View Full Version : Which to buy: SP3i or SDA

MrMPX200
07-03-2006, 07:17 PM
OK, I am tired of my MPX200. Actually I do like it except for the reception. I have been looking at the SP3i s for a while now and like them a lot. They are also a little cheaper than an SDA. But the joystick seems to be a big problem on these, and I would rather not go through the same joystick problems I have on my T616. Is the joystick on the SDA reliable? How durable are both of these phone? I beat the crap out of my T616, and I'm going to beat the crap out of my next phone. Anyone have experience with both of these? Thanks.

MRNUTTY
07-05-2006, 07:39 PM
But the joystick seems to be a big problem on these, and I would rather not go through the same joystick problems I have on my T616. Is the joystick on the SDA reliable? How durable are both of these phone?

i don't blame you. I'm looking at my year old SP3i with the busted off joystick button thinking about replacing it today. it's a great phone... but the reliability of the joystick, and i really don't like keypad entry with T9 or ABC; a SIP keyboard was a lot quicker, but I need a stylus. I'm looking at maybe a JAMin.

sparky4768
07-07-2006, 01:33 AM
I've actually had both phones. I ordered the SP3i since Mobileplanet was running them at $150. Figured I could take a flyer at that price (since they were going for more on ebay, I could dump it there.)

At first, I loved the phone. I was coming over from a Moto v635, and am a PocketPC user. The switch was very easy.

However (you knew this was coming) there is a major design flaw with the joystick. Not only can it simply crap out on you annd become unresponsive (according to numerous posts), but the small plastic piece that covers the mechanicles underneath can easily pop off. Mine did within a week. MobilePlanet was good enough to send me a brand new replacement phone and RMA'd the "defective" one. At that point I didn't feel comfortable keeping it. A major component that could so easily be lost... no way.

So I ebay'd the replacement they sent me (made my invest back, thank you very much), and switched my service from Cingular to T-Mobile. I got the SDA for free after rebates and have seriously loved it.

It hasn't come without a little pain. The first unit had something wrong inside, was just a bit flakey. The replacement they sent was a beat up refurb, which I refused. The next one was perfect.

To compare the joysticks... it's really no comparison. The SDA's joystick is much more responsive and I have fewer miss-hits (accidentally depressing in the wrong direction).

Also, on the SDA side...
Windows Mobile 5
320x240 res screen
Wifi
More Memory
Quad-Band
1.3MP Camera (but don't get your hopes up on picture quality)

Now that I've got a peach of a phone (hey, it only took T-mo' 3 tries), I'm very happy with the SDA.

Good luck!

Kris Kumar
07-07-2006, 02:30 AM
Somehow missed this post. :oops:

SP3i: I owned this phone for almost a year. Used it quite heavily. It survived all the abuse and is still with me, even though I use the 2125 regularly. Pros: The price, inexpensive nowadays. Cons: Older OS - Windows Mobile 2003 SE.

SDA: Haven't used it but I am sure it is a lot like my 2125 and even better because it has Wi-Fi. I will recommend the SDA because it has the latest OS - Windows Mobile 5.0. And you can get it for the price of the SP3i or lower, if you get a deal from T-Mobile or Amazon.

BTW: I never had any joystick issues or dust problems with my SP3i.

ditch_azeroth
07-07-2006, 08:16 AM
both these phones were made by HTC... i don't know where they have their joysticks subcontracted but quality sucks. specifically, this is most likely because that the machines that they got to make the joysticks is somehow misaligned. how do i know? almost everybody that i know that has an HTC device with a joystick has the same problem - and same solution. in fact, when i will ask everybody here "on you HTC device, what direction is hardest to use when your joystick starts its union strike?" - the answer would be "what is the 'left' direction?"

if you dare, do this: open up your phone and ever so gently, forcibly twist your stick counter clockwise (how's that for an oxymoron) and that should take care of the problem. it also helps if you keep your stick as clean as possible (and don't get that the wrong way... wipe that smirk of your face...) and if it does get dirty, there's nothing a drop of electronic cleaning solution can't handle. some people even use lighter fluid... oh well, hope this helps ^_^