View Full Version : it must be lunchtime....

Rocco Augusto
05-21-2006, 09:46 PM
because there is a ton of SPAM floating around the board. :(

it makes me angry, especially since SPT was nice enough to dedicate a whole section to the announcments of new products and services for its members to use :evil:

Sven Johannsen
05-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Oh, yes, I see. SPAM only becomes a lasting problem when you make a meal out of it. You know, add condiments, bread, side dishes. If you just let it lay there, it just dries up and goes away.

Mike Temporale
05-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah, just let us know when you see it. We're always cleaning up and banning this goofs. It's an ongoing issue. :(

Sadly, their latest target is a product that I might actually have tried, until now. Usually what's happened is the company has paid XYZ Corp to increase their ranking on search engines. In order to do that, they need to get the word out to sites with high Google page ranking. They're hoping that the posts start some conversation and won't get noticed by the mods. Unfortunately for them, I won't post about these guys on the front page at all now. I've cleaned up about 20 posts from them today alone.

Rocco Augusto
05-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah, just let us know when you see it. We're always cleaning up and banning this goofs. It's an ongoing issue. :(

Sadly, their latest target is a product that I might actually have tried, until now. Usually what's happened is the company has paid XYZ Corp to increase their ranking on search engines. In order to do that, they need to get the word out to sites with high Google page ranking. They're hoping that the posts start some conversation and won't get noticed by the mods. Unfortunately for them, I won't post about these guys on the front page at all now. I've cleaned up about 20 posts from them today alone.

almost makes me hope that my site doesnt take off... almost ;)

Sven Johannsen
05-22-2006, 04:54 AM
almost makes me hope that my site doesnt take off... almost ;)The price of fame..be careful what you wish for.

edgar
05-22-2006, 05:02 AM
I can live with the stupid Nav4all spam - they're just trying to sell something legit (albeit questionable practices)

Its those darn Nigerian Cell Phone scam phishing sites that get spammed on PPCT lately that drive me crazy. Newbies go and hit that site thinking they can get an SDA for 50% off then blame the forum the site was posted on. UGH! Just start blocking full class C's I guess.

Rocco Augusto
05-22-2006, 06:24 AM
can they block ip ranges?

edgar
05-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Mike?

I assume you can block full C class IP blocks since you can block individual IP's. I would think its simply entering 123.234.132.* vs 123.231.132.15 in the block field. Which would mean you could block complete Class B's or A's as well.

Mike Temporale
05-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Yes, you could block the whole C, but that would effect other innocent readers. It's not really a good solution. Besides, they aren't all coming from the same C class anyway. Yesterday's activities did happen to come from the same exact IP, but it's not the same IP or C class used in other spammings. That would be too easy.

ditch_azeroth
05-24-2006, 10:18 AM
... and to think... when i got mike's email that i won the sp5m, i thought it was spam... :lol:

spam is sort of a necessary evil. i.e. = pro - drives traffic to you. con - drives complaints to you. can't live with it, can't live without it. the better thing to do is to educate users about spam - how to tell which one is which. if people really understand how spam works, i doubt this problem would last longer than jason biggs in american pie... :lol:

Rocco Augusto
05-25-2006, 10:20 PM
i just got my first SPAM comments on my site today. about three of them, had to ban the user that sent them. i feel like ive finally made it, im getting SPAM'd :lol:

Mike Temporale
05-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Congrats! Kind of sucks, don't it?

Rocco Augusto
05-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Congrats! Kind of sucks, don't it?

a little bit, at first i looked at my girlfriend and said "hey look at that, i finally made it! im famous! :lol:" (in a joking tone of course), and then i realized that i was actually paying for the bandwidth that these spammers take up and then i was a little annoyed. :evil:

the good news, im worthy enough to spam. the bad news, im worthy enough to spam ;)