View Full Version : Windows Mobile for Automotive Wins Best Telematics Solution Award

Mike Temporale
06-23-2006, 03:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3120' target='_blank'>http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3120</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The Microsoft Windows Mobile for Automotive platform was named Best Telematics Solution at the Telematics Detroit 2006 conference and exhibition, held recently in Detroit, Microsoft Corp. today confirmed. Windows Mobile for Automotive defines the state of the art in automotive-grade operating system software for in-car communications and infotainment solutions. Automakers and their suppliers commend Windows Mobile for Automotive for its reliability, flexibility and fast time to market. Consumers value Windows Mobile for Automotive-based solutions for their ease of use, rich features, upgradeability and affordability."</i><br /><br />Fiat became the first automaker to release car with the Windows Mobile for Automotive system onboard. "Blue&amp;Me", the marketing term for Fiat's Windows Mobile for Automotive solution, allows hands-free support for over 140 different mobile phones, USB based portable media player integration, and voice navigation. Thankfully, the system can be easily updated to support new devices, so you don't have to buy a new car just because you purchased a new Smartphone. ;)

Arne Hess
06-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Thankfully, the system can be easily updated to support new devices, so you don't have to buy a new car just because you purchased a new Smartphone. ;)
Would you flash your car (system) yourself as we do with our Smartphones? :wink: Not sure if I would do it myself, like I wouldn't change the breaks myself. :?
I mean making an expansive paperweight out of a Smartphone is one thing, doing the same out of a car is something different... 8O

Mike Temporale
06-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Would you flash your car (system) yourself as we do with our Smartphones? :wink: Not sure if I would do it myself, like I wouldn't change the breaks myself. :?
I mean making an expansive paperweight out of a Smartphone is one thing, doing the same out of a car is something different... 8O

Well, when you put it like that, no! I was thinking it would be a simple upgrade or patch that you could apply and not a full ROM Flash. You're right, I don't want to risk having a bricked car system. :(

Arne Hess
06-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Well, when you put it like that, no! I was thinking it would be a simple upgrade or patch that you could apply and not a full ROM Flash. You're right, I don't want to risk having a bricked car system. :(
I have no idea how these upgrades work, maybe it's just a patch you can upload. It just came into my mind when I read your comment and hey, let's face it - Microsoft has removed this feature, to update just parts of the OS from Windows Mobile, why should they add it now to their automotive thing? :wink: But again, I have no idea how it is working, looks like I should really visit my local FIAT dealer. :) But how to ask such a question a salesman? :o

Rocco Augusto
06-23-2006, 07:32 PM
i would do it happily, just to say i bricked a car :twisted:

Mike Temporale
06-24-2006, 01:44 AM
looks like I should really visit my local FIAT dealer. :) But how to ask such a question a salesman? :o

Well, at least you have a local dealer. ;) I've only ever seen 1 Fiat in my life (in person). For a short time while I was growing up, a neighbour had one in his garage. He never drove it and it always had a cover on it. That's my exposure to Fiat. ;)

I would play down your knowledge when you talk to the salesman. Just mention something like your company buys you a new cellphone each year. What happens when the car doesn't know the phone? :?

Kris Kumar
06-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Which other car manufacturers or dash manufacturers use Windows Mobile for Automotive?

Does BMW use Windows?

Mike Temporale
06-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Which other car manufacturers or dash manufacturers use Windows Mobile for Automotive?

Does BMW use Windows?

Not sure about BMW, but I know that Toyota was working on a youth focused car using Windows Mobile for Automotive. I think it was only be sold in Japan. But that could have changed.

Rocco Augusto
06-25-2006, 07:57 PM
i want a windows car except im afraid it would be to distracting. i could see it now, me driving and trying to tweak the settings at the same time. no good can come of these monsters :)