View Full Version : Jason and Dave's ThoughtCast - June 22, 2006

Jerry Raia
06-22-2006, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,49525' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,49525</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Following on the theme started in our last ThoughtCast, Jason and I talk Smartphones again in this ThoughtCast. This time we pick apart the HTC Star Trek (also known as the i-mate Smartflip). In the Smartphone market we see a lot of candy bar style Windows Mobile based phones but the Star Trek breaks the mold as a flip-phone. It also is RAZR thin with a flip numeric pad plus some special features on its external display. In this ThoughtCast, Jason talks with me about the Star Trek he has in his possession to review."</i><br /><br />Head on over "other" thoughts site to hear the wisdom and thoughts of our very own Jason and Dave. They are talking about the new Star Trek phone that has a lot of folks buzzing.

Jason Dunn
06-22-2006, 11:59 PM
We did this one when I still had the phone, which sadly I no longer have. But I did order one. 8)

Mike Temporale
06-23-2006, 02:27 AM
But I did order one. 8)

Nice! Lucky...

Kirkaiya
06-23-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm glad to hear you (Jason) liked it enough to order it, since I've been waiting (and waiting....) for this phone to finally hit the market.

It will suck giving up the touch-screen (currently have an Axia A108), but it will be great to have something that isn't so damn thick, and I like flip phones - the Razr form-factor (when closed) is pretty close to ideal to me.

I heard a lot of ho-hum reviews of this, so it's making me feel a lot better that people that have had it to use seem to like it.

OSUKid7
06-24-2006, 02:33 AM
I was listening to this late last night before I went to bed, but there was one very memorable line...
Damn I'm good!
:rotfl:

As much as I'd like a clamshell Smartphone, I'm not as wild about the Star Trek as I once was. Maybe I just like my Cingular 2125 more now that I've had it for almsot 7 months, but I wouldn't touch the Star Trek unless someone makes a miniUSB convertor for that port.

Jerry Raia
06-24-2006, 02:58 AM
but I wouldn't touch the Star Trek unless someone makes a miniUSB convertor for that port.

...and the Media buttons go away.

Rocco Augusto
06-24-2006, 07:35 AM

you could always put electrical tape over them :)

encece
06-24-2006, 10:04 AM
I totally agree with the disappointment of the inclusion MicroSD, non-USB port, non-standard headset port....what is this a SONY phone? As fast as I go thru phones...these were the main reasons for me not to buy one.

It is another step forward toward more "innovative" and consumer-friendly design....but still fell a tiny bit short for me.

I did like to hear about the outside screen. That is the most exciting news about the phone.

DESIGN IDEA:
Put the outer screen on a WATCH and have ANY WIndows Smartphone or PPC send that data to it via Bluetooth! Control your MP3 player, See Message Alerts, Weather, Alarms, etc...all on your watch! Oh yeah....it would tell time too. This would get rid of that damn SPOT WATCH and offer me a watch that I'd actually wear. I call dibbs on COPYRIGHT if it hasn't been designed yet! :)

encece
06-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Question:
Who is Daving Conger????

OSUKid7
06-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Question:
Who is Daving Conger????
*David Conger, the "ThoughtCast Coordinator." (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=134) He's been helping out with the ThoughtCasts since the second or third episode, iirc. He definitely makes the 'casts sound a lot more professional with the intro/outro stuff. :)

encece
06-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Oh! So many Dave's in the PDA business...it's hard to keep track of them all! :)

Jerry Raia
06-24-2006, 02:21 PM

you could always put electrical tape over them :)

I would still know they were there!