View Full Version : What Standard are you Using for Mobile Internet Access?

Mike Temporale
08-16-2006, 02:45 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3257' target='_blank'>http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3257</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Ok, we have 2.xG mobile data standards like GSM, CSD, HSCSD, GPRS and EDGE and 3.xG standards like UMTS, HSDPA and EVDO available and operational as well as competing standards like W-LAN and WiBro and WiMAX but which standard do you use for the mobile Internet access with your (Windows) Mobile device? I've started with CSD (which was the reason why I've created my first Windows CE homepage back in 1997) and upgraded later to GPRS. Two years ago, I've upgrade agin, this time to UMTS to upgrade to HSDPA this year but what's your current standard/technology you are using to go online on the road?"</i><br /><br />Arne Hess from the::unwired has an interesting poll about what type of connection you're using for accessing the mobile internet from your phone. For me, UMTS is not even an option here in Canada. So most of the time I'm using EDGE or if I'm outside of the city it seems to drop to GPRS. :( What about you? And don't forget to head over to the::unwired and answer Arne's poll.

Jerry Raia
08-16-2006, 04:05 PM
EDGE and EVDO :mrgreen:

scottb
08-16-2006, 06:06 PM
1x, which is not even an option in the poll. :(

Mike Temporale
08-16-2006, 06:10 PM

Is 1x not the same as EVDO?

scottb
08-16-2006, 07:28 PM
While I can't supply any technical details, I can say that Ev-DO is much faster than 1x. Also, 1x has been around a lot longer. Verizon Wireless had Q2N (Quick to Net), then 1x and finally Ev-DO.

AdamaDBrown
08-16-2006, 07:45 PM

Is 1x not the same as EVDO?

No, 1xRTT is the older non-EVDO network, practical speeds around 12 KB/second.

Arne Hess
08-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Which other 1x than EVDO and yes, I also thought 1x is the same:

1x Evolution-Data Optimized, abbreviated as EV-DO or 1xEV-DO and often EVDO, is a wireless radio broadband data standard adopted by many CDMA mobile phone service providers in Japan, Korea, the Czech Republic, Russia, Latvia, Romania, Portugal, Brazil, Israel, the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Venezuela, Angola, Mexico, Norway and Puerto Rico.

Arne Hess
08-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Then vote for CSD since GSM CSD is serving 9.6 or 14.4 Kbps only and get your free (virtual) beer... ;-)

scottb
08-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Then vote for CSD since GSM CSD is serving 9.6 or 14.4 Kbps only and get your free (virtual) beer... ;-)

Well, if we are talking speed, then I guess that would be acceptable. However 1xRTT is CDMA and CSD is GSM (actually, I thouhgt is was TDMA) and Ev-DO was the only CDMA choice I saw.

ctmagnus
08-16-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm using GSM/EDGE, mostly because of the fact that it is used in more places around the world (afaik) than CDMA technologies. And because it is my honest opinion that most of Telus' and Bell's offerings suck. And because I can use any (unlocked) GSM phone I want on Rogers.

nskgti
08-17-2006, 12:53 AM
EDGE, HSDPA and EV-DO... I'm using WiMax also, but not for a Windows Mobile device...

AdamaDBrown
08-17-2006, 05:42 AM

12 Kbytes, not Kbits. 1xRTT runs around 100 Kbits per second, making it closest in speed to EDGE.

And technically, the nomenclature CSD--Circuit Switched Data--can apply to either CDMA or GSM, as it refers to using the voice line for data rather than a seperate data standard like GPRS, EDGE, 1xRTT...

Stinger
08-17-2006, 08:48 AM
A mix of UMTS and WLAN. Now that a carrier in the UK is finally offering cheap flat rate access (T-Mobile offer flat rate data for ~$13 a month), I don't use WLAN very much at all.

UMTS all the way. :)

Arne Hess
08-17-2006, 09:56 AM
12 Kbytes, not Kbits. 1xRTT runs around 100 Kbits per second, making it closest in speed to EDGE.

And technically, the nomenclature CSD--Circuit Switched Data--can apply to either CDMA or GSM, as it refers to using the voice line for data rather than a seperate data standard like GPRS, EDGE, 1xRTT...
Ah, finally I've also found it at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000_1x) as well. :)
Looks nice, like a kind of EDGE for CDMA2000. Which Windows Mobiles supports it?
Since I come from the 3GSM world, I have limited information about the American standards. While I'm using GSM since 1993, I've never used any American standards.

Mike Temporale
08-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Which Windows Mobiles supports it?

I would imagine that the Samsung i600 would be 1x. Just a guess, but there aren't many CDMA devices so the i600 is a good guess.

drm
08-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Cingular's GPRS works great for most of my needs.

scottb
08-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Which Windows Mobiles supports it?

I would imagine that the Samsung i600 would be 1x. Just a guess, but there aren't many CDMA devices so the i600 is a good guess.
These days, any CDMA Smartphone should support 1x. The problem with the i600 is that it doesn't support Ev-DO.

ina-nyminute
08-18-2006, 02:55 AM
Verizon's EVDO most of the time, sometimes due to location it drops to 1X
. I'm doing work on the road now, so it's real handy.
btw, I get my connection to my Dell 700m laptop through my 7250 blackberry, real easy, no troubles.
Laptop connect plan adds $15 (a month) to my blackberry plan. Verizon calls it "bba", blackberry access. I'm very happy with it, I recommend it to anyone who needs mobile access.

MitchellO
08-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Sweet UMTS for me on my new SE M600i :D

Great thing is, I can surf the net and be on a phone call all at once. Great for checking an email using gmail online while on a call!

Now that was something my GSM + GPRS couldn't do :D

Paul
08-19-2006, 10:22 PM
T-Mobile EDGE

MitchellO
08-20-2006, 12:36 AM
I would also like to add that I am now getting free email as well. My provider lets you receive unlimited emails for free from the email address they provide you with. I just forward my gmail emails to that address, so when they come it I get them on my phone. If I want to reply, I just go online to gmail webmail and reply.

Best thing is it is just like push email. It uses IMAP, and the phone can be set to leave the connection open so that new emails just come through straight away. No 5-minute polling or anything. Its brilliant :D

maxnix
08-21-2006, 10:45 PM
EVDO almost everywhere!

scottb
08-22-2006, 01:51 AM
EVDO almost everywhere!

Not with the device in your avatar! :wink:

Jerry Raia
08-22-2006, 02:00 AM
No one gets away with anything in here! :lol:

MitchellO
08-22-2006, 02:03 AM
Based on avatars, I am in constant contact with the entire Federation via a high speed subspace communications channel.

ctmagnus
08-22-2006, 02:28 AM
And how much does that plan cost you every month? ;)

And I've always wondered about Jerry's avatar, as far back as when he was referred to simply as "Lasher". I'm thinking it's something hippie. ;)

Jerry Raia
08-22-2006, 02:40 AM
And how much does that plan cost you every month? ;)

And I've always wondered about Jerry's avatar, as far back as when he was referred to simply as "Lasher". I'm thinking it's something hippie. ;)

The mystery is solved for you here! :)

http://users.utu.fi/petolo/crimson/court.html

TopDog
08-22-2006, 06:58 PM
With my HTC StrTrk I always get EDGE.

With my HTC TyTN I get UMTS when I stand still, but as soon as I move around it usually drops to EDGE.

Only in a very few places here in Norway it drops down to GPRS.

MitchellO
08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
With my HTC StrTrk I always get EDGE.

With my HTC TyTN I get UMTS when I stand still, but as soon as I move around it usually drops to EDGE.

Only in a very few places here in Norway it drops down to GPRS.

That sucks. I have had my M600i for over a week, and I have not had it drop down from UMTS once. My dads Nokia N70 seems to drop to Roaming all the time. Even when sitting them next to each other, I get the proper network and UMTS, while he gets Roaming and drops back to GPRS.