View Full Version : Help! Broken screen on SMT5600

pookie
11-09-2006, 04:31 AM
My screen is broken on my venerable SMT5600. I'm looking to upgrade it to an SDA II. However the last 6 months of oulook contacts are on my phone memory and not my SIM card! I have some important people (mainly of the opposite sex) I need to get in touch with very soon.

I do not have a data cable and we all know how difficult it is to activate bluetooth to sync (esp. when you can't see the screen!!).

My (probably badly thought out) solution:

Could someone post the button combination that will copy my phone memory to my SIM card. Then I can pop this card into my new phone and voila! All done......

Or is there a better solution out there? Would a cellular store be able to rip this info from my phone and then port it onto another? Would activating bluetooth be easier?????

If someone could answer this ASAP I'd be eternally grateful. I don't think the desperation is that apparent on rerreading this. I'm deperate!

Jerry Raia
11-09-2006, 02:54 PM
You really need a way to connect, like a cable. Then a desktop program that allows you to remotely operate the phone could be used. You can get a usb cable anywhere. That phone uses a standard one.

pookie
11-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Thank you!

I purchased a cable to connect my phone to my computer but my PC doesnt even recognise the phone as a USB device. It keeps on saying "unknown USB device" on connection. My drivers and everything are up to date. I think that along with the broken screen there is a problem with the phones connection. The charger works though....

SO I'm back to square one. I still need to connect my phone via bluetooth to rip all my numbers off it.

Can anyone help with the key presses or any other solutions??

Jerry Raia
11-13-2006, 03:16 AM
One more thing, try every usb port you have. Sometimes it won't work on one but will an another.

pookie
11-13-2006, 11:13 AM
I tried all the ports.... multiple times..... the usb isnt evn feeding power to the phone. But the mains charger works fine. I'm not sure what that means......

Any help?

Jerry Raia
11-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Might be that more than the screen is damaged. :(

Sven Johannsen
11-15-2006, 04:29 AM
You do kinda need ActiveSync installed on the PC to talk to the phone at all. Then if you also install Outlook on the PC, lo and behold, all the contacts will be sync'd to the PC. Then when you get the SDA you can sync them back. Outlook and AS should have come with your 5600. They would come with the SDA if you just go get it.

Just AS can be downloaded for free from MS, but then you still don't have a good way to extract the numbers without Outlook. You could get a trial of Pocket Controller (good remote control program) and just use it long enough to do the SIM transfer thing, but SIMs don't hold all the info Contacts does, so you might lose stuff, like number of stars in notes ;)

P.S. that's Outlook, not Outlook Express

pookie
11-16-2006, 05:15 AM
Thank you guys for all your help. But as Jerry said probably more than the screen is damaged.

I have activesync and outlook on my computer but my fundamental problem is this:

How can I connect my computer to my phone to browse it/ sync all contacts etc. if the phone connectore (minUSB?) is damaged and I cannot see the screen (but I can hear the beeps etc.)

Bluetooth seems to me to be the most likely way to go esp if the phone port is damaged somehow.

I know it would be tedious in the extreme to post this. But I have a few time sensitive contacts that I need to ring plus I would be ridiculously appreciative!

Mike Temporale
11-17-2006, 02:27 AM
have you ever partnered the device with bluetooth before? If not, it's a big undertaking and one that I don't know if it would be possible without being able to see the screens.

Jerry Raia
11-17-2006, 03:00 AM
It is barely possible when you can see the screen!