View Full Version : Windows Mobile Bluetooth: Broken Out of the Box

Jason Dunn
10-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This post was originally titled "Bluetooth: Why Won't You Work For Me?" when I published it, but I've now updated the title to something more apt. Read on to see why.

Last night I was at our Calgary Pocket PC Usergroup Meeting (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51644), and I gave one of my business cards to someone that came for the first time. Yeah, I'm a bit old-school when it comes to business cards, I prefer paper to beaming. ;-) At any rate, the person didn't have a business card in return, so I suggested a Bluetooth beaming from his I-Mate Jasjar to my Qtek 8500 (HTC Star Trek) phone. I knew my Bluetooth was turned on, so I expected it to work. He saw my device, tried the transfer, and it failed. I went in and checked my Bluetooth settings, and while Bluetooth was turned on, it wasn't in Discoverable mode...but if that's the case, how did he see my device to begin with? We tried a few more times, and it continued to fail. He was able to Bluetooth squirt his contact from the Jasjar to a Motorola Q that our moderator Jeff Rutledge had without a problem. Jeff then tried a Bluetooth transfer from the Q to my Qtek 8500 - it also failed. I tried turning Bluetooth off, then on again, putting it in Discoverable and non-Discoverable mode, and nothing worked. I tried rebooting my phone, which I often have to do when the dial-up networking stops...networking. No change. I ended up using VoiceMinder (http://software.pocketpcthoughts.com/product.asp?id=8511) to send myself a reminder to ask Jeff for the contact via email later. How lame is that?

This morning I did a few more experiments with my own Jasjar, and was able to reproduce the same problem. I know what you're thinking: this is a problem with the Qtek 8500, not Bluetooth. The problem is that both of these devices are Windows Mobile 5 devices, with AKU2 on them, and both are using the Microsoft Bluetooth stack. If you can't have stable, compatible communication among devices with the same operating system and same Bluetooth stack...how can we ever rely on it?

UPDATE: Ok, so the ever-wise Janak pinged me a few minutes after this post went live, and after some discussion we managed to figure it out. Are you ready for this? On my Qtek 8500 Smartphone, if I go into Settings > Connections > Beam, the box is un-checked by default, meaning it will refuse all incoming beams without even prompting the user. I've never even looked at that setting on this Smartphone, because it lacks an infrared port, so why would I check Beam settings? You'd think that all relevant Bluetooth settings would be on the Bluetooth settings screen, wouldn't you? Like, say, a setting that would allow/disallow your device from receiving any sort of incoming Bluetooth "beam" (bad term for it to begin with, it muddies the water with IR). But wait, it gets better: even after I enabled my phone to receive incoming "beams", it wouldn't work smoothly. The Qtek 8500 tried to set up a full partnership with the Jasjar, which isn't what I wanted of course. Puzzled, I checked my Bluetooth settings again - and Obex Authentication was turned on (I don't recall turning it on - can anyone with a Qtek 8500 or Cingular 3125 confirm for me what the default state is?). That means my phone would completely refuse all incoming Bluetooth OBEX transfers (contact cards, appointments, etc.) automatically without prompting the user.

So let's recap, there's one, possibly two settings configured, by default, to completely ignore incoming Bluetooth OBEX transfers without prompting the user at all. Did anyone actually use the Qtek 8500 before they shipped it? I can't say this for sure, but I'm willing to bet this is the Windows Mobile default configuration, locked down for maximum security and minimal thought for end-user scenarios, and the Windows Mobile team was expecting the OEM to change it. Just like they expect the OEMs to change the registry setting for the Internet Explorer Mobile cache size. And the caller ID photo size. And everything else that the OEMs completely ignore when they rush a device out the door. I wish I could say this surprises me, but it doesn't: Microsoft continually uses poorly thought-out default settings, the OEMs don't change them, and the end user suffers. Does anyone care about the actual usability of these products? From where I'm sitting right now, it doesn't seem like it.

eric
10-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Jason,

Just purchased my 3125 about a week ago. The OBEX box IS checked on my device. So far I have only set up BT for headphones.

If someone with your level of knowlege (and those you were with) can't figure out how to get BT to work for them, how could the laymen possibly begin :?

Side question--is there a "flight mode" on the 3125 like there is on the SMT5600 & 2125? If you've found it would you mind sharing how to access?

vincespt
10-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Ahhh! Thanks for that! It explains why I was unable to recently beam a contact from a C550 to my sp5. However when i beamed it to my Vario II it worked as the Vario seems to have the box ticked by default I've just checked - weird!

I remember my old palm (those were the days!) would accept everything by default but put up a screen asking if you wanted to accept it...wouldn't that make life simpler?

Mike Temporale
10-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Side question--is there a "flight mode" on the 3125 like there is on the SMT5600 & 2125? If you've found it would you mind sharing how to access?

Yes. A quick tap on the power button should bring up the Quick List. Flight mode should be in the top 2 or 3 items in the list. If it's not there (and it should be there) you can run the Com Manager and toggle it from there. 8)

Jason Dunn
10-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Yes. A quick tap on the power button should bring up the Quick List.

Actually, if the 3125 is like my Qtek 8500 (and I bet it is) the power button thing doesn't work. I was baffled, and really ticked off, at that for weeks until someone commented on my review that you have to press and hold the HOME button to bring up the quick list. Why HTC would change that is beyond me, but it works well know that I know how to do it. ;-)

onlydarksets
10-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Yes. A quick tap on the power button should bring up the Quick List.

Actually, if the 3125 is like my Qtek 8500 (and I bet it is) the power button thing doesn't work. I was baffled, and really ticked off, at that for weeks until someone commented on my review that you have to press and hold the HOME button to bring up the quick list. Why HTC would change that is beyond me, but it works well know that I know how to do it. ;-)

That's how the Q does it - maybe they are taking a page from Moto's playbook?

Rocco Augusto
10-13-2006, 09:07 PM

i can understand why they do this, with my 3125 if i press the power button for more than a second, my phone shuts off which was really annoying when i was trying to open the quick list/comm manager. since the phone takes so darn long to turn off/on, i doesn't surprise me that they would move the button so users wouldn't suffer the fate i did :)

also, as for the BT. i enjoy that it is off by default. working in the cell phone industry, you work with a lot of "children" that like to think it is amusing to take pictures of their naughty bits and bluetooth them to an unsuspecting coworker. for me, turning off beams by default was a godsend! :lol:

Jason Dunn
10-13-2006, 09:11 PM
also, as for the BT. i enjoy that it is off by default. working in the cell phone industry, you work with a lot of "children" that like to think it is amusing to take pictures...

Ok, I can understand that - but can you think of a single reason why that checkbox shouldn't be in the main Bluetooth interface so it's easy to see?

john1027
10-13-2006, 10:44 PM
One other quick way to the Comm Mgr if you are using the Windows default home screen layout.

Scroll to the carrier line where the date and time also appears. Press the center of the jog dial and it will take you to Comm Mgr (at least that works with the Cingular ROM).

Rocco Augusto
10-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Ok, I can understand that - but can you think of a single reason why that checkbox shouldn't be in the main Bluetooth interface so it's easy to see?

i can.... ready?

because they knew it would drive you crazy ;) :lol: