View Full Version : rebooting required?

mdb139
07-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Hello all. Sorry for the newbie question, but here goes...

I'm currently using a Siemens SX66 PDA-Phone (HTC "BlueAngel"). It's a decent PDA, but it is absolutely the worst phone I've ever owned -- several times a day, I either miss an incoming or can't make outgoing calls, and I'm forced to reboot.

My question is -- are Windows Mobile SmartPhone devices plagued with the same issues? Are they reliable phones first and foremost?

I'm trying to decide if I should just switch back to a regular phone and get a non-phone PDA.

As a point of reference, I've used (and loved) Nokia's candy-bar phones since the late 1990's or so. I had (have actually) a Nokia 3120, but didn't like the software changes they made and the screen is horrible.

I'm looking for something similar to the Cingular 2125, but I don't want to drop $150 on an outdated phone, especially if there are similar phones with more features (read: WiFi). EDGE support is also a must.

The phone must have real number buttons, and I would prefer not to have a QWERTY keyboard to keep the size of the phone down (although the Motorola Q's form factor is doable).

I primarily use my PDA as an eBook reader (Mobipocket) and PIM. Very light gaming and music/video usage. Occasionally for brainstorming on the road (PocketThinker for outlining). I almost never use it to read or reply to email (I'm more inclined to tether the phone to my laptop) so data entry isn't critical.

I'd also consider the Palm 700w (or whatever Palm device Cingular decides to pick up), but I have the same "is it a reliable phone" concerns.

I'm on Cingular now.

One last brain dump... The reason I switched to the SX66 was so that I didn't have to carry two devices all the time (phone and Palm Tungsten|E). (Okay, I didn't "have to"...) So I am considering a SmartPhone so that I can use it as a PDA if I'm in a pinch, but would do most of my PDA functions on a pure PDA.

Thanks in advance!

TopDog
07-25-2006, 09:18 PM
SmartPhones are way more reliable than Pocket PC's... I don't rember the last time I had to reboot my phone.

But on my PocketPC I had about 50 applications while I have about 10 on my SmartPhone, so that could have something to do with it too :?:

Mike Temporale
07-26-2006, 02:31 AM
I'm currently using a Siemens SX66 PDA-Phone (HTC "BlueAngel"). It's a decent PDA, but it is absolutely the worst phone I've ever owned -- several times a day, I either miss an incoming or can't make outgoing calls, and I'm forced to reboot.

My question is -- are Windows Mobile SmartPhone devices plagued with the same issues? Are they reliable phones first and foremost?

Well, there's a number of things at play here. First, if you're running a lot of data that can effect your incoming calls. I've seen stories of people that would miss a number of calls a day but once they turned off direct push that all changed.

Also, I think a bare-bones PPC is just as stable as a Smartphone. Poorly coded third party applications can destroy a great experience. A disclaimer - I haven't used a PPC in a long time.

To answer your question, I find my device to be very stable and I haven't had any issues with missed calls or freezing. Well, not since I stopped using that Tanager. ;)