View Full Version : EVDO vs. EDGE - can someone explain?

Pete Paxton
05-11-2006, 05:23 AM
I have EDGE on my SDA. I noticed that some phones come with EVDO. I know these are both higher speed data but what's the difference? Can you switch to one or the other? Is one better? I also have WiFi. Are either of these faster than that? Thanks

AdamaDBrown
05-11-2006, 07:10 PM
The average speed of EDGE is between 100 and 170 Kbits. The average speed of EVDO is around 400-500 Kbits. EVDO is what's called "3G," Third Generation wireless internet. EDGE is "2.5G." You cannot switch them--EVDO only works on CDMA carriers, EDGE only works on GSM. EVDO is arguably better for its speed, though you lose the functionality advantages of GSM. Neither EDGE nor EVDO are potentially faster than WiFi, though that depends a on the connection that the WiFi is hooked up to.

Pete Paxton
05-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Good explanation - thanks.

LHBALESJR
05-12-2006, 03:10 PM
You mentioned that "you lose the functionality advantages of GSM" What are some of these advantages?

Thanks

Rocco Augusto
05-12-2006, 06:22 PM
You mentioned that "you lose the functionality advantages of GSM" What are some of these advantages?

Thanks

not being on verizon is one advantage :lol:

edgar
05-12-2006, 06:46 PM
I think the advantages come mostly from Carrier roaming - cingular and T-Mobile have a superior footprint to Verizon or Sprint/Nextel. T-Mo and Cingular have a roaming agreement in place.

Also, International - GSM is an international standard and is pretty much what is in most of Europe, etc.

Also, GSM uses a SIM to define the number and user of the device. Therefore, you can exchange the Sim between devices - so for example. If you travel to Spain, you can buy a preloaded local SIM that has minutes on it - put it in your unlocked device and go - no rental charge, no hassle.

With the slow release of HSPDA in uk, and already in a couple cities in the US you are finally seeing 3G networking coming to GSM as well. Considering, currently, Cingular and T-Mo both have good data plans with true "fair use" I'll stick with GSM. Verizon is rather medival in their data structure and "fair use".

I'm sure there are other advantages, but this is just off the top of my head.

-Edgar

Don't listen to Opti - he's trying to change the subject :) Mr Cingular that he is!

AdamaDBrown
05-12-2006, 07:50 PM

Well, I htink it's been covered already, but the main advantages are:

SIM cards, which let you use any GSM phone as yours just by moving the card into it. For instance, if you didn't want to take your nice expensive smartphone out hiking in the wilderness, you could swap your SIM card into an inexpensive dumbphone and remain connected without risking damage to your main device.

All digital. GSM providers like T-Mobile and Cingular are all digital, with no analog or older generation coverage. Contrast this to Verizon, which pads its coverage maps by including areas of only analog coverage, which can't be used by smartphones or most other modern devices.

Compatibility. You can use any GSM phone on any GSM network, so long as it's unlocked and supports the appropriate bands. A phone which supports all four GSM bands, as most new phones do, can be used anywhere in the world, without approval from the carrier. CDMA phones can't be used outside of the US, ever. You can also just grab whatever new phone you like on GSM, whereas on Verizon you must buy only Verizon approved phones.

Jerry Raia
05-13-2006, 12:54 AM

Amen to that! :lol:

Rocco Augusto
05-13-2006, 09:49 PM

Amen to that! :lol:

see Saint Edgar, at least Jerry listens to me

edgar
05-14-2006, 07:55 AM
Jerry is a heathen! Praying to false saints.

Rocco Augusto
05-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Jerry is a heathen! Praying to false saints.

says the man with the mpx220 ;)

ZING!

opti 5:14