View Full Version : Overheating 2125

billcalle
06-07-2006, 10:46 PM
I have a 2125 configured to sync to our company's exchange server every 10 minutes (boy I wish Cingular would release the push ROM upgrade!). Twice this week I've had the phone get really hot and the battery drain completely. At first I thought the phone was malfunctioning. This time when it happened, however, I releaized what was going on. Apparently it was trying to reach the exchange server and couldn't do so due to a network problem. Instead of stopping and trying again later in 10 minutes, it just sits there going and going and going, to the point that it drains the battery as fast and continuously as possible. Has anybody else experienced this? Is there a way to get it to stop? The phone is fairly useless if I can't reliably count on the battery lasting all day.

JimDelany
06-08-2006, 12:15 AM
I have had this happen and this is just the beginning. The bluetooth support is basically useless. Someone pointed out something I had not noticed at first and that is that you cannot removed a locked phone from either the case or your pocket without answering it. It's application locked too. Basically the phone is almost useless. It is very difficult to use in the car unless you use wired headphones, who is going to buy a bluetooth phone and use wired headphones?

No a2dp so no stereo at all. The bluetooth that there is doesn't come close to working right. when you make calls 50/50 chance the sound comes out of the speaker on the phone, voice dial calls work but there is a 90% chance that after prompting you in the headset the audio is on the speaker.

it's going to be a long 2 years with this thing. We have to hope that the new rom assuming it ever comes out is better than this alpha quality rom we have now.

billcalle
06-08-2006, 01:28 AM
In all fairness, I actually think the phone is wonderful. The bluetooth support has worked well for me, including A2DP that I installed from another phone. I love the internet access, Windows Media Player for music, great call quality and reception. I am very frustrated at Cingular for not updating the ROM. This overheating problem is also ridculous, but I would guess that this is a Windows Mobile problem and not a Cingular problem. I've actually told several people that this phone has been better than I could possibly have hoped for in every aspect except this one.

Kris Kumar
06-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Overheating is a problem that I have noticed with the other HTC phones and some non-HTC phones, when the data/voice call is carried out for a long time, especially under low signal strength.

I had gone out of town once and was using the 2125 as the modem, and after an hour of modem use it was pretty warm...actually hot.

Regarding accidently hitting the answer soft key while pulling the phone out of the case, that has happened to me a couple of times and is annoying, because I didnt want to take the call. :evil:

But the phone is still one of the best Smartphones. A ROM update is needed, especially for the MSFP.

Kris Kumar
06-08-2006, 01:36 AM
And hoping that someone might has a solution to you problem, so that the Exchange sync can timeout and not keep on trying.

billcalle
06-08-2006, 05:23 AM
Kris - Your description, i.e. using it under low signal strength, is totally accurate. There are some places in the building I work in where reception is not good. If I happen to be in a dead spot for a while (boring meeting) the silly phone just keeps trying as hard as it can to establish a data connection instead of timing out. The heat doesn't bother as much as the fact that I've drained a fully charged battery in about an hour! Aside from this one issue for which I hope there is a solution, the phone is really excellent!

Mike Temporale
06-08-2006, 01:29 PM
You'll get better battery life if you can bump the 10minute sync out a little. Say every 30 minutes?

sonicmoon
08-10-2006, 02:23 AM
i just experienced this battery overheating/draining problem and the phone shutting down for the first time yesterday -- and i've had the phone for about 2 months now. before it began overheating, i also noticed the G symbol next to the signal strength meter staying on for an inordinant amount of time. so the symptom seems to be the same as what is mentioned here.. attempting to connect to a mail server continuously and overheating. i know that i had both wifi and bluetooth turned off at the time. anyone come up with a workaround for this other than manually sending/receiving to check for new mail?