View Full Version : Smartphones without a camera

daw1zard
05-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi all, i have a question. My company has made it company policy to ban camera phones on site. Are there any options available for smartphones without a camera? this seems to be a hard option to find in normal mobile phones,without looking at smart phones :)

Thanks

Dawizard

Mike Temporale
05-12-2006, 02:17 AM
I think all the Windows Mobile 5 devices have a camera in them. If you want a Smartphone without a Camera, I think your only choice is the Voq.

Sven Johannsen
05-12-2006, 02:31 AM
There actually is/was a version of the SDA without a camera, but the only place I ever saw it was on T-Mobile Germany's site. It is a pain in the a$$, but it seems that the manufacturers of these devices, who are courting business customers, haven't noticed the tendency to not allow photographic equipment in the facilities.

I would love to have a Cingular business rep show up to demo MS Push e-mail for a big contract and be told, "sorry, you'll have to leave those 2125s and 8125s with the receptionist"

This will likely start the usual thread about how backward, and idiotic the policies are, and I don't disagree. I think if my employer can trust me with what he already trusts me, he should be able to trust me to not take pictures, or turn the phone off. I was a big detracter of cameras in phones for a long time. I haven't been as vocal lately since currently I can't bring in a cell phone at all, on or off, with or without a camera. PPC either.

ditch_azeroth
05-12-2006, 04:49 AM
you can also get the old HTC e100 Tanager - the camera comes off so... ^_^

Rocco Augusto
05-12-2006, 05:42 AM
This will likely start the usual thread about how backward, and idiotic the policies are, and I don't disagree.

im personally all down for not having camera phones in certain places. im sure your company trust you but in secure locations you really cant afford to play favorites. theres times when i go to cetain meetings and everyone has to leave their phones out of the conference rooms because we had a problem with someone taking pictures and recording meetings and then selling the contents that were recorded.

im sure they trust me and all but i cant expect them to break the rules for me, what point would there to be have policies in place to protect company secrets if you play favorites with certain individuals.

honestly im sadden that we live in a world where we have to have such measures in place

Sven Johannsen
05-13-2006, 03:47 AM
we had a problem with someone taking pictures and recording meetings and then selling the contents that were recorded. Is that person in jail now?..Should be.
im sure they trust me and all but i cant expect them to break the rules for me, what point would there to be have policies in place to protect company secrets if you play favorites with certain individuals.

I don't think different rules for employees and visitors is unreasonale.

edgar
05-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Coming from Washington DC prior to San Francisco I fully understand not having camera phones allowed in many sites. It not just some trade secret that can be compromised.

I had an old Nokia phone with no camera that I woudl swap my SIM into prior to entering those buildings. Then swap back when I came outside. Another reason GSM rules. Hmm I guess I could mention that in the thread over on PPCT about "Do you switch devices depending on what you are doing"

-Edgar

Note: I don't understand opti's problem though - he works at a strip club - all the trade secrets are already on the web :oops:

Jerry Raia
05-13-2006, 03:05 PM
...unless of course the phone in question is the MPx220, in which case anything in the photo taken would be unrecognizable. :lol:

Rocco Augusto
05-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Is that person in jail now?..Should be.
to my knowledge they are in jail, i know there was a trail but i wasnt following it

I don't think different rules for employees and visitors is unreasonale.
its not, i was only commenting on my personal experience and we usually dont have that many visitors so i didnt think of that :oops:

...unless of course the phone in question is the MPx220, in which case anything in the photo taken would be unrecognizable. :lol:
not to mention everything would have a green hue to it

Note: I don't understand opti's problem though - he works at a strip club - all the trade secrets are already on the web :oops:
we were trying to get the dancers to carry smartphones, how many dancing ladies do you see with a windows mobile device? honestly? imagine it, youre getting a lapdance and then she whips out her device and looks you right in the eye and asks "so do you like my homescreen?" IT WAS A BRILLIANT IDEA! ;) :lol: :roll:

Mike Temporale
05-14-2006, 01:50 AM
we're really pushing the envelope on this PG site. ;)

Rocco Augusto
05-14-2006, 01:54 AM
we're really pushing the envelope on this PG site. ;)

its edgar's fault, he started it! he should know better by now, i have no filter :lol:

edgar
05-14-2006, 07:53 AM
*whistle innocently*

ditch_azeroth
05-16-2006, 07:31 AM
funny thread... what's even funnier is that the guy who made this post never replied... :lol:

Mike Temporale
05-16-2006, 11:37 AM
funny thread... what's even funnier is that the guy who made this post never replied... :lol:

8O :rotfl:

daw1zard
05-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Hi all,
I am still here, the post seemed to digress after the first few replys. I do however thank the first couple of people for their phone suggestions. I will probably have to wait for the SE W950, which is not a smartphone, but does have most of the needed functions. I will just have to keep my hx4700.

Hopefully manufactures notice the trend for no phones in some company policies and market no phone options, as per fujitsu-seimens with the last pocketloox models

Thanks again

Daw1z

edgar
05-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi all,
I am still here, the post seemed to digress after the first few replys.

It's his fault! *point at Optikalsaint*

Mike Temporale
05-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Hopefully manufactures notice the trend for no phones in some company policies and market no phone options, as per fujitsu-seimens with the last pocketloox models

I think you mean no cameras ;) Anyway, I think there was a company that did this with one of the PPC devices. Wasn't there? HP is coming to mind, but I'm not 100% on that.

It seems like the manufacturers are a little confused. They are adding features that the kids want - camera's, but marketing the device to the enterprise which doesn't want or allow those features. With time I'm sure someone will realize these problems. I hope! :?

edgar
05-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Yea

Hp seems to get this. They release a "consumer model" of their phones with a camera and a Business model without. Both the 63xx and 67xx are designed this way.

Those are both PPC's though. For some reason they have them on all the SP's