View Full Version : StarTek/Qtek 8500

Hyer
07-14-2006, 03:19 PM
I got my StarTek last week and love it, but am having a couple of problems.

1. An unussual number of calls seem to go straight to vmail, without the phone ever ringing? I have registered the IMEI number with Cingular, but still seem to be having the problem. Has anyone heard of any fixes or have any ideas.

2. The ClearVue suite that came with it seems to have a bug, in the pdf viewer. I get a message about being unable to open the file, as if the phone doesn't match the file type to the viewer? In windows you can just associate the file type, is there something similar in WM5.0?

Other than these two issues, the phone is great, I love the form factor. Plus the flip style keeps the phone from calling people from my pocket when I forget to lock the keys on my 2125 :D

difensore
07-14-2006, 04:46 PM
with your issues .... try and check the signal of your device ... it might be you were in an area that you didn't have any signal or you were on a phone call or even online with your phone surfing the internet ... i've had that issues with my other HTC devices (XDA Exec, XDA Mini S, XDA IIs) on the Cingular network but with my Qtek 8500, everything's been smooth sailing after a figured out how to a root certificate on the device. The Smartphone version of Windows Mobile 5 is a little different structurally to the Pocket PC version. At least i don't even lug around a large device so i could get my email and synchronize my contacts and calendars wireless using Exchange ActiveSync. ...

with the Clearvue applications, i'll install them and see what happens ... will keep you posted ..

Enjoy the phone! .... now if i could only get hold of the XDA Trion ... sweet!

Hyer
07-14-2006, 05:15 PM
I don't think it's a signal or antenna issue. I've worked from home using Cingular Smartphones (several 5600, a 2125 and now the 8500) and haven't had this issue with previous phones. I went on the Mobile Planet website (where I got the phone) and there are 4 or 5 people with the same issue.

Cingular thought maybe it was because it's an unlocked phone. The geek in me doesn't buy it, but who knows what secret sauce they put in "their" phones.

Hyer
07-14-2006, 05:18 PM
difensore - you said "after a figured out how to a root certificate on the device." What did you do? What was the purpose/effect?

Mike Temporale
07-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Clearvue needs to convert the files before you can view them. The problem is that it only converts files when you transfer them to your phone over ActiveSync. If the document arrived on your device via email, then it hasn't been converted and ClearVue won't touch it.

Hyer
07-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Is this specific to the 8500? I've been using CV on various smartphones for over a year and have never had a problem viewing a pdf that has come in via exchange over the air?

Mike Temporale
07-14-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't have an 8500, and I haven't used ClearVue in a long time. So I can't say if it's specific to the 8500, but my guess would be no. If you didn't have problems with PDFs on your last Smartphone using ClearVue, then perhaps there is something in this PDF that is causing problems.

Rocco Augusto
07-14-2006, 08:23 PM
do you have direct push running on your phone? ever since i started using direct push i have noticed my missed calls have skyrocketed! if i stare at my homescreen i notice every few minutes or so it will say "Home Service" for a second, this seems to go hand and hand with it downloading my email. if someone happens to call when that is happening, straight to voicemail. no ring what-so-ever.

i turned off direct push for a few days and now everyone that has been trying to reach me is much happier since they can get through. this might be whats going on with your new phone :)

Hyer
07-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Rocco - I'll turn off direct push and got back to the old fashion method and see if that helps. Thanks.

Sven Johannsen
07-15-2006, 02:53 AM
Clearvue needs to convert the files before you can view them. The problem is that it only converts files when you transfer them to your phone over ActiveSync. If the document arrived on your device via email, then it hasn't been converted and ClearVue won't touch it.

Clearvue's claim to fame was always that the files didn't have to be converted. They allowed viewing of native files, as would be received as e-mail attachments. More likely that it is a particular file issue, or a newer version of Adobe that created it than Clearvue can handle. Even Adobe's own reader didn't require any conversion. It just attempted to tag files so that reflow worked, making scrolling less neccesary.

Hyer
07-15-2006, 02:57 AM
I agree, I've used CV for a while and never had an issue. I think there is a problem with the association of .pdf files and the pdf viewer, any ideas how to check that?

Also, I have CV installed on my memory card, maybe this is confusing it, again this was never a problem for me on other Smarthphones, but maybe it's this release.

Sven Johannsen
07-15-2006, 07:25 PM
How are you opening them? Association makes a difference if you 'double click' a file from within an Explorer. If you get an issue when openning from within Clearvue Pdf's own file openning capability, then it would be a file problem not an association one.

In any case there is no built file association checker/fixer. I think there is probably a free option out there. Total Commander comes to mind, and Resco File Explorer can set associations.

Hyer
07-18-2006, 12:45 AM
I finally uninstalled the version that came with the phone and installed version 2.41. It works like a charm, there must be a problem with the pdf reader on the version that came with the phone.

gregski
07-19-2006, 12:04 AM
I got my StarTek last week and love it, but am having a couple of problems.

1. An unussual number of calls seem to go straight to vmail, without the phone ever ringing? I have registered the IMEI number with Cingular, but still seem to be having the problem. Has anyone heard of any fixes or have any ideas.
You are definitely not alone. Check this thread over at HoFo http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=950133. It's 30 pages long 8O

rdecker
07-27-2006, 02:18 AM
[quote=Hyer]I got my StarTek last week and love it, but am having a couple of problems.

CID Unlock the phone and install the iMate ROM; fixes all the problems. Note that the current XPress Mail client (Cingular) does not work on this phone; the client is for the 2125 (This Phone must have a different version of Windows Mobile on it). I would think Cingular would release a new client when they 'officially' support the phone.

Richard76
07-28-2006, 01:08 AM
I finally uninstalled the version that came with the phone and installed version 2.41. It works like a charm, there must be a problem with the pdf reader on the version that came with the phone.

Where did you get V 2.41 (mine is V 2.42.427) and did you re-install the complete ClearVue Suite or just the ClearVue PDF?

CID Unlock the phone and install the iMate ROM; fixes all the problems.

What is CID unlocking and how do you do it? If it requires special software, where do you get it?

Thanks.

rdecker
07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
What is CID unlocking and how do you do it? If it requires special software, where do you get it?

Thanks.[/quote]

The web site is IMEI-Check (do a google search). It will cost you about $28 to unlock the phone. The iMate ROM (and the installation program) is available at iMate FTP Site.