View Full Version : SDA (or 2125, etc.) ActiveSync Problems

aximilation
07-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey everyone, I thought I would take a try here, nothing else has worked so far. My SDA will not connect throught Activesync.

Before you say the obvious, consider the following notes:

1. I connect it to my PC and I receive the following error:
"Critical Communications services have failed to start. Try resetting the mobile device, and then connect again."

2. I run AS 4.2

3. The device is "connected" once I hit that error, but I cannot do anything.

4. I have both disabled firewalls as well as adding the 6 port rules to my firewall.

5. I tried to restart the phone, I then hard reset it (L/R soft keys, zero), I then flashed the phone.

6. I tried the computer at work.

7. I talked with a seemingly educated man at tech support with HTC (forget t-mobile) who made some points and determined that AS worked fine, he thought it may be a device problem. (hardware?) Duh.

8. I used another phone to connect to my computer, all is well.

9. I was able to sync on a laptop with IR.

10. BTW, I uninstalled and reinstalled AS.

I was ready to write it off as hardware problems, send replacement please!
BUT
after I used IR on the laptop, I found that I could connect with USB as well. Great.
Now my phone will sync with *one* computer. USB, IR, Bluetooth, anything. One computer and only one. Hmm.......?
note, it's not mine, it's my roomie's and I hate having to remote desktop to sync.

Summary:
My phone will connect to one laptop and rejects 3 other computers with a seemingly identical setup.
Other phones connect to any computer with no problem.
I have done my homework, hours of it. I have exhausted every resource I have found and anticipated and used every thing tech support had to throw at me, he labeled it as hardware. (Not wussy tech support either, the scrip he had, or learning took care of just about anything.)
I can't go to T-mobile because I bought it from a guy who worked there. I have no account and didn't buy it from them.
I can't go to Cingular because I didn't buy the phone from them (duh) and they don't even carry the phone (they do contact HTC though...)
I can't go to HTC because they tell consumers to go to the carrier.

If not for the stupid laptop I would swear that the phone had a hardware defect. Now I just sit and go crazy.

If you could help me solve this, I would be very appreciative.

I'm doing just about everything I could want on this phone but the basics....sync. OMGoodness.....I'm going nutz! ;-)

P.S. Keep on your toes for a post about cool tricks, hacks, etc. for these phones. I feel as if I have been around the block these last two days. If I want to do it, I have. Re-mapping buttons, Skype phone calls, unlocking for Cingular (*T-Mobile* SDA), Custom XML designed home screens....I've done all I wanted besides sync. I'll help people with the rest of the AS problems, I've read them all it would seem. :-D

Sorry if I rant and rave, it's frustruating.....

Enjey your SDA, 2125, etc....I love it. Totally cool until I sync that it.

Mike Temporale
07-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Well, it sure sounds like you've covered off all the common things. Firewall is the biggest. I've seen some people that are running multiple firewalls and didn't realize it. So, it's worth mentioning - although you sound like you know better than this.

On my SP5m I have a program called USB Switch in the Accessories folder. This appeared after i-mate released the AKU2 patch. Anyway, I don't know if you have this on your device, or if it would be any help. It baiscally allows you to toggle the ActiveSync method from RNDIS to Serial. RNDIS is prefered, but if you're having trouble, you might want to try Serial.

Another thing to try is AS4.1 or AS4.0. I know, you want to use the latest and greatest, but if you're having problems, I would try stepping back a version and see if that fixes things. Then we know if it's an AS bug or not.

Before you give up all hope, you can also ask an AS expert like Rob Borek of Pocket PC One 2 One (http://www.pocketpcone2one.com/) He's an MVP who seems to like the pain and sufferng of AS issues. :lol:

aximilation
07-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Hey, good idea abouth the versions, unfortunately it didn't work. I was hoping. You are correct, I have taken care of firewalls (I use Filescab Personal Firewall) and have always disabled the windows one since then.
I may want to try switching to Serial, I don't have that utility, where could I find it, or could you send me the exe to see if it would work on my phone?

Thanks!

Mike Temporale
07-17-2006, 01:51 AM
I may want to try switching to Serial, I don't have that utility, where could I find it, or could you send me the exe to see if it would work on my phone?

If it's not in your ROM then you're pretty much out of luck for using it. It's from the manufacturer and who knows if it would work on a different device. There's also legal issues in sharing ROM files. (and that's one thing we don't allow here. ;) )

Not sure what else it could be. Those are the typical issues.

another thought - are you using the same cable for all the different devices you listed? Perhaps the cable for this device is not working 100% while the cables for the other devices are ok. Just a guess.

aximilation
07-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Yup, I forgot about the cable issue, but yeah, I covered that as well. I have two cables and use both of them interchangeably between the sp5m, 5600, razr, card reader, etc.

I'm stumped.

:-(

aximilation
07-17-2006, 10:52 AM
...Although, it's not too bad because I connect remotely to the laptop and use bluetooth now, so I can do everything from my computer with the phone beside me still.

I walk around the stump.

:-)

aximilation
07-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Yay! AS works finally!

The problem?

Heck if I know....

I dual boot, and x64 works great for me! I'll just boot that anytime I want to sync or mod my phone. Oh yes....
not exactly overcoming the problem, but more like overlooking it. go figure.
Either way, I win.

*dance dance dance*

Thanks for the help though.

Mike Temporale
07-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Well, then it has to be something in your XP setup that is preventing it from working. It's not the phone - that's for sure.

Glad to hear you found a solution. :D

aximilation
07-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Well that's the strange part. I always got the phone so sync with the laptop no problem. Big issue is that it won't sync with:
My XP computer
Office computer
Home file server

What gives in that, I ask you? I've tried different versions af AS and everything on all of them. I was positive it was the phone until I hooked up with the laptop, and I don't know what makes it special. Ever so, good thing because the laptop is being sold.

:-D