View Full Version : Help - Blackjack SGH-I607 Re: Gmail App HTTPS problem

aet08
11-23-2006, 03:54 AM
Hi everyone, i bought a blackjack for cingular.
I downloaded an installed the Gmail.com/app
it runs on Java, and its an application to access your gmail account without using a web browser.

The problem I'm having is that when I start the program is asks "Gmail is trying to use HTTPS for communication."
I click Allow, but nothing happens and the message shows up 3 or 4 more times then it just stops.

I've looked in preferences for java, and the only option it has for HTTPS is "oneshot" or do not allow.

Anyone have any ideas?

silverbluenote
11-23-2006, 09:16 AM
I have the same issue. I tried to configure the application permissions but there is no option for 'allow network connection' or something of that sort.

Was anybody able to run gmail or google maps on his bj ?

Thanks

Jerry Raia
11-23-2006, 09:58 AM
I couldn't even get as far as you two did! The silly program wouldn't accept any text input for user name and password. Just echoed blank fields as I typed.

Go Google Go! :roll:

aet08
11-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I think it has to do with the version of Java installed on the phone. I want to upgrade it, but i don't know how

ifonline
11-23-2006, 02:22 PM
I tried Google Maps, something I really wanted as I used it on my BlackBerry, on my BlackJack. However, the HTTP permissions was so annoying I had to get rid of it. There was no option to "always allow" which meant that every time I scrolled the map around, I had to grant access to the internet. Stupid and insane.

If there is a way to fix the permissions on the BlackJack, I'm all ears as well...

NTElvin
11-24-2006, 12:03 AM
I'm having the same annoying issue. I think we'll either have to wait for a fix from Samsung (doubt it) or Google (completely possible).

aet08
11-24-2006, 04:26 AM
that's really annoying. I bought this phone just so I could have a qwerty kb for gmail and it doesnt even work. I guess Ill just return it and get a A707

ifonline
11-24-2006, 05:11 AM
Instead of getting rid of the BlackJack, why not use the built in e-mail client and check gMail through POP3? The settings, in case you weren't aware, are:

POP3: pop.gmail.com
SMTP: cwmx.com (gMail's SMTP is smtp.gmail.com, but Cingular requires that you use their mail exchange to send mail)

Hope this helps.

Jerry Raia
11-24-2006, 06:02 AM
You know it is this kind of thing that makes me wish Java would just go away. I can't think of any application I ever liked in anyway that used Java.

ifonline
11-24-2006, 06:23 AM
I've never been a fan of Java, either, both on phones and on the PC.

stumpy
11-25-2006, 12:31 AM
I tried Google Maps, something I really wanted as I used it on my BlackBerry, on my BlackJack. However, the HTTP permissions was so annoying I had to get rid of it. There was no option to "always allow" which meant that every time I scrolled the map around, I had to grant access to the internet. Stupid and insane.

If there is a way to fix the permissions on the BlackJack, I'm all ears as well...

I am assuming you guys are using Virtual earth mobile. I have no problems scrolling around the map it works great. I dont recall but I got prompted on time not sure what app. but it had a spot where you can place a check mark so you dont get prompted again. I love using the contacts feature to find locations.

dcharti
11-28-2006, 06:12 PM
I just got off the phone with Samsung, and they said any software updates for the phone will be done through and provided by the service provider, not the manufacturer.

Anyone have a number at Cingular we can bug? :)

silverbluenote
11-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Instead of getting rid of the BlackJack, why not use the built in e-mail client and check gMail through POP3? The settings, in case you weren't aware, are:

POP3: pop.gmail.com
SMTP: cwmx.com (gMail's SMTP is smtp.gmail.com, but Cingular requires that you use their mail exchange to send mail)

Hope this helps.

Hi,
I tried to configure gmail as pop client. I used the automatic config. it did connect to my gmail mailbox and started downloading (or checking) messages. it was checking about 540 messages while I know I have more archived. anyway - I couldn't see my newest messages, only the old ones ! is it because my gmail mailbox is too big ? (that's the whole point I have gmail... so I wont have to erase everything).
also - when I sent new email to myself - I didn't get it. anybody else had this problem ?

dcharti
11-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Hi,
I tried to configure gmail as pop client. I used the automatic config. it did connect to my gmail mailbox and started downloading (or checking) messages. it was checking about 540 messages while I know I have more archived. anyway - I couldn't see my newest messages, only the old ones ! is it because my gmail mailbox is too big ? (that's the whole point I have gmail... so I wont have to erase everything).
also - when I sent new email to myself - I didn't get it. anybody else had this problem ?

Being that it sounds like you have quite a few messages in Gmail, this makes sense. When a new client begins a fresh POP download, Gmail sends your oldest messages first, and it only allows downloading in batches instead of one giant download. I just did this with a new desktop email client I'm using; I started a fresh POP download, and it grabbed about 400-500 messages each time it called out to Gmail. Since I have around 6000 messages in Gmail, it took probably an hour or so to nab everything, and multiple checks to get all the messages.

This could also explain why you aren't receiving those messages you're sending yourself; Your phone hasn't gotten to your newest mail yet.

It should also be noted that Gmail doesn't allow you to download messages through POP from more than one source, like many POP services do. Once you download a batch of new messages on your phone, you won't be able to download them via POP on a desktop client. I just developed a decent workaround that I'm playing with at the moment where I use a filter to move all my Gmail messages to an IMAP account I have with my web host, and it seems to be working well so far. But this is definitely a big snag, and Google just needs to pony up and offer IMAP, IMHO. This is 2006, not 1994 anymore. 'POP' should be a vocabulary term that children ask their parents about...

"Daddy? What was POP?"

"Well son... it was a POS email protocol that web hosts from the stone ages used. It was clunky, inconvenient and silly in today's world where any and every device can get online to check email. POP was eventually beaten to death by IMAP, and then everyone lived happily ever after..."

silverbluenote
11-30-2006, 02:56 AM
Hi,

Being that it sounds like you have quite a few messages in Gmail, this makes sense. When a new client begins a fresh POP download, Gmail sends your oldest messages first, and it only allows downloading in batches instead of one giant download. I just did this with a new desktop email client I'm using; I started a fresh POP download, and it grabbed about 400-500 messages each time it called out to Gmail. Since I have around 6000 messages in Gmail, it took probably an hour or so to nab everything, and multiple checks to get all the messages.

This could also explain why you aren't receiving those messages you're sending yourself; Your phone hasn't gotten to your newest mail yet.
"

For me there was no batches... it stopped after checking first 540 messages. how do I get it to continue ?

Edtarboosh
01-28-2007, 06:50 PM
The new file at http://www.google.com/gmm