View Full Version : Happy Diwali

Kris Kumar
10-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Wondering how many of our readers are from India and/or celebrate Diwali?

Happy Diwali to our readers. :-)

Chances are you are reading this post, and wondering what Diwali is all about. In short it is like the Indian version of Christmas. People exchange gifts and put up lights in their house. A very festive occasion. More about it over here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali)

In case you celebrate Diwali, please drop in a line.

Jerry Raia
10-22-2006, 02:22 AM
If you are celebrating it then Happy Diwali to you Kris! :D

Kris Kumar
10-22-2006, 06:44 AM

Thank You...

Just got back from one fun Diwali party. I am the kind of person who is never know to be at any party after 11PM (I know for some the party starts at 11 but I am different). But this one, we were there beyond 12:30 AM.

Jerry Raia
10-22-2006, 06:49 AM
Excellent. Glad you had a good time. Just save your appetite for the Garbage Plate event we have coming up. :lol:

SPPassion
10-22-2006, 10:58 AM

Thank You...

Happy Diwali Kris. I live in Washington DC area but was fortunate enough to celebrate this festival with my family here in India after 7 years. It was a blast!

Kris Kumar
10-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Happy Diwali to you, SPPassion. Wow, you are celebrating Diwali in India. Its been more than 7 years since I celebrated it in India.

Enjoy your stay.

Jerry Raia
10-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Is it just one day? What day is it every year?

Kris Kumar
10-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Is it just one day? What day is it every year?

It is just one day like Christmas. But people planning weeks and months in advance. Taking vacation, visiting family and friends. Plus gift exchange - usually sweets.

I believe it falls on the new moon night (so there is no fixed date), in the month of October-November, according to the Hindu calendar.

Jerry Raia
10-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Kind of like the way Easter moves around.

Mike Temporale
10-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Sorry I wasn't online over the weekend, I hope you had a great Diwali :!:

Kris Kumar
10-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Sorry I wasn't online over the weekend, I hope you had a great Diwali :!:

Thanks Mike.

maryannsms
08-18-2009, 08:31 PM
All Indians living outside India celebrated diwali in grand manner. The temples will be conducting fire works and supplying diwali sweets. Indian Associations and Federations will conducting various sports and Cultural activities on diwali season.

I love Diwali in India:D