View Full Version : Need advice replacing my beloved Audiovox SMT 5600...

JTShow12
07-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Hello all,

First off, this looks like a pretty good site and I'll appreciate any feedback. I'm currently locked in for the final two years of my three year contract. Well here goes, it was my birthday the other week, and I got pushed into the pool, and my SMT 5600 ended up going for a swim.

Now I face a predicament. I've called every Rogers/Rogers Plus/Rogers Video and none of them have an SMT 5600. Frankly, Rogers only carries junk and I'm trying to explore other options. Could any of you refresh me on what an UNLOCKED phone is? I was told that an unlocked phone is a phone that can accept any SIM card and not just one cellular provider's. Is this true? How difficult is it to unlock a cell phone? And finally, if i buy an unlocked phone, will I be able to use it with my old SIM card? Thanks for your help. Email me at [email protected] if you have any advice please.

J

Kris Kumar
07-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Could any of you refresh me on what an UNLOCKED phone is? I was told that an unlocked phone is a phone that can accept any SIM card and not just one cellular provider's. Is this true? How difficult is it to unlock a cell phone? And finally, if i buy an unlocked phone, will I be able to use it with my old SIM card?

Welcome to the site JTShow12.

You are right about the unlocked concept. Once the phone is "unlocked," it will accept SIM card from any carrier. It no longer is tied to the carrier from which you bought the cell phone.

Unlocking is pretty easy but there is a small charge associated with it. Do a Google on "SIM unlock SMT5600" and you should find good links. Also if you are buying from eBay, you may find the phone unlocked already.

And yes, if you buy an unlocked phone, your old SIM card should work. I don't think the water could have damaged the card. But do keep that in mind that you may have to get a replacement SIM card.