View Full Version : Emulators

musicskate0
09-08-2006, 05:41 AM
I just got my cingular 2125 a few days ago and am in LOVE with it!!! I have two quick questions about software on my wm5 smartphone.

1. What is the difference between PPC and SP, Can I get pocket PC applications to run on my smartphone?

2. Why can't my emulators save games?!?! I've tried both smartnes and pocketnester plus and niether save games. The pocket nester has a "save state" and "load state" option, but these don't seem to do anything. the smartnes is cool, but smallscreen and the savegame feature tries to work, but it never does and sometimes freezes resulting in me having to delete the save file. Any explanations or suggestions for other emulators would be awesome.

(I guess those questions weren't so quick after all :oops: )

Mike Temporale
09-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I just got my cingular 2125 a few days ago and am in LOVE with it!!! I have two quick questions about software on my wm5 smartphone.

Cool, glad you like it. Oh, and welcome to the site! :D

1. What is the difference between PPC and SP, Can I get pocket PC applications to run on my smartphone?

Pocket PC's have a touch screen. That's the biggest difference. They also support different resolutions, have different dialers, different start menu. But the key difference is the touch screen.

As for running PPC applications on a SP, yes sometimes you can. But now always. It's best to look to the developer and see if they have a version for the Smartphone - most do.

2. Why can't my emulators save games?!?! I've tried both smartnes and pocketnester plus and niether save games. The pocket nester has a "save state" and "load state" option, but these don't seem to do anything. the smartnes is cool, but smallscreen and the savegame feature tries to work, but it never does and sometimes freezes resulting in me having to delete the save file. Any explanations or suggestions for other emulators would be awesome.

Hrm, not sure. I haven't played with the emulators too much. You might want to try emailing the developer to see if it's a known issue or not.

musicskate0
09-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Pocket PC's have a touch screen. That's the biggest difference.

Haha, I knew that :) , just wondering if their is any real difference in the actual OS or if it was all device based. I was under the impression at first that windows mobile 5 was only a smartphone deal and pocket PC's were completly different.

AdamaDBrown
09-08-2006, 05:07 PM
1. What is the difference between PPC and SP,

Pocket PCs have touch-sensitive screens, and a different user interface. They also typically have bigger screens, more memory, etcetera.

Can I get pocket PC applications to run on my smartphone?

No. Because of the touchscreen issue, compatibility is one-way. Pocket PCs can run Smartphone software, but Smartphones cannot run PPC software.

I'm not well versed in emulators, so I'll leave that for someone else.