View Full Version : HTC Working on Excalibur Replacement - Cavalier Due in Early 2007

Mike Temporale
11-17-2006, 03:30 PM
HTC has an update to the popular Excalibur in the works, and it's set for an early release in 2007 - and by early I'm talking about end of January. This new Smartphone is codenamed "Cavalier" and has some very impressive specifications. As a matter of reference, you can consider the update to be the same kind of update Samsung did from the i320 to the newly released i607. The Cavalier will be the first HTC Smartphone to sport something other than the typical 200MHz CPU. Instead, HTC has loaded it up with a 400MHz Samsung CPU! Can you say fast? If that wasn't reason enough to be excited, then I'm sure the Quad-Band (GSM/GPRS/EDGE) with UMTS (2100/850/1900), HSDPA and WiFi 802.11b/g will get your attention. No? Ok, how about 128MB ROM, 64MB RAM, Bluetooth 2.0, 2.4 inch 320x240 screen, 2 mega-pixel camera, and a 1050mAh battery all packed into a package that's just a little larger than the Excalibur. We don't have a picture of the device, but from what we've been told it's very much the same as the Excalibur. You can be sure that when we get a picture we'll be posting it for everyone to check out. So, does this news change anyone's mind about buying that newly released Samsung i607 or the still fresh Dash?

sub_tex
11-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Oh my god.

8O

My Dash is still a fresh toy in my hands, but this Cavalier..... :drool:

modgnik
11-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Finally a Smartphone fast enough for Skype?

kwues
11-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Is this a smartphone or a PPC? Touchscreen? Scroll Wheel?

HalM
11-17-2006, 05:06 PM
So, does this news change anyone's mind about buying that newly released Samsung i607 or the still fresh Dash?
This is pretty exciting news! After owning a S620 for a month, the only thing I thought it needed to be perfect was HSDPA. But the Samsung is pretty sweet and will appeal to a lot of folks regardless of competition.

I was going to wait on the Treo 750 as my next toy. But if the new HTC comes in as described, it will be a Treo killer more than a Blackjack killer and that is the way I'll go.

Jerry Raia
11-17-2006, 05:36 PM
No problem here, if it shows up on Cingular. eBay is my friend. :mrgreen:

Rocco Augusto
11-17-2006, 06:22 PM
:drool:

Pete Paxton
11-17-2006, 06:38 PM
I doubt Tmo will pick this one up since they don't have 3g. I hope they get it soon so I can get the "everything" device that this one sounds like it will be!

cortez
11-18-2006, 01:40 AM
geeze!! the guys are gonna take all my "play" money... with specs like that, i'll certainly have to "test-drive" it..

Mike Temporale
11-18-2006, 03:44 AM
Is this a smartphone or a PPC? Touchscreen? Scroll Wheel?

Smartphone ;)

Mike Temporale
11-18-2006, 03:46 AM
I doubt Tmo will pick this one up since they don't have 3g. I hope they get it soon so I can get the "everything" device that this one sounds like it will be!

That's a great point - who's going to pick this up? T-Mobile just launched the Dash, would they roll out the DashII before they get a 3G network - unlikely. Cingular just launched the i607, so it's unlikely that they will offer another QWERTY Smartphone.

saru7755
11-18-2006, 06:53 AM
holy moly.. thats what i'm talking about.. i'm not that impressed with the Dash, but this one is a killer.. i was thinking of trading my i320 for the i607 but i guess i'll hold back till this baby comes out.. :twisted:

xyphos
11-18-2006, 07:23 AM
thats just not fair that they would do this to all of us excalibur owners

Jerry Raia
11-18-2006, 08:34 AM
Cingular just launched the i607, so it's unlikely that they will offer another QWERTY Smartphone.

Maybe they will. If you include the Pocket PC Phones they carry and the Blackberry's (which are all similar to them), they seem to have no problem carrying a plethora of "Smart" devices. In addition, look at how many different plain cell phones they carry, many variations of the same thing. I think they may very well carry it.

Pete Paxton
11-18-2006, 05:15 PM
I agree with you Jerry. HTC already has a device with Tmo. The Dash takes the place of the SDA. I think this new device will take the place of the 2125. As of now, HTC doesn't have a qwerty SM with the nation's largest network. I don't think all these new great devices (e62, BJ, 8525, 750?) are going to Cingular by chance. There's power being the largest.

Tim Williamson
11-19-2006, 11:22 AM
These all seem like very minor upgrades...for me it won't be worth it to upgrade from the Dash.

There are a few things they need to fix before I would consider upgrading (remove XT9 input, fix the sticky key issue).

deavod
11-19-2006, 03:50 PM
That's a great point - who's going to pick this up? T-Mobile just launched the Dash, would they roll out the DashII before they get a 3G network - unlikely. Cingular just launched the i607, so it's unlikely that they will offer another QWERTY Smartphone.

My bet is it will get picked up by T-Mobile. With a GSM + 3G in 7 countries its got a market for the device. Plus 3G is way more rolled out in even the poorest European countries than here in the USA.

Maybe none of the US carriers will have it...who knows?

ricksfiona
11-20-2006, 06:13 AM
With these types of stats... you would think that they would introduce it as a Pocket PC Phone Edition.... Or maybe that's the plan... Introduce it as a Smartphone and later.... Introduce it as a Pocket PC Phone Edition... It would Save on development costs for sure.

This can be very interesting...