View Full Version : HTC QWERTY Smartphone Coming Soon

Mike Temporale
07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=99812&WT.svl=news2_1' target='_blank'>http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=99812&WT.svl=news2_1</a><br /><br /></div><i>"High Tech Computer Corp. (HTC), which already makes a number of Windows Mobile-based smartphones for major vendors, will step out of the shadows soon with a smartphone produced under its own name, industry figures believe. The Taiwanese ODM (original device manufacturer) is expected to deliver another Windows-based smartphone with a QWERTY-keyboard -- a sector that is becoming increasingly crowded with recent devices from the likes of Motorola Inc. and Palm Inc."</i><br /><br />Very interesting news about HTC today. Although, I can't say I'm all that surprised. QWERTY devices are all the rage and it appears that Moto has hit a home run with the Q, so why not follow suit? The Smartphone QWERTY landscape has come a long way from the early days with the Voq. Now we have Motorola's Q, Samsung's i320, and soon a HTC version. I've been saying this since Qtek and HTC merged, and now it's really going to hit home; I can't see i-mate being all that thrilled that HTC is trying to become a consumer brandname. I wonder how much longer it will be before we see an non-HTC i-mate Smartphone?

Foo Fighter
07-28-2006, 06:04 PM
What the mobile device market really needs is an innovative QWERTY MotoQ-ish phone running the Pocket PC flavor of Windows Mobile. If they can deliver that in a stylish design, reminiscent of the Q and Nokia E61, with WiFi...at a reasonable price (preferably around $400) I AM ALL OVER THIS phone!

As it is now the Q is a certainly the most coveted phone, but the fact that it lacks WiFi and runs on Smartphone keeps me away. Come on HTC, surprise me.

Mike Temporale
07-28-2006, 06:17 PM
What the mobile device market really needs is an innovative QWERTY MotoQ-ish phone running the Pocket PC flavor of Windows Mobile. If they can deliver that in a stylish design, reminiscent of the Q and Nokia E61, with WiFi...at a reasonable price (preferably around $400) I AM ALL OVER THIS phone!

You mean something like this one (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11491) from TechFaith Wireless. 8)

Foo Fighter
07-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Ooooooooohhhh! Ahhhhhhhhh!

Not bad but we'll likely never sea that phone on this side of the pond. :(

Pete Paxton
07-28-2006, 07:32 PM
If it has the build quality of the E61, Windows Mobile 5 smartphone edition, and wifi - I WILL BUY THAT PHONE!!!

Rocco Augusto
07-28-2006, 09:10 PM
i want to see a picture of this device before i get excited for it. i learned my lesson with the Breeze ;)

nathanm
07-28-2006, 11:01 PM
So part of this article is right and part of it isn't. Good chance of an HTC single-hand QWERTY this year. No details, no carrier to report yet. If/When it comes out it won't be under the HTC logo--it'll be under the carrier. HTC isn't going to release any devices in the US under their own brand anytime soon. Unstrung actually updated/corrected the article quoted above http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=99903

spacehog
07-30-2006, 06:35 AM
i can assure everyone here that is going to be the hottest smartphone to hit the market this year.

it has absolutely ravishing asthetics, all the key features the majority of users are looking for and a form factor that will make blackberries owners cry to their mothers..

Mike Temporale
07-30-2006, 01:28 PM
i can assure everyone here that is going to be the hottest smartphone to hit the market this year.

it has absolutely ravishing asthetics, all the key features the majority of users are looking for and a form factor that will make blackberries owners cry to their mothers..

Well, unless it's a quad-band device then I don't know how much interest it will draw. Especially in North America. Also, the release date is a key thing. With the Q gaining momentum and Samsungs release coming up fast, another key device has to be out soon. Or the corporate world might settle on something else.