View Full Version : Zune Phone Part of the Future Plans

Jason Dunn
09-15-2006, 12:42 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060914:MTFH56298_2006-09-14_21-06-38_N14304886&type=comktNews&rpc=44' target='_blank'>http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060914:MTFH56298_2006-09-14_21-06-38_N14304886&type=comktNews&rpc=44</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Microsoft Corp. said on Thursday a Zune-branded phone is part of its future plans to expand in the digital music market, now dominated by Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod. "A Zune phone is definitely part of the future of this brand," Chris Stephenson, general manager of global marketing for Zune, told reporters at a news conference. He did not give specific details."</i><br /><br />Bomb...dropped. A Zune phone? That sure came out of left field - what about Windows Mobile and Smartphones? If the Zune brand is a Microsoft "we build it" solution, that means Chris Stephenson is saying that Microsoft is going to build their own phones. That's one wild concept when you consider the impact it might have on Windows Mobile, all the partners Microsoft has, the carriers, and everyone else invested in the current offering. What about Photon, the next-generation version of Windows Mobile? This simple statement from Chris Stepheson is a bombshell - and it spawns dozens of questions.<br /><br />My five-minutes-of-thinking-about-it take? Windows Mobile will continue moving forward, and Photon will stay on track. The Zune phone will be a narrow solution specifically aimed at the music-loving phone users, and be 100% entertainment-centric, lacking in the personal information management goodies we've come to expect from Windows Mobile phones. It will have a great media experience, but will be closer to a feature phone than a real Smartphone. In fact, I'm guessing it will be application-locked just like Portable Media Centers are - meaning no third party applications can be installed on it. So, in some ways, it will just be a really slick "dumbphone".<br /><br />I asked a Microsoft spokesperson for an official response, and here's what he said: "Zune is all about connecting people to their music. It makes sense that Zune could be a part of a phone experience. But there has been no determination of how that will be executed or when it will happen."

dwest218
09-15-2006, 02:44 AM
Put a 30 gb hard drive in it, smooth looks, and a numbered keypad and I will definitely be interested. But don't take a Motorola E398 and call it an Itunes phone or Zune phone. I'm thinking Chocolate, hard drive, and a new skinned version of Microsoft Windows Mobile!! :)

Mike Temporale
09-15-2006, 03:45 AM
In 10 years, phones will be in everything! It won't be a cameraphone, it will be a real camera with a phone. Music players are no different. It's only a matter of time.

Rocco Augusto
09-15-2006, 05:17 AM
In 10 years, phones will be in everything! It won't be a cameraphone, it will be a real camera with a phone. Music players are no different. It's only a matter of time.

i can see it now, 3G video calling watches and a nice pair of loafers that can be substituted as a cell phone... wait wait wait, wasn't that dick tracy? ;)

Jerry Raia
09-15-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm going to loose the "no music player in the phone" war, aren't I? :cry:

Jason Dunn
09-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm going to loose the "no music player in the phone" war, aren't I? :cry:

Yup. Because people like music a lot Jerry. ;-)

Jerry Raia
09-15-2006, 05:25 PM
So do I! Devices that try to be everything end up sacrificing something.

Darius Wey
09-15-2006, 05:48 PM
In 10 years, phones will be in everything! It won't be a cameraphone, it will be a real camera with a phone.

You're telling me you're willing to hold a EOS-1D up to your ear. 8O

Jerry Raia
09-15-2006, 05:56 PM
This is exactly my point. I don't what my 30D to be a phone and a music player. I like having separate devices. That's why I have a 2125, a 8125, an iPOD and 2 cameras. They are each quite good at what they do.

Mike Temporale
09-16-2006, 01:52 AM

In 10 years, the EOS-1D will be the size of a pen. ;)

Jerry Raia
09-16-2006, 02:08 AM

In 10 years, the EOS-1D will be the size of a pen. ;)

Oh stop!

ppatt
10-29-2006, 07:26 PM
I seriously doubt that Microsoft would lock application development on any OS. That would be a first, so I am infiniately curious how they block plugin creation for MCE. I am a software developer and I could author an MCE plugin. Maybe I am missing something, but I am all ears...illuminate me please.

Microsoft has always certified apps and that is a good thing. There are a lot of crappy apps out there that can either crash a machine or interoperate poorly with other apps.

Every shred of press release, software release and design by Microsoft makes it evident how they thoroughly understand that seducing developers is what keeps their products leading the pack. Any reversal now would be self-defeating and they are smart enough to know this.

Microsoft does not want to write all the apps. From their inception they have watched evolution of 3rd party products and then either purchased or written their own versions of the key apps that are crucial to their success. Unfortunately this makes development for Microsoft OSs risky at times, or very lucrative if Microsoft buys you out. However, this effect is not so exaggerated as it would discourage most developers and overall it is a net encouragement.

I really cannot image which improvements that can be made with a more seamless MP3 phone. Today with my MCE and Orb (free download at http://www.orb.com ) I can access all my recorded tv, live tv, 40GB of music (over 300 CDs) on a device with 802.11 (or USB connected pass-thru connection) on my smartphone or a PDA phone. Perhaps this could be made simpler.

The largest flash cards today hold as much of my music as I care to lug around. I prefer not to pay for unlimited data access that would let me listen via cell access. There are also battery life issues (802.11 or provider access) and I question whether provider networks could sustain a significant portion of subscribers all doing this. However, if they wanted to they would be sure to upgrade networks to allow it, since they would make more money.

...just my impressions. I could be ignorant of exactly how apps would be locked on Zune and am interested in more info.