View Full Version : Smartphone for use with Tmobile

TheFenceChild
07-16-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm kind of new to this site, this being my first post and all and I was wondering which phone you would recommend that I can use on Tmobile that runs Windows Mobile on it. I'm not necessarily looking for the newest, "top of the line model", just looking for one to kind of break me into smartphones, and I'd prefer one with Windows Mobile. I've been looking at a couple on Ebay(mainly the Motorola MPX200 and the Audiovox SMT5600), and I'm not really sure which one to get. The MPX200 would only cost me just over $100 including shipping and handling while the SMT5600 would cost me anywhere from $170-$220 inluding shipping and handling. I know the MPX200 is a European phone and I was wondering if I would get decent enough rececption here in Texas. The SMT5600 is obviously more expensive, but are the features worth the price difference? Neither of these phones are Tmobile, but I could get either of them unlocked on Ebay, which leads me to my last question. Would using an unlocked phone hinder the phones ability at all? In phone use of internet use? Of course if you know of any other smartphones that would be good that would be cool too! Thanks in advance for any help! :evil:

bshpmark
07-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Why not just get the T-Mobile SDA? You can get them dirt cheap with a plan. I got mine for $139.00. It is a very nice phone.

TheFenceChild
07-17-2006, 01:34 AM
well i've already extended my plan just a couple of months ago, so I'd have to pay quite a bit for that one.

bshpmark
07-17-2006, 01:52 AM
Got ya. Well, I am very happy with my SDA. I also have Nextel so I use the SDA mainly for getting on the web. Much better than Nextel for that purpose. I also have the Bible on the SDA so that I can keep it handy. I am still getting used to trying to remember to sync up all the time with my Outlook appointments. After 20+ years of computing, I still can't get away from keeping my appointments on slips of paper and index cards here on the desk.

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 02:22 AM
If you just extended I would go back and talk to them about cutting you a deal on the phone. It can't hurt.

WinMo5 devices have a number of improvements over previous phones. Especially things like higher resolution screens and better reception (due to the hump added by the American carriers)

TheFenceChild
07-17-2006, 05:51 AM
While I have ran into a couple of nice people at Tmobile, I did just do it a month ago so I think it might be pushing it a little. I've been researching a bit on the Voq A11 you recommended though. It does seem to be quite the value seeing it goes on Ebay for just under $100 dollars. Thanks for the help again and sorry for the cross posting.

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 01:28 PM
You can get it new for $140. So if the auction is "just under" then you might want to go new. http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?code=VOQ

Also, you might want to read our hands on Voq review. http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,5309 It is a larger phone than most people expect.

TheFenceChild
07-17-2006, 06:42 PM
I've looked at many reviews about it, and one of them had it next to an old phone one of my friends used to have. It showed it side by side from the front and the side. Yea it is a very tall phone, but it doesnt really seem to be that thick. Also, all the reviews I have read indicate that the curved body makes it still quite comfortable to hold.

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Yea it is a very tall phone, but it doesnt really seem to be that thick. Also, all the reviews I have read indicate that the curved body makes it still quite comfortable to hold.

I would agree with that. Just wanted to make sure you knew the in's and out's before you got it. :D

Rocco Augusto
07-17-2006, 09:15 PM
sheesh, this handset was $700 when mike first wrote the review! :lol:

aximilation
07-18-2006, 01:24 AM
I would seriously check again about the 5600. Last I checked I expected to get $100, $120 tops for that phone. I may even have one if you want. It's a great phone.
If you're looking at the SDA, I bought mine for $210 shipped, you have to shop well and look for the auctions going in the evening for that, but still, it's not bad and I would totally reccoment that phone. Try searching for the SP5m, same phone but not T-Mobile branded so less people are demanding it.

TheFenceChild
07-18-2006, 03:30 AM
well the 5600 is a badass phone no doubt, but i'd rather not spend more than $150 including shipping. Right now thats what they are all going for. The cheapest I've seen it going for is $140 plus shipping. So i dont know. If you had one I'd be glad to take it off your hands for $120 lol. But thanks for the advice.

davea0288
08-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Before I got my SDA from T-Mobile I was looking at the i-mate SP3i Smartphone (Multi-lingual, US) for $129.95+$12 shipping at Mobile Planet.
It's a nice Tri-band GSM /GPRS compatible Smart Phone and runs on Windows Mobile™ Second Edition.