View Full Version : Can't Use Custom Homescreens in Samsung i320n

extravagant
10-19-2006, 06:31 PM
hey everyone, anyone have any idea why I can't use custom homescreens by putting in the XML in the application data/home directory? I would like to have the MSN Default one with no calendar and to remove the carrier text to consolidate the date/time into one line therefore there will be no scrolling. ANy ideas anyone? And also, I was able to install the .CAB homescreen from kl1weder's website which worked but i can't modfiy etc. thx

Jerry Raia
10-19-2006, 06:59 PM
When you say you can't use it what do you mean? It doesn't show up on the list of available screens?

extravagant
10-19-2006, 07:00 PM
yeah, nothing shows up. I tried modifying the one i got from kl1weder's site, and one of the default XMLs but nothing seems to work..

Jerry Raia
10-19-2006, 07:05 PM
I have seen this problem before. You have to be real careful with the .xml file names and with the name in the "<Title>" tags in the file as well.

extravagant
10-19-2006, 07:20 PM
thanks - any idea how I can get a proper one working?

Jerry Raia
10-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Start with one that works, copy it out so you have a backup. Then modify it. Also note the file names. If the file names are over a certain length they don't show up on the list. Something like that. It has been a while since I have tried it.

extravagant
10-19-2006, 07:33 PM
hmm think is I tried all that - copied ones that work, renamed them, change title, contacturl tag etc ... nothin seems to works! :( lol

Jerry Raia
10-19-2006, 07:37 PM
What if you don't even rename them? Just modify the code? One more thing. If there are errors in the body of your code, or even things the the OS doesn't like but are legitimate xml, the file might not show up. I seem to remember having that problem once myself.

Mike Temporale
10-19-2006, 07:58 PM
If you install the latest homescreen's from his site, then before you change anything, try to set it as the active home screen. That should work for you. It does for me. Then you just have to carefully edit and keep a backup in case things don't work after.

Jerry Raia
10-19-2006, 08:02 PM
If you install the latest homescreen's from his site, then before you change anything, try to set it as the active home screen. That should work for you. It does for me. Then you just have to carefully edit and keep a backup in case things don't work after.

Have you ever seen what I was talking about Mike? Files don't show on the list if they have coding errors in them?

Mike Temporale
10-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Have you ever seen what I was talking about Mike? Files don't show on the list if they have coding errors in them?

I wouldn't know, I don't make coding errors. :lol: ;) I'm just joking, yes, I've seen that too. His latest homescreens install via CAB so there shouldn't be any problems. Unless....

extravagant, are you unpacking the CAB file on your desktop and then copying the files across to your device? Windows will see the CAB file as a sort of zip folder and allow it to be uncompressed. DON'T DO IT. Leave it as a CAB and copy the whole file to your phone. Then once it's on the phone, use the file manager (from the phone) and run it. It should prompt you for installing and let it go.

Jerry Raia
10-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Of course you don't make coding errors. 8)

I thought he was modifying the xml files himself.

extravagant
10-20-2006, 04:34 AM
hi guys! yeah I ran the CAB from K1lweder's theme, I was actually able to modify the existing XML which got unpacked to Application Data/Home .... works great now.. thanks for your help everyone.. but I do wonder why it didn't work the first 50 times I did that..

Also, just a quick question.... how do you turn GPRS off? You just press the End key then I see the G disappears.. (but then I see it comes back quick) is that all?

Jerry Raia
10-20-2006, 06:05 AM
The G in the top center? That just tells you its available.

extravagant
10-21-2006, 04:59 AM
no not the G in the middle, I mean the G on the reception bar....if u press END then it disappears, does that mean its completely off is what I'm wondering...

Jerry Raia
10-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Yes when that G is gone you are not connected. Even when it is on though, it doesn't necessarily mean data is flowing. Just means you are connected.

extravagant
10-21-2006, 05:59 AM
oh, I wonder if I keep it 'connected' all the time if my battery will drain fast?

Jerry Raia
10-21-2006, 06:29 AM
That is the subject of some controversy.

extravagant
10-21-2006, 09:34 PM
oh i see

Also, when I'm connected via activesync to my computer, for some reason the passthrough doesn't work... any ideas? I can't use GPRS either while i'm connected to my PC... and yah I put the settings to passthrough, automatic and GPRS.... GPRS only works while not connected.... thx

Jerry Raia
10-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Who is your carrier?

extravagant
10-21-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm with Fido

Jerry Raia
10-21-2006, 11:41 PM
I know with Cingular there was an issue similar to this. There were proxy settings for GPRS that conflicted when you tried to use pass through.

extravagant
10-22-2006, 12:59 AM
hmmm i have a proxy that seems to be needed for the WAP browser .. man, this windows mobile stuff is really complicated lol, Google Maps wont even display in the satelite mode saying the phone doesn't support JPEGs!

Jerry Raia
10-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Start this on another Thread (New Topic in just chattin). Will get the attention of the people who have struggled with this issue already. :)

Mike Temporale
10-23-2006, 01:23 PM
oh i see

Also, when I'm connected via activesync to my computer, for some reason the passthrough doesn't work... any ideas? I can't use GPRS either while i'm connected to my PC... and yah I put the settings to passthrough, automatic and GPRS.... GPRS only works while not connected.... thx

This should be a configuration issue. I'm also on Fido and it works just fine for me. Did you get it working? If not I'll try and post all my settings and you can compare.