View Full Version : unable to synchronize files?

zilla31
05-29-2006, 07:35 PM
when i go into "options" in AS (4.2), i'm unable to see the option to sync "Files" for some reason? this is playing havoc on my sync of ListPro and FlexWallet. Anyone got any ideas why it's not in my list or how to get it back there???

Mike Temporale
05-29-2006, 08:11 PM
There is no File Sync of the Smartphone. ;) So you're not missing anything. eWallet has a sync tool included with it. ListPro doesn't.

Techsupport
05-29-2006, 09:36 PM
http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/lp/lp_supts1.htm

If you have ListPro files on a Windows PC, you can move them to your phone using Microsoft ActiveSync/Explore. Please note that File Synchronization for Smartphones is not currently supported by ActiveSync, so you won't be able to synchronize your files automatically. Move them by copying them from their folder on your Windows PC, then choosing Explore from ActiveSync. Then navigate to the one of the folders below, and paste your ListPro files there:

My Smartphone/IPSM/My Documents
My Smartphone/Storage/My Documents
My Smartphone/Storage Card (note that files should not be in My Documents if on the card)

Important Note: when moving a file to your Smartphone, be sure that ListPro does not have the file open on either side. On your Windows PC, just close ListPro. On your Smartphone, choose Show Files from the menu, so that no ListPro files are open. Starting another program does not close ListPro.

http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/ew/ew_supts1.htm

The easiest way to make eWallet files on your Smartphone is to use eWallet on your Windows PC or Pocket PC.

You can use SyncPro to synchronize your files right to your Smartphone.

If you have eWallet cards or files on a Pocket PC, you can beam them to your phone using your IR ports on both devices.

Beam whole files using File Explorer on your Pocket PC PC, and Infared Receive on your Smartphone. Beam individual cards and folders using Send Card from the menu within eWallet.

If you have eWallet files on a Windows PC and are not using SyncPro, you can move your wallet files to your phone using Microsoft ActiveSync/Explore. Move the files by copying them from their folder on your Windows PC, then choosing Explore from ActiveSync. Then navigate to the one of the folders below, and paste your eWallet files there:

My Smartphone/IPSM/My Documents
My Smartphone/Storage/My Documents
My Smartphone/Storage Card (note that files should not be in My Documents if on the card)

Note that files in the above locations will not be synchronized with either SyncPro or ActiveSync.

Important Note: when moving a file to your Smartphone, be sure that eWallet does not have the file open on either side. On your Windows PC, just close eWallet. On your Smartphone, choose Show Files from the menu, so that no wallet files are open. Starting another program does not close eWallet.

Techsupport
05-29-2006, 09:48 PM
http://www.twopeaks.com/FlexWallet/Faq.aspx

The Smartphone Edition of FlexWallet comes with a File Sync Utility that will help you automatically sync wallet files with your Smartphone device. An icon to launch this utility can be found under Start > All Programs > Two Peaks FlexWallet on your desktop computer.

http://www.twopeaks.com/FlexWallet/SPSync.aspx

zilla31
05-30-2006, 12:01 AM
http://www.twopeaks.com/FlexWallet/Faq.aspx

The Smartphone Edition of FlexWallet comes with a File Sync Utility that will help you automatically sync wallet files with your Smartphone device. An icon to launch this utility can be found under Start > All Programs > Two Peaks FlexWallet on your desktop computer.

http://www.twopeaks.com/FlexWallet/SPSync.aspx

i had no idea this program was there (new to the SP versions of all this software). thanks though this does the trick perfectly... if only they'd allow their cool little utility to work w/ "other" files (then i could get ListPro synced up as well...). Regardless - THANKS!

zilla31
05-30-2006, 12:02 AM
PS - So AS doesn't support syncing files for SPs yet? Is that weird? I mean why not?

Mike Temporale
05-30-2006, 01:29 AM
PS - So AS doesn't support syncing files for SPs yet? Is that weird? I mean why not?

It's been discussed around here a lot. For whatever reason Microsoft left it out from the AS client on the Smartphone. :(

eWallet has a built in sync conduit for it's wallets. There are also third party file sync tools available that will sync any file you want.

Ilium Software
05-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Hi,

What Mike said!

I strongly suggest using SyncPro with eWallet. It will sync all your wallet files at an item level and you can sync as many wallets as you like.

So for eWallet the lack of a File Sync function on smartphone is no big deal. You would need to transfer files manually for ListPro though (or, as Mike mentioned) use a 3rd party app.

Let us know if you have any trouble synching,

Marc Tassin
Ilium Software
--------------------
[email protected]
+1 (734) 973-9388
---------------------
http://www.iliumsoft.com

Mike Temporale
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
You would need to transfer files manually for ListPro though (or, as Mike mentioned) use a 3rd party app.

Marc, is there any reason why listPro doesn't have a SyncPro of it's own? Seems like a natural extension of the SyncPro line.

Ilium Software
05-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Marc, is there any reason why listPro doesn't have a SyncPro of it's own? Seems like a natural extension of the SyncPro line.

Disclaimer: I'll try not to sound too much like a ListPro ad as I answer but it's a little tough to avoid considering the things I need to cover...on with the answer!

Because ListPro offers so much flexibility, people can set up their database pretty much however they like. This is nice from the point of view of user customization but when it comes to synching it presents major problems. From the 15 levels of indentation to user defined columns there are a million and one things that need consideration to implement an item level sync that really works well.

So is it possible? Absolutely.
But is it a major programming challenge and extremely time consuming? Without a doubt.

So we are looking at options for the future but up until this point we've ended up focusing on features over sync.

One alternative we've been exploring is a File Sync style tool. We just haven't been able to gauge whether file level synching is much of an improvement for our Smartphone users.

Anyone have thoughts on the subject they'd like to share? We'd love to hear them.

Mike Temporale
05-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Disclaimer: I'll try not to sound too much like a ListPro ad as I answer but it's a little tough to avoid considering the things I need to cover...on with the answer!

I think we can allow. But just this time. ;)

Ok, now I understand. A row level or card level sync is a great deal of work based on the customizability of ListPro catalogs.

I would really like to see some sort of sync. Even if it's not at the item level. It's unfortunate that Mircosoft has left out the File Sync that PPC users have enjoyed for so long. It would make this such a non-issue.

Even with a basic File sync, ListPro becomes much more powerful. At least for me. My memory isn't what it used to be, and I can't remember to copy a file back and forth every time I sync. :lol:

zilla31
05-30-2006, 08:14 PM
i'll second the motion for even file level syncing (transaction would be nice but isn't critical to me)... right now it's kind of a pain to manually move my listpro file over every time i update it (though not unbearable of course).