View Full Version : Skype - Pocket Controller

bshpmark
10-01-2006, 08:55 AM
I installed the latest version of the Skype for mobile on my SDA. I forgot, like an idiot, that I need to use the SOTI Pocket Controller software the first time I use Skype on the SDA in order to activate everything from my desktop PC. Of course the trial version of Pocket Controller is now expired.

Does anyone know of anyother piece of software that I can use to activate Skype on the SDA from my desktop without having to pay $34.95 for a one time use? You can't re-install Pocket Controller because it knows you have already installed it once.

Mike Temporale
10-01-2006, 01:33 PM
yeah, you can use the True Connect software from Raspberry. It allows you to move your mouse from your desktops screen on to your phones screen. http://www.raspberrysoftware.com/trueconnect.htm

8)

bshpmark
10-02-2006, 02:30 AM
Thanks, Mike. T just tried TrueConnect but even though the mouse pointer is now on the SDA screen, clicking where it says to tap here is not having any effect. I still can't get in.

Guess I will have to figure out where SOTI hides their registry key on my desktop so that I can delete it and reinstall the trial version of Pocket Controller.

Mike Temporale
10-02-2006, 02:11 PM
oh, that's too bad. I can't think of any other applications that allow you the same type of control. :?

bshpmark
10-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Well, I did find another piece of software that will work! It is in the Windows Mobile Developer Power Toys and can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=74473fd6-1dcc-47aa-ab28-6a2b006edfe9&DisplayLang=en

After you run the software on your PC, you will find a icon called ASRDISP (for ActiveSync Remote Display). Make sure the SDA is connected via ActiveSync and then run that program on your PC. You do not have to install anything on the Windows Mobile device. You may get an error message but just click it and ignore it. In a second or two the SDA screen will display on your PC monitor. You can then use the mouse and keyboard to control the SDA.

There are a couple of drawbacks that I did notice. I may not have been doing something right though. For one, if your username or password has a numer or numbers in it, there is a problem entering it from the keyboard. For example, if your username has a "6" in it and you use the PC keyboard to enter a "6", you are actually entering an "m" because one short press of the 6 key on the phone's keypad is actually an "m". Also, the mouse did not always work to make selections of the right and left softkeys.

The other major drawback is that you cannot scroll down the screen of the device using the mouse. You have to use the down and up arrows on the PC keyboard. For example, you can't select items on the home screen like mail or Wi-Fi connection with the mouse. You have to use the arrow keys. However, if the program you are running has a slider bar on the side for scrolling, the mouse will controll it.

Other than that though, for being free, it worked great and now Skype is up and running again.

aximilation
10-22-2006, 12:09 PM
That's cool, I'm sure it will be useful. Is it just me, or is it impossible to dial new numbers in Skype? I used the SDA and it gave me trouble, I had to add a contact on the computer every time I wanted to dial a new number, major pain.

bshpmark
10-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Unfortunately you have to do the work on the PC and save it as a contact. Then you can use that contact on the SDA. Hopefully they will have a true Smartphone version out soon.,

aximilation
10-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Bah, I thought as much. Oh well. At least it works!