View Full Version : What's a Windows Domain?

extravagant
11-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi everyone, I want to setup an exchange server so I can get some push email on my samsung i320n. One of the requirements is to have a Windows Domain, can someone please tell me what it is and how to get one... also, I believe you need windows NT, will windows XP be good enough? Thanks.

Jerry Raia
11-12-2006, 01:42 AM
First of all you need Windows Server. NT or XP will not do you any good. Exchange Server runs on top of a Windows Server. I think by Windows Domain they meant environment. Like the server i just mentioned. Of course you will need a domain name etc. Only Exchange 2003 with SP2 does push. I'm pretty sure you'll need Windows Server 2003 as well. Not sure on that last one. At any rate what you want to do is very complicated and very expensive. A much easier route would be to pay for a hosted exchange service. There are a lot of them around.

Kris Kumar
11-12-2006, 04:02 AM
I agree with Jerry, it would be a pain to setup a Windows Domain.

Simply put, the Exchange mail server needs an authority that it can trust for maintaining and verifying user and email account information. That authority is the Windows Domain or Active Directory.

Better details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_Domain

Jerry Raia
11-12-2006, 05:37 AM
Unless of course you want to learn all about Forests and Trees. :lol: