View Full Version : answering machine type program for wm5 smartphone?

heov
10-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Is there a program where when it's set to ON, it'll automatically answer my calls and play a message...

For Example, Pick up the incoming call (or form certain ppl perhaps) and say "I'm in class, leave a msg" and then record the msg...

Kris Kumar
10-23-2006, 01:45 AM
I am not aware of one, but I like the idea. Someone should write this program.

scottb
10-23-2006, 03:38 AM
I would like to see this too. I had an old phone (non-Smartphone) that has an answering mcahine built-in and I liked the idea.

heov
10-23-2006, 04:11 AM
yeah you would think something like this exists for WM5. I think it does for the Samsung d900, but i'm not sure.

But yeah, i could really use something like this.

Mike Temporale
10-23-2006, 01:45 PM
I don't understand how this is different than the voice mail that your carrier offers? Just drop your phone in flight mode and all calls will go right to VM or, when a call comes in just press the hangup key and it would send it to VM.

scottb
10-23-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't understand how this is different than the voice mail that your carrier offers? Just drop your phone in flight mode and all calls will go right to VM or, when a call comes in just press the hangup key and it would send it to VM.
The app I'm referring to actually records the message right on the phone. No need to call voice mail to retrieve it--it's a portable answering machine built-in to your phone.

heov
10-23-2006, 04:50 PM

the obvious advantage is this: you can have easily customizable message play backs.

let's say i go to the library. I set my phone to "library." when i get an incoming call, instead of voice mail, this program ANSWERS the call and says "I'm in the library, leave a msg." from there, the phone can take the msg or it can direct it to voice mail. i dont' care.

it would be nice to have hte recordings stored on my phone, though.

but the big thing for me is easily customizable away msgs. "I'm working out." "I'm in class right now."

My voice mail just tells them I didn't answer. I'd like certain callers to know what I'm doing or why I didn't answer.

Mark Kenepp
10-23-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't understand how this is different than the voice mail that your carrier offers?

There was a big descussion (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1004687) about this over at HoFo (http://www.howardforums.com/).

They convinced me that it is a viable application that would fulfill the needs of some users. Me personally, I don't get enough phone calls on my mobile to warrant a voice mail application.

Now, if I were in Europe, where incoming calls are free, it would be much more appealing to me.

Jerry Raia
10-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Some of the old Motorola cell phones had answering machines built in. You could screen incoming calls with it also.

Mark Kenepp
10-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Some of the old Motorola cell phones had answering machines built in. You could screen incoming calls with it also.

Do you mean by actually listening to the caller leaving a message, then picking the call up, or by knowing the number calling?

Jerry Raia
10-23-2006, 11:50 PM

Do you mean by actually listening to the caller leaving a message, then picking the call up, or by knowing the number calling?

Yeah you could listen to the caller leaving a message, just as you would on a home answering machine, then pick up if you wanted. It was pretty slick. I think it was the MicroTac Elite. I'm going back about 10 years here.

gai-jin
10-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah, many of the sanyo phones from sprint had this feature as well. I'm thinking about 2-3 years ago, there was a very popular candybar sanyo phone, I don't recall the model. It was also available in a clamshell style.

Jerry Raia
10-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I would still like to see a feature like that.