View Full Version : Limiting email download size

exjd
11-29-2006, 10:50 PM
When using my Audiovox SMT5600, running smartphone software version 2003, I was able to set the size of emails downloaded (e.g., only 1K) automatically (in ActivSync, server settings, inbox, limit email size to...). With my Blackjack, running Windows Mobile 5.0, I don't see any way to adjust the download size-- and I repeatedly have to choose to download the rest of emails that are only partially received. Is this functionality gone or just well-hidden?
thx!
Alan

Mike Temporale
11-30-2006, 03:21 AM
Are you downloading email over the air or via ActiveSync with your computer? You can set this under account settings on the phone for email accounts that are set up to get email over the air (not via ActiveSync)

exjd
12-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Actually, I am getting email over the air via activesync -- with an exchange server. On my smt5600's versionof activesync I could control the size of email downloads; on the Blackjack, Samsung seems to have stripped this out and I am stuck with some arbitrary limit on email size -- and then have to request the rest of the email and then request the attachment. For many emails this has become a multiple step manual process.

I am surprised this is not bothering others...

onlydarksets
12-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Go to ActiveSync on your phone, then select Menu | Options
Highlight E-mail
Select Settings

Do you see a "Limit e-mail size to:" option there?

exjd
12-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Unfortunately not. I spent nearly 1/2 hour with a great Cingular tech guy and he was also unable to find it. Where it should be is simply a listing of Outlook features I can sync (e.g., contacts, calendar, inbox), but nothing about size. Again this was easy with my smt5600.

stumpy
12-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Have the BJ conected go to Microsoft Active sync --> Tools --> Options --> Select E-mail --> Click on Settings then a window will pop up and you can select how much of the e-mail or attachment and so on...

exjd
12-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Don't mean to be dense, but I simply do not have these options. My setup is wireless activesync with Exchange server. When I click on activesync, I can either force a synchronization with Exchange or go to menu choices. The "options" in the submenu merely lists the Outlook components that can be synced. None of the other menu items is even close to the issue.

In contrast, on my SMT5600, the menu option gave me the ability to go into server settings, inbox and then choose how far back to sync and to limit email size.

Are you using ActivSync with Exchange server wirelessly?
thx

Jerry Raia
12-06-2006, 09:12 AM
I am able to set these parameters with my BlackJack and an Exchange Server. Can you get to the settings on the PC side in Active Sync?

exjd
12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
YES!!

Any idea why I could not see these settings on the phone side? (FWIW, neither could the Cingular techie who grabbed a Blackjack and duplicated my problem).

Thanks so much. That was a real annoyance.

Jerry Raia
12-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Now that you mention it. I'm not sure I ever set those on the phone side. Might not be possible. Glad you got it working! :D

dcharti
12-10-2006, 07:13 AM
I found it. It's not intuitive, but it's there:

- Open ActiveSync on the phone
- Press Menu (right softkey)
- Options is the first choice; choose it
- In the first batch of choices at the top of this list, under the "Chose the data you want to sync" heading, scroll down to Email
- Notice that when you scroll over each of those choices, the right softkey turns into a "Settings" button
- Click "Settings" once you're on Email, and on THAT screen you can set the size

exjd
12-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Fantastic. I had a feeling it had to be there somewhere on the phone if you could set it in activesync from the computer side. Great find. thx