View Full Version : Programs able to be run on Windows Mobile 5.0

Feynman
09-21-2006, 01:56 AM
I have no experience with Microsoft Windows mobile operating system and have a Nokia 9500 currently.

I have decided it is time for a new phone and am considering one with Window Mobile 5.0 (For example an iMate JasJar).

However, after looking on phone manufacturer's and Microsoft's website, it is not clear exactly what I can run using Windows Mobile.

More specifically, what if any, regular Windows programs can run?

Thanks and sorry for the basic question.

Mike Temporale
09-21-2006, 03:26 AM
More specifically, what if any, regular Windows programs can run?

None. Windows Mobile devices require applications that are specifically designed to run on the mobile device. There are loads of applications out there for Windows Mobile devices. Just make sure the one you're looking at says Windows Mobile 5 and not 2003 or 2002.

And just so you know, the jasJar is a Windows Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition device and not a Windows Mobile Smartphone. ;) If you are looking for specific Pocket PC questions, you'll have better luck asking those on our sister site Pocket PC Thoughts (http://www.PocketPCThoughts.com) :wink:

Feynman
09-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply.

But what advantages does that have over a non-windows system, like from Nokia then?

Is there a non-financial reason why Microsoft have done this?

Mike Temporale
09-21-2006, 03:41 AM
Non-financial? I'm not following what you mean by this.

These devices are very different than your everyday computer. They have different CPUs, different memory considerations, and different display considerations - to name a few. They may be powerful, but it's not the same as a laptop. It's not unheard of to install a 20 MB application on your computer. But on a mobile device, you can't spare 20MB like that. Everything is limited and you have to take a lot more care in what your doing - from a developer point of view.

As for advantages over Nokia; well there's a lot IMHO. Nokia's email application is horrible, the navigation is clunky and slow in comparison. From a developers point of view, Nokia requires a steep learning curve, while anyone that currently develops for Windows can easily start developing for Windows Mobile since things are so closely tied.

Hope that helps.

ditch_azeroth
09-21-2006, 06:16 AM
for what it's worth, i have an i-mate sp5m. ever since, i have shunned away from nokia's or se's. there's almost nothing those phones can do that a windows mobile phone can't do better. customization is great on wm phones. development is easy. games are phenomenal. so on and so forth. you know that saying "once you go black, you don't go back"? well, that's how i feel with wm phones. never a boring day ^_^