View Full Version : The Mac - Smartphone dance

algorhythm
05-29-2006, 06:12 PM
I switched my primary computer to a Mac last year, mainly for better online security. I've always worked with both platforms, and have no interest in bashing either, so I hope any responses to this thread can remain constructive. :D

The biggest issue has been with syncing. AFAIK there are two apps for syncing Smartphones with a Mac, PocketMac and Missing Sync. Both work okay, neither supports Inbox sync, which I've learned to live with. :roll:

Now here's the problem: I'm about to replace my SP3 with a T-Mo SDA (SP5m)....but neither Mac program supports WM5 yet. So.....what to do to keep the phone's Calendar, Contacts and Task list current?

I figure I'll probably start using my XP machine to sync the phone. But what I'm looking for is a painless way of =regularly= syncing Entourage on the Mac with Outlook 2000 on the PC.

Anyone else ever deal with this? Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Rocco Augusto
05-29-2006, 07:10 PM
if im not mistaken the missing sync has a alpha/beta version that supports WM5. once again, im not 100% positive but its worth checking out.

also have you ever checked out 4smartphone.net? its a great service that will let you sync your info over-the-air. also when i was setting up my account i saw instructions on how to set up a mac with their service :)

algorhythm
05-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Yup, I did notice that Missing Sync has a pre-release version....they're kinda vague as to whether it's alpha or beta, which makes me a bit reluctant to load it into a brand new device. (That said, my experience with the PocketMac folks wasn't all that stellar, so I'd lean toward trying it out...)

The 4smartphone site looks interesting, though....appears to be an alternative to MS Exchange. Need to nose around it some more....on first glance I don't see anything about Mac support.

Thanks for the tips.