View Full Version : T-Mo SDA and memory

algorhythm
06-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Call me stupid but I can't figure out why my SDA keeps giving me a low memory alert. I don't have that much stuff in it (certainly less than I had on my 5600), but I keep getting the warning. I'm looking though the device but can't see what it is that's causing the problem. Anyone know of an app that can let me see how much memory everything's using, like a PowerDesk for smartphone?

Mike Temporale
06-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Chances are it's related to the cache in IE Mobile. Launch IE Mobile and select Menu / Options / Memory, and then select each item and press Clear. That should do the trick.

algorhythm
06-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks, that seems to have helped. Still, I wonder why I never encountered that before....I virtually never dumped my PIE cache on any previous device.

Mike Temporale
06-12-2006, 09:40 PM
I think the low memory warning is new on Windows Mobile 5. So it might have been low before, but you wouldn't have known about it. :)

Still, I don't understand why Microsoft hasn't limited the size of the IE cache. It's left up to the carrier/manufacturer and they just don't seem to do it. The end result is that we're stuck with the default - use all available space. :roll:

ditch_azeroth
06-13-2006, 08:46 AM
i guess they just forgot... lol ^_^

Mike Temporale
06-13-2006, 01:37 PM
i guess they just forgot... lol ^_^

This has been an ongoing issue with Microsoft. They feel it's better left in the hands of the ODM - even though the ODMs have never set it correctly. Same issue as the Caller ID. (http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,9849) :twisted:

Jerry Raia
06-13-2006, 04:13 PM
Isn't there a tweek someplace for cache size?

Mike Temporale
06-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Isn't there a tweek someplace for cache size?

Yes, but it doesn't hold. You may be good for a little while, but it will switch back and you're no better off. :(

ditch_azeroth
06-14-2006, 07:58 AM
sort of OT: i think they're trying to follow nokia's marketing style: come up with semi-great phones - but take away some of the features, and make it available in a preceeding model... that's why i gave up nokia's and se's a long time ago... ^_^

but then again, bill gates sort of invented this marketing scheme - make windows 98 (and maybe left those bugs on purpose) - here comes 98se... whoops again! that ain't too good... comes 2000/NT... and so on... hahaha... gotta sustain the demand... LOL ^_^

bshpmark
07-26-2006, 02:24 AM
I had the same problem. It is probably from some software that got installed on the phone and took up memory. I was down to 4 meg of memory left on the phone and had cleaned off everything that could be taken off. I cleaned off all temp files, cache files, etc etc etc. I had all programs loaded on my storage card and still could not free up memory. I did "Clear Storage" from the Start Menu and basically hard reset the phone and viola! i suddenly had 13 Meg of free memory available. I reinstalled all of the programs on the storage card and still had 13 meg free on the phone. I have been monitoring it ever since and the free memory still hovers around 13 meg.