View Full Version : Microsoft .NET Compact Framework

Argelius
10-30-2006, 03:34 PM
In my PPC days I had a number of applications I likedthat usedthe Microsoft .NET Compact Framework (dont really know what that is other than it must be installed for them to function).

Will these apps work on Smartphones ? I'm guessing not since I've tried installing both the .NETand the app itself with no luck...

There are so many versions of these Windows Mobile out there, I'm having trouble understanding what will and will not work on the Smartphones with the landscape screen like the Q and Dash.
Some things work and some dont...

Mike Temporale
10-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Yeah, this is messy.

Firstly, most PPC apps will not install on the Smartphone. There's no touch screen on the device and thus they won't work. Make sure you grab the version marked "Windows Mobile Smartphone devices"

If the application needs .NetCF it should tell you so when you download it. All the current Smartphones on the market have .NetCF1.2 or so on the device. If it requires .NetCF2 then you'll need to install that. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Argelius
10-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, this is messy.

Firstly, most PPC apps will not install on the Smartphone. There's no touch screen on the device and thus they won't work. Make sure you grab the version marked "Windows Mobile Smartphone devices"

If the application needs .NetCF it should tell you so when you download it. All the current Smartphones on the market have .NetCF1.2 or so on the device. If it requires .NetCF2 then you'll need to install that. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Thanks!
I've gone to:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0c1b0a88-59e2-4eba-a70e-4cd851c5fcc4&displaylang=en

and downloaded the .msi file. From that installer program, would you happen to know which CAB file(s) need to be installed on the phone? (I use a Mac and don't use ActiveSync to sync; I use Parallels+XP to extract the CAB files from installers then manually copy/install them on the phone).

I find two CABs in the File CompactFramework\v2.0\WindowsCE\wce500\armv4i:
NETCFv2.wce4.armv4i.cab and
NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab

Any idea which (or both of these) need to be installed?

Sorry for the totally obscure question...

Mike Temporale
10-30-2006, 06:56 PM
No clue. i'm guessing it's NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab but that's just a guess.

scottb
10-30-2006, 07:44 PM
@Argelius,

You don't mention what device you have, but on my WM5 device, the NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab is the one.

Argelius
10-30-2006, 08:34 PM
You don't mention what device you have, but on my WM5 device, the NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab is the one.

Have have the TMo Dash (a WM Smartphone)