View Full Version : Import Outlook contacts using Activesync 4.1 (Cingular 2125)

ieubts
07-01-2006, 12:08 AM
I just got a Cingular 2125 (Windows mobile 5). Using Activesync software (came with the phone) it appears my contact data file is not where Activesync expects it to be. Does anyone know if I can direct this software to look at a specific location (.pst file) to synch Outlook contacts?

Kris Kumar
07-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Are you seeing any specific error message?

ActiveSync picks up the Contacts, Calendar and other PIM info from the profile which was active when the partnership was first established.

If you have mutiple profiles on your desktop, then I would recommend deleting the partnership, then open Outlook in the appropriate profile and then establish the partnership.

ieubts
07-01-2006, 12:29 AM
thanks for the reply. There is no error message. I believe its looking at an outlook file ( the default) that has 0 contacts in it. I have multiple personal folders where I keep my contacts and I was hoping I could just "point" activesync to look at the personal folder, instead of the default file. I suppose I could copy the contacts over to the other folder before I sync.....but there are about 5000 of them and its pretty slow.

Mark Kenepp
07-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Kris is right about the profile. If it is a profile issue, then there is probably a way to change the profile used by ActiveSync.

I am thinking that it may use the default profile.

Right click on the Outlook icon on your desktop and select properties. Then select show profiles. You should be able to set up the default profile here.

I am guessing that it is not a profile issue, however.

I am not sure exactly where to set this up, but the default folders (PST file) were Outlook delivers email is what ActiveSync will sync with. Outlook will also only display notifications for items (tasks and appointments) that are located in this default folder set.

I am not sitting at my Windows PC at the moment so I can't look it up for you but I did find this link (http://ask-leo.com/how_should_i_setup_outlook.html) that explains the process. Just look at the instructions entitled Default Data File

Jerry Raia
07-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Are you using an exchange server also?

ieubts
07-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Re: exchange server, I don't really know. My contacts, email, calender is stored on my company's "server". We use Communigate Pro, which i believe simulates MS Exchange server.....

Anyway my local outlook folder is what I was trying to sync and since my original post, I did copy all my contacts from the local folder to the default folder and eventually got all my contacts on the phone.

Do any of you guys know where I can get more detailed info on Activesync? I'd like to set (what I would consider simple) options that either are not there or I can't find the settings...e.g:

-Only import to the phone. I don't want to synchronize per se...just a one-way import to the 2125.

-Anyway to just delete all the contacts on the phone during this testing phase. Believe it or not I haven't been able to figure this out through either file manager.....or just a menu item on the phone to delete all the contacts.

Maybe there's better software I should use to manage email, contacts and calendar for the 2125????

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ieubts
07-13-2006, 09:00 PM
thanks to everybody!

Yes, it was a profile issue. Simply right click Outlook Icon....create a new outlook profile that points to the local .pst file (where the contacts are)....and check the box to prompt you to select a profile when you start Outlook.

so now I'm syncing Calendar from my Exchange Server and contacts from my local .pst file. Two separate syncs, but no big deal. I only update contacts every few days and Calendar every day. Very cool!.....to me anyway.