View Full Version : ClearType on HTC StarTrek (Dopod S300)

tsahnocub
06-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Hey Everyone, I know this probably won't get many replies, considering the limited availability so far of the HTC StarTrek, but I figured this would be the best site to ask on.

I have a Dopod S300 which is of course a re-branded HTC StarTrek.

Interestingly enough, it does not have ClearType enabled, nor anywhere to enable it. I've tried doing a few Google searches and can't find anything. The only references I've found to enabling ClearType are some registry tweaks (which I've tried) for Windows Mobile 2003, and they do not work.

I thought ClearType was enabled by default on all WM5 devices (my MPx200 with WM5 has ClearType fine.) so this is really perplexing me.

Jason, since you've had a review unit for a while now, was it enabled on your device?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
--
Ian Kullhem

Mike Temporale
06-23-2006, 02:22 AM
How do you know it's not already on?

I think Tweaks2K has a tweak for this - not sure. I'm in between devices right now so I can't even dig around check.

tsahnocub
06-23-2006, 02:43 AM
Well, I know it's not already on since all the text is thin and jaggy (similar to turning font smoothing off in Windows XP).

I did however figure out from comparing the registry with the S300 with that of my WM5 MPx200.

I ended up having to add a couple keys to the S300 to get cleartype enabled (and believe me, it looks a lot nicer).

Here are the 2 I added (In case anyone else runs into this issue):

HKLM\System\GDI\ClearType\Quality DWORD=4
HKLM\System\GDI\SYSFT\Qt DWORD=1

I did have to run HTC's Unlocker to gain access to that part of the registry.

I hope that helps with anyone who may get this phone and not have ClearType on defaultly.

--
Ian Kullhem

Edit: Also Tweaks 2K2.NET Only works with Windows Mobile 2003, not WM5. I did actually try that first and it didn't change anything on the phone.

From comparing what I had to do to turn it on and what all the information I read on enabling it on WM2003 phones, it looks like MS changed what keys enable ClearType with WM5.

edgar
06-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Where did you buy the Dopod and how much?

I think you must have an old version

Tweaks2K2 .NET v1.9.1 for SmartPhone

Tweaks2K2 is the ultimate easy to use software for hacking your SmartPhone Registry, with tricks never seen before in any other Tweaker for SmartPhone. Now you don't have to worry about to remember all those hacks because all are going to be located in just one tool: Tweaks2K2.

Starting from version 1.7.0 this program is compatible with Windows Mobile 5 for SmartPhone.

Hacks in this version:

Activates/Deactivates ClearType - Modified in version 1.1

http://www.tweaks2k2.com/portal/staticpages/index.php?page=20050317130430805

tsahnocub
06-23-2006, 08:35 PM
I actually ordered it off of eBay a couple weeks ago, I've had it in my posession for a week now, love it. I paid $599 with shipping, but general prices have dropped a bit since then. The guy I got it from also included a 512MB MicroSD card and a screen protector for that price.

I'm thinking about putting together a mini-review of the Dopod S300 and posting it up here sometime this weekend, give my impressions of the unit from my experiences.

But I have to say, this being my 3rd Smartphone and having used the Smartphone OS from 2002 to WM5, I love it. Been turning heads with it everyone from people wondering what kind of phone it is.

As for Tweaks2K2, I did actually install that version and I tried the cleartype thing, no change. Afterwards I looked up in the help file for it, where it describes what each tweak does, and it says (2003 only) next to the Enable ClearType. It only says that in the help file, not where you actually enable it, at least I don't remember it saying it outside of the help file. Of course, I don't have it installed anymore, so I may be mistaken.

Mike Temporale
06-24-2006, 01:54 AM
As for Tweaks2K2, I did actually install that version and I tried the cleartype thing, no change. Afterwards I looked up in the help file for it, where it describes what each tweak does, and it says (2003 only) next to the Enable ClearType. It only says that in the help file, not where you actually enable it, at least I don't remember it saying it outside of the help file. Of course, I don't have it installed anymore, so I may be mistaken.

Oh, well you should let Tweaks know. They would love to add it to the next version.

Nice to hear that you like the phone. I'm really looking forward to the next round of WinMo5 devices. The first batch seemed underpowered. :(

tsahnocub
06-25-2006, 04:46 AM
I just made a post on the Tweaks2K2 forum about it, hopefully they'll include it.

After checking, it turns out you only need the first key added for cleartype, the second one (Qt = 1) doesn't seem to do anything.

On a similar note, for the people that do not like cleartype and have a WM5 smartphone, removing that Quality key should DISABLE cleartype.

(of course, standard registry editing disclaimers apply, etc etc.)