View Full Version : Mobile Phones Will Get Tactile Touchscreens!

Rocco Augusto
07-01-2006, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/27/79659_HNphonestouchscreens_1.html?source=NLC-TB2006-06-27' target='_blank'>http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/27/79659_HNphonestouchscreens_1.html?source=NLC-TB2006-06-27</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Press your finger on a cellphone touchscreen in 2007 and the screen could press right back. Immersion said Monday that it plans to license its force-feedback technology to handset makers, to make virtual buttons on cellphone screens... Built into a PDA (personal digital assistant) or smartphone, a haptic screen doesn't actually flex against a user's finger, but a small electric motor behind it delivers a small tap. Combined with an audible "click" feature used in platforms like automated teller machines (ATMs), the overall effect helps mimic a mechanical button on a digital screen"</i><br /><br />This is awesome! I have been waiting for a piece of technology like this for a long time. One thing I have always hated about touchscreen based devices was that I actually have to pay attention to what I'm doing on the touch screen to make sure I don't hit the wrong thing. This is why I love my Smartphone, I don't have to look at it to know which button I'm hitting which is <i>really</i> handy when I'm in meetings. :twisted:

Jerry Raia
07-01-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't have to look at it to know which button I'm hitting which is really handy when I'm in meetings. :twisted:

You are not supposed to be playing with your phone when you are in meetings!

mbranscum
07-02-2006, 12:01 AM
"Press your finger on a cellphone touchscreen in 2007 and the screen could press right back. Immersion said Monday that it plans to license its force-feedback technology to handset makers, to make virtual buttons on cellphone screens... Built into a PDA (personal digital assistant) or smartphone, a haptic screen doesn't actually flex against a user's finger, but a small electric motor behind it delivers a small tap. Combined with an audible "click" feature used in platforms like automated teller machines (ATMs), the overall effect helps mimic a mechanical button on a digital screen":

Is there supposed to be a link to this story???

Rocco Augusto
07-02-2006, 12:15 AM

its there... now :worried:

Jerry Raia
07-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Thats really strange, it should be there. I can see it in the edit screen. At any rate here it is:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/27/79659_HNphonestouchscreens_1.html?source=NLC-TB2006-06-27

Jerry Raia
07-02-2006, 12:19 AM

its there... now :worried:

Damn you are fast. It was there when I looked. You must have just, ahem, snuck it in. :lol:

Rocco Augusto
07-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Damn you are fast. It was there when I looked. You must have just, ahem, snuck it in. :lol:

who me? :worried:

i have NO idea what you're talking about :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Jerry Raia
07-02-2006, 12:22 AM
No worries. I'll keep it a secret. 8)

Rocco Augusto
07-02-2006, 12:27 AM
im so worried about whether or not ill forget to put italics in the snippit that i keep forgetting everything else. now i fixed the problem, i made myself a chart :lol:

James Sonne
07-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Alpine has been doing this feedback-touchscreen trick for years on their car navigation units.