View Full Version : GPRS & WAP Data Costs Question

extravagant
10-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm with Fido in Toronto, I have the unlimited data for GPRS.. but since I got the samsung i320n, I've used the WAP a bit so I can download Google Maps. Now, I've got on my bill that I've used 366 kilobytes which cost me $10.50 extra. I'm wondering since WAP is using GPRS, how come I got charged more? Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

AdamaDBrown
10-30-2006, 11:08 PM
It might be a question of gateways. Try setting your WAP gateway to the same as GPRS. Alternatively, is there any option on your phone to use GPRS only?

extravagant
10-31-2006, 02:38 AM
Hi, thanks. Yeah, WAP is set to use the GPRS - well, I know it has to be something to do with WAP for the added charge, I guess i just wont use WAP again (I never really use to) .. just I'm using the Samsung i320n and you can't install Java apps without using WAP (horrible)....

Mark Kenepp
10-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm with Fido in Toronto, I have the unlimited data for GPRS.. but since I got the samsung i320n, I've used the WAP a bit so I can download Google Maps. Now, I've got on my bill that I've used 366 kilobytes which cost me $10.50 extra. I'm wondering since WAP is using GPRS, how come I got charged more? Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

Contact your provider on this one and ask why you have been charged for data when your plan includes unlimited data. Don't tell them how you used the Data. If they can tell you why they are charging you, then they can tell you how you connected.

It seems odd to me. Usually if there is a restriction on wireless Internet access the restriction is that only WAP access is allowed and any other connection (HTTP, FTP, SMTP, etc.) is blocked, not the other way around.

Mike Temporale
10-31-2006, 08:43 PM
I haven't had any extra charges on my bill. I've steared clear of WAP. mainly because I don't see any benefit to it. I just push everything through the GPRS connection.

I would go into connections and change things to make sure it doesn't happene again. i'm using internet.fido.ca

Kris Kumar
10-31-2006, 11:48 PM
Contact your provider on this one and ask why you have been charged for data when your plan includes unlimited data. Don't tell them how you used the Data. If they can tell you why they are charging you, then they can tell you how you connected.

I agree with Mark, you should contact your provider. There should not be any extra charge if you have unlimited data plan.

I dont think WAP would have caused this. But if you used dial-up internet instead of GPRS (usually some carrier configure multiple means for Internet access, and the Smartphone picks the best connection automatically, look under Data Connections) or if you used the Smartphone as a modem for your laptop.