View Full Version : Wireless Providers Push PDA Shipments To New High

Rocco Augusto
08-12-2006, 12:37 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9002243&source=NLT_MW&nlid=43' target='_blank'>http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9002243&source=NLT_MW&nlid=43</a><br /><br /></div>"<i>The other winner in this fast-changing market was Microsoft Corp., whose Windows Mobile operating system accounted for 54.2% of PDA platforms sold in the second quarter, compared to 22.5% with the RIM operating system and 13.4% with the Palm OS.</i>"<br /><br />If you thought that 54.2% was a high number, wait until a few more QWERTY keypad Smartphones are released. Palm and RIM should be a little bit worried! If I was in charge of RIM, I would take a page out of Palm's book an release a Windows Mobile device too. :twisted:

saru7755
08-12-2006, 03:28 AM
f I was in charge of RIM, I would take a page out of Palm's book an release a Windows Mobile device too. :twisted:

True &amp; i totally agree but to be honest with u, WM still needs to mature than what it is now, i have been using WM for close to 2 years now but i still miss my P900 &amp; P910 is some stuff.. but dont get me wrong WM is great &amp; much more advanced.. its just needs to be more user friendly.. IMO

Pete Paxton
08-12-2006, 06:07 AM
I love the Windows Mobile 5. I think it's the best OS for pda's and smartphones out there. I wish the article would have included smartphones. I also agree that when qwerty smartphones become more available (with wifi - hurry up Excalibur!) I think they're really gonna sell.

Rocco Augusto
08-12-2006, 07:13 AM
not only are they gonna sell, they're going to sell fast. when i was selling phones we would often have some of the younger individuals come into the store all hyped up on the blackberry, until they learned that it it was a very limiting operating system compared to what they wanted. those kids usually ended up with the sidekick. im wondering when someone is gonna create a sidekick like device with windows mobile on it. :twisted:

Jerry Raia
08-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Palm and RIM are done. Just a matter of time. 8)

Rocco Augusto
08-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Palm and RIM are done. Just a matter of time. 8)

i hope they don't "die" since they have such great brand recognition. even my daughter knows what a blackberry is and she is 3. blackberry has become a household name. they just need to start using the window mobile os and see the light ;) :lol:

Mike Temporale
08-12-2006, 12:02 PM
i hope they don't "die" since they have such great brand recognition. even my daughter knows what a blackberry is and she is 3. blackberry has become a household name. they just need to start using the window mobile os and see the light ;) :lol:

Palm and Netscape had great brand recognition too (for their time). They've had a good solid 10 year run but I can't see it going for another 10. They won't die anytime soon, as too many clients are already setup with their system. It will take time for them to convert. So RIM will still be around for another 5 years, at least. :wink:

Stinger
08-12-2006, 12:37 PM
The Gartner study defines a PDA as a handheld computer used primarily for storing data, so these numbers do not include smart phones such as Palm's Treo 700w or RIM's BlackBerry 71xx, but they do include cellular PDAs such as HP's iPaq 69xx and Nokia's E61.

This really is bonkers. How can you include the Nokia E61 as a PDA but not the Treo 700w?

Market research reports (and researchers) really are worthless. :)

Jerry Raia
08-12-2006, 02:52 PM
they have such great brand recognition.

Sort of like Q-tips and Kleenex. :)

kerrins
08-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I like WM but I can't see RIM going away in 5 years. It's heavily integrated with government employees and that ship takes a long time to turn. Once RIM was in then it will have to support it for more than 5 years. Palm is a lot like Apple to me, it has some very loyal followers and generally I think they have excellent design engineers ( I have never used either Palm or Apple) but they can sure make things look nice!

Rocco Augusto
08-13-2006, 01:47 AM
they have such great brand recognition.

Sort of like Q-tips and Kleenex. :)

now if only we could get them to drink the microsoft kool-aid as well! imagine it, aku 2.9 with ear cleaning action and nose protecting lotion. of course you would be able to turn both features off via the comm manager :)

(sorry, haven't had my coffee today :lol:)

sojourner753
08-13-2006, 04:07 PM
I like WM but I can't see RIM going away in 5 years. It's heavily integrated with government employees and that ship takes a long time to turn.

After the recent patent scare with RIM, I wonder how many government agencies are reconsidering that single point of failure on their communication devices