View Full Version : What Smartphone?

SteveHoward999
06-29-2006, 01:40 AM
I'm toying with adding a PocketPC smartphone to my list of toys. I have a real tough time with all the devices that have several names depending on who sells them, so I'm looking for advice to help me find the right device for me regardless of it's name.

Oh - and I'm going to buy it off eBay, so I need to be able to buy it 'unlocked' for a sensible price. I travel quite a lot internationally, so a locked phone is no good for me.

OK here's what I need

VGA - OK I know I'm dreaming - the Universal is still too expensive
Bluetooth
WiFi
GSM phone
Qwerty Keyboard
WM 5
Full sized SD slot
CF too? Yes I know I'm a dreamer ...
Better than the usual 64/128 ROM/RAM if poss
Edge
Reasonably large screen

What does that leave me to choose from?

Thanks in advance.

GSmith
06-29-2006, 02:44 AM
By "Pocket PC smartphone" I assume you mean Pocket PC Phone Edition. There are no phones that meet all of your requirements. And Pocket PC questions might better be answered at www.pocketpcthoughts.com

VGA is not available yet, and the WM5 and QUERTY keyboard requirements and WiFi reduces the playing field quite a bit.

I'd drop the card requirements (you'll get what you get, basically): forget CF, for example. The SD may be full, mini, or micro, depending on the exact model. I think most models are coming with 64MB RAM, too.

So your list boils down to:
QVGA, WM5, QUERTY, EDGE (which implies GSM)

Then pick among the handful of phones that meet these requirements.
Or choose the most important to you among
QUERTY, WiFi, EDGE. Dropping any of these three requirements might let you choose among one or two additional models.

I know I didn't mention any specific models, because your requirements boil down to "what are all the available models?"

All that said, the HTC Hermes coming out later this year gets awfully close to what you're asking for (though still lacking VGA and full SD/CF).

SteveHoward999
06-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the reply - I knew where I was dreaming, but you made sure to remind me :-)

So your list boils down to:
QVGA, WM5, QUERTY, EDGE (which implies GSM)

Then pick among the handful of phones that meet these requirements.
Or choose the most important to you among
QUERTY, WiFi, EDGE. Dropping any of these three requirements might let you choose among one or two additional models.

I know I didn't mention any specific models, because your requirements boil down to "what are all the available models?"

All that said, the HTC Hermes coming out later this year gets awfully close to what you're asking for (though still lacking VGA and full SD/CF).

The Hermes is the update to the Wizard, is that right? I've been looking at the various versions of the Wizard, trying to decide if I could suffer the 200 MHz chip and the low RAM. I really would prefer the Universal, but the price is just crazy for it.

So that's really the best option for now?

GSmith
06-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Yes, the Hermes is an upgrade to the Wizard. Some important differences (to me): *microSD*, 802.11g, 400MHz

Specs also list EDGE/W-CDMA. I'm not certain if this means UTMS and/or HSDPA.

Dopod just announced their version of the HTC Hermes as reported at PocketPCThoughts: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?action=expand,49672&/dopod_introduces_the_cht_9000_(htc_hermes).htm

Hope this helps!

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Windows Mobile *direct* RSS text, audio, video, podcasts
www.FeederReader.com
*FeederReader Smartphone now in Alpha.*