option here might help also.)
or
Start Menu / Settings / Lock - and set a password.

Ron...

pugwonk
11-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Try either:
Start Menu / Settings / Buttons / Lock / "Disable all buttons except power button". ("Enable Keyguard" option here might help also.)

I already have that, but what happens is that the power button gets pressed in my pocket and then all sorts of horrors happen, so I need the secondary lock.

I don't have "keyguard" actually - your PDA manufacturer maybe had more foresight than mine, depending on what it does...

Chris

Hw6945
12-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Ah ha. That explains what I thought was a redunancy with Keyguard.
With Keyguard set on you have to press two function buttons in sequence to unlock the keyboard after power on.
My Power button is mostly protected by my case, so I didn't use Keyguard.
So I wonder if a very simple Password would work for you to lock up the keyboard?
Ron...

hyedipin
12-14-2006, 09:37 PM
It is bad on Smartphone WM5 also.. You cannot lock while you are in conversation.. try pressing and holding HangUp button, well it hangs up! :? So you cannot easily lock the buttons if you are talking to someone, and say you want to drop your phone to your pocket and use BT or wired headset..

Mike Temporale
12-15-2006, 03:38 AM
It is bad on Smartphone WM5 also.. You cannot lock while you are in conversation.. try pressing and holding HangUp button, well it hangs up! :? So you cannot easily lock the buttons if you are talking to someone, and say you want to drop your phone to your pocket and use BT or wired headset..

This has nothing to do with WinMo5. It's 100% based on the key mappings that the manufacturer setup. Take the Samsung i320 for example, you can lock the keys by pressing and holding the button on the side of the phone - it's the quick list button. Press and hold will lock the keys, press and release will pop the quick list. :D