View Full Version : What Smartphone are You Using?

Mike Temporale
08-22-2006, 04:45 PM
The Windows Mobile Smartphone landscape has really changed in the last couple years. Now there are so many Smartphones on the market that it's hard to determine what is the most popular device. So I thought we would put it to you, our readers. I've created a poll with what I think is the ten most popular Windows Mobile Smartphones that are in use today. Please take a second to vote for the device that you are currently using and if you have a minute, please reply to the thread and let us know how you are enjoying the device.

For devices from HTC, I have used their model names since they are usually re-branded under a number of different names. If you're not sure what device you have then you'll need to check out Smartphone History (http://www.smartphonehistory.com) or Geekzone's Smart Device Matrix (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/smartdevices.asp?devicetype=Smartphone) first. If you don't see your device listed below, please select the "not listed" option and reply to the thread indicating what device you are using.

Thanks everyone. I'm guessing that Cingular's 2125 will win this. Oh, and if you have a Pocket PC based device, this poll isn't for you. ;)

Jerry Raia
08-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Ya know this is skewed against those of us who use more than one of these. I say you add every possible combination of multiple devices so that I may feel included. :mrgreen:

stevew
08-22-2006, 05:10 PM
I see the mpx 220 is lagging far behind. This is my 4th 220 and I've loved them all. :lol:

Arne Hess
08-22-2006, 05:37 PM
What, no HTC Breeze/HTC MTeoR here? 8O Come on, it's not that bad at all (if you don't live in the US...). :wink:
So I had to vote for a not listed device since I'm really using it (and hope to get a better ROM soon).

nitestrike
08-22-2006, 05:59 PM
i-mate JAMin, looking forward to the Cingular 8525 (HTC Hermes) and Cingular 3125 (HTC Start Trek) when they are finally out. Have a couple of lines that need upgrading. :-)

Mike Temporale
08-22-2006, 06:03 PM
What, no HTC Breeze/HTC MTeoR here? 8O Come on, it's not that bad at all (if you don't live in the US...). :wink:

Nah, it's not that. It's just to new. I don't expect it can be one of the top 10 devices when it's just been out for a short time. Same reason why there's no Samsung i320. I wanted to pick the 10 most popular phones that would still be in use. 8)

Pete Paxton
08-22-2006, 08:12 PM
I'd love to see this poll again when the Excalibur is about 3 months old. Until then, my SDA is great!

Mike Temporale
08-22-2006, 11:08 PM
I'd love to see this poll again when the Excalibur is about 3 months old. Until then, my SDA is great!

Good idea! I'll try and remember to run this again some time after the Excalibur has been released. :mrgreen:

jcjdoss
08-22-2006, 11:14 PM
I am really surprised at the amount of Cingular 2125 Users there are out there.

Macguy59
08-23-2006, 02:03 AM
I am really surprised at the amount of Cingular 2125 Users there are out there.

As I am about the # of Q users (myself included)

Jerry Raia
08-23-2006, 02:30 AM
I'm not surprised by the Q. It's a great device.

jcjdoss
08-23-2006, 02:52 AM
I don't know what to believe. I've heard the Q was a disappointment

Macguy59
08-23-2006, 03:14 AM
I don't know what to believe. I've heard the Q was a disappointment

Really? I read pretty much every message board looking for pro's and con's on the Q before buying one. Those that were unhappy with the Q fell into 2 categories. Those that were coming from a PPC phone edition device and those that were Blackberry users. The Blackberry users I could understand as the Q does not have 'Push' email (the upcoming update will add that) but the PPC phone edition people perplexed me. Wouldn't you expect them to know the difference between a Smartphone and PPC phone? IMO this group did not do their homework before buying one. No you can't edit documents or spreadsheets. You would think the exclusion of Pocket Word and Excel should have been a tip off :wink:

jcjdoss
08-23-2006, 03:36 AM
That was the feeling I got. The PPC people where having a hard time adjusting. I couldn't understand why people where adding that bias in their reviews.

Mike Temporale
08-23-2006, 03:47 AM
I'm not surprised by the Q. It's a great device.

I'm not really surpised that it has a strong showing. I am surprised at how strong it is. It hasn't been out that long and it's as popular as the 2125. You have to admit that's a good sign for Moto.

Jerry Raia
08-23-2006, 04:23 AM
It is great for them. They did a good job. I am starting to see lots of Q's at airports.

MitchellO
08-23-2006, 09:02 AM
I am using a Sony Ericsson M600i.

scottb
08-23-2006, 01:58 PM
I use a Q, but my backup is a Samsung i600--an oldie but I love the small size. I, too, am not surprised by the Q's popularity, but am a little surpised at the acutal numbers!

Mike Temporale
08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
I use a Q, but my backup is a Samsung i600

8O Wow! That's a pretty old backup. The speed difference between those devices must be incredible. :lol:

twestley
08-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Getting tired of carrying and finding space in jeans and shorts for both cell phone and PPC made me start looking at smartphones.

Not knowing whether I'd be happy with a smartphone (and abandoning a very nice PPC, the Toshiba e805), I did a lot of research on Smartphone Thoughts and elsewhere.

I chose the Cingular 2125 because it was the first available smartphone that I thought would meet my needs and I was already on Cingular. I'm very happy with it. I love the one-handed operation of a smartphone and the big, bright display. I had never entered much data on the PPC, preferring to use the laptop for data entry, so I don't miss the soft keyboard, handwriting recognition, Excel, or Word.

In the end, I didn't really switch. I use smartphone, PPC, and laptop as needed. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Being able to sync email, contacts, etc, makes it possible to use each for its strengths.

If I'd been on Verizon instead of Cingular, I very likely would have chosen the Q. My wife wants to switch to Verizon since all her friends are there, so I may be getting it. It's likely there will be something even better by the time our current Cingular contract expires.

--Terry

jcjdoss
08-23-2006, 06:39 PM
I agree the SMT 5600 and the 2125 have been my favorite phones by far. To bad Moto couldn't get thier MPX220 tightened up. It was probably one of the most beautifully designed smartphones to date.

bshpmark
08-23-2006, 09:55 PM
I really like my T-Mobile SDA (USA). As long as I have been into computers and electronic gadgets (since about the late 1970's) I still have never gotten used to keeping my calendar and appointment book on anything but paper. But the SDA is changing me. I still keep my tasks on pieces of paper on my desk. There's just something about that paper staring me in the face every day that makes me do the tasks.

My only real gripe about the SDA is the keypad. It's a hair too small and I don't like it that it doesn't stay lit until you start pressing keys. But those are very minor considering what all the SDA does.

I can't wait to see the Excalibur.

Mark

scottb
08-23-2006, 10:28 PM
I use a Q, but my backup is a Samsung i600

8O Wow! That's a pretty old backup. The speed difference between those devices must be incredible. :lol:

Yes, the Q is a bit snappier. 8)
These two are/were the only Smartphones Verizon ever had, so I maintain my i600 (I actually have two of them). I even sync it so it's up to date if I need it. I also had a Samsung i730 PPC device, but didn't like the "brick" in my pocket and never really embraced the touch screen--I ended up selling the i730.

MitchellO
08-24-2006, 02:16 AM
I chose the Cingular 2125 because it was the first available smartphone that I thought would meet my needs and I was already on Cingular. I'm very happy with it. I love the one-handed operation of a smartphone and the big, bright display. I had never entered much data on the PPC, preferring to use the laptop for data entry, so I don't miss the soft keyboard, handwriting recognition, Excel, or Word.

I am the opposite, entering the majority of my data on the phone, hence why I went back to a device with better input options.

kmcx8
08-28-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm surprised that you don't list the Samsung i600, which I've been using for the past four or so years. Both Verizon and Sprint provided it in the past. I love the clamshell design. I use it mostly as a phone (doh!) and a resource for calendar and personal contacts. When the internet access was working, it was painfully slow, and virtually unreadable, scrolling across the small screen.

I'm ready for an upgrade, but I have not yet seen the phone that merits an upgrade.

Mike Temporale
08-28-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm surprised that you don't list the Samsung i600,

I thought about it. The problem is that it's so old, I'm sure it was good in it's time, but there's no way it could still be one of the most used devices.

TimeHunter
08-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Motorola MPx200

Darn functional little flip style tank. Can't kill it for trying. :lol:

JohnnyFlash
08-29-2006, 04:57 AM
I love my i600, I replaced a PPC-6600 from sprint with it. I enjoy it's small size. I look forward to the next great clamshell sprint SmartPhone.

redman
08-29-2006, 05:52 AM
I was surprised that the Samsung i730 didn't make the list. I had the i600, nice size, but I had to hard reset the darn thing almost every other day (even after trying to correct this issue).. I agree the i730 is a bit heavy and slightly larger than I would dream about, but for a business owner, I LOVE all the features.

I do create excel spreadsheets, I do minor word document editing (but mostly viewing), and the touchscreen has turned out great for my entertainment uses. It took a while to figure out all the shortcuts, but now I can pretty much use my phone with one hand, much like why I enjoyed my old i600 smartphone, and the keyboard is very functional with one hand. So I feel this phone gives the easy of use of a smartphone with all the extra features of a PPC, and such a nice large screen.

Unfortunately, I would have loved a camera...... :? (can't win them all)

Cheers all!!!!

scottb
08-29-2006, 11:00 AM
If there is a poll over on Pocket PC Toughts, I'm sure the i730 will be there--it's an awesome device. However, this is Smartphone Thoughts. ;)