View Full Version : Opera: what version to get for a SmartPhone

Argelius
10-29-2006, 07:30 PM
I have a TMo Dash and wanted to try out the Opera browser. Unfortunately, I cannot figure how which version to download. I thought I was an intelligent person, but opera's download page is very confusing.

Also do I need to first install some java app for it to work? I'm so confused....

Thanks..

AdamaDBrown
10-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Versions of Opera:

Opera Mobile 8.6 for the PPC. Has the most robust page rendering and features, but only available for Windows Mobile Pocket PCs.

Opera Mobile 8.0 beta 2 for Smartphone. Less robust, but works on the WM Smartphone, which is what you're looking for.

Opera Mini. This is a Java application will run on most mobile phones as well as any PPC or Smartphone which has a Java midlet manager. Some people (myself included) choose to use it in addition to, or as a replacement for, other browsers because it goes through a special proxy that strips down and reformats the page, making it much faster and more viewable.

Argelius
10-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Versions of Opera:

Opera Mobile 8.6 for the PPC. Has the most robust page rendering and features, but only available for Windows Mobile Pocket PCs.

Opera Mobile 8.0 beta 2 for Smartphone. Less robust, but works on the WM Smartphone, which is what you're looking for.

Opera Mini. This is a Java application will run on most mobile phones as well as any PPC or Smartphone which has a Java midlet manager. Some people (myself included) choose to use it in addition to, or as a replacement for, other browsers because it goes through a special proxy that strips down and reformats the page, making it much faster and more viewable.

Oh Man, thanks!!

I assume http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/winmobile/ is the version you are speaking of?

scottb
10-29-2006, 10:03 PM

Opera Mobile for Smartphone 2003 was released over a year ago. What beta version are you referring to? Please provide a link.

AdamaDBrown
10-30-2006, 07:01 AM
My mistake, the Smartphone version is "Update 2" or the like. And yes, that's the right link.