View Full Version : Which Smartphone to Buy?

Allcourt1
11-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Basis requirements are Outlook connectivity (email, contacts, calendar) and web browser as well as international). Secondary are connectivity to corporate Lotus Notes Server, and GPS.
Current accounts are with Cingular, Cingular store rep is pushing the Blackjack. Any thoughts on alternatives to compare? Thanks.

GSmith
11-21-2006, 05:46 PM
You don't mention whether you are willing to purchase unlocked devices from a third-party vendor or whether you are only willing to purchase devices offered by Cingular.

The only Windows Mobile devices currently offered by Cingular are
1) 3125 (non-QUERTY flip Smartphone)
2) 8125 (Pocket PC Phone Edition device with slide-out keyboard)
3) Blackjack (High-speed-data Smartphone with QUERTY keyboard)
4) 8525 (Pocket PC Phone Edition upgraded from 8125 including UTMS high-speed data network)

Soon to be released (rumors are indicating release in November, though it's not on the pricelist yet)

5) Treo 750 (Palm Treo Pocket PC Phone Edition device)

Also, I don't believe these particular Smartphone devices from Cingular have WiFi.

So it looks like the decision criteria might be:
Pocket PC Phone Edition vs. Smartphone
QUERTY keyboard vs. No keyboard
High-speed data (UTMS) vs. lower-speed data (EDGE)
WiFi vs. No WiFi
Cost (these Smartphones are $100-$200, whereas the Pocket PC devices are $250 to $450--with 2 year contract).

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Windows Mobilde news, blogs, audio, video, podcasts downloaded direct to your Smartphone or Pocket PC
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

Pete Paxton
11-22-2006, 08:06 AM
Well, if you live in a 3g area then I would highly consider the Blackjack. I have the Dash (similar phone but uses wifi instead of 3g) and I love it. Very small form factor but the built-in keyboard is great. With the exception of battery life, I've heard great things about the BJ.

jayjay811
12-02-2006, 04:13 PM
hands down, if you can afford to do it... get a dash... i have never had such a cool and very useful phone for the price... its small and it has all the bells and whistles.. as stated before there isnt a wifi feature for the cingular devices and the price for the service is rediculous so... go with tmobile and go with the dash

encece
12-02-2006, 05:56 PM
I disagree....stick with Cingular and the Blackjack. 3G data is only $20/month. WIth 3G who needs WiFi. 3G is everywhere (almost). WiFi is not.

Jerry Raia
12-02-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm with encece on this one.

WyattEarp
12-03-2006, 09:08 PM
It's more of what you need and use than who needs wifi. 3G is everywhere like wifi is. It all depends on carrier and location not to mention $20/mo on top of a phone plan is not for everyone and it is expensive depending on who you are. It should be part of the plan at this stage of the game especially since we are not offered anything more now than even 10 years ago except for higher prices and fewer choices of plans. Not to mention a combination of wifi and 3G is much better than just one alone.