View Full Version : Orb = What speed are you using?

jfreiman
05-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Has anyone else tried Orb (www.orb.com) for streaming computer audio and video files to your mobile phone?

I have a Windows Media Center PC at home and installed Orb on it today... It's absolutly amazing!

I can watch my recorded and live televison straight from my PC on my 2125.

My question to everyone is, what speed do you find works best for you?

The setting I've found that works well without repeated buffering messages is 100k. With this setting I get a full screen image (in windows Media Player) and smooth video/tv playback.

I'm really happy that I found this app. :-D

-John

Mike Temporale
05-07-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm using a SlingBox - it's the same idea, but it works with any TV STB. So I can't answer your question but I can say: It's great to watch TV from anywhere, isn't it! :D

jfreiman
05-08-2006, 01:33 AM
Yea, it is great! :-D

Given a strong enough battery, you hardly have to add a storage card! ;-)

I've got a 1gib mini-SD and I'm finding myself just Orb'ng things rather than copy only selected audio or video files over.

Another benefit is that if you can sustain a 100k bandwidth you can see full screen television/video!!! No more postage stamp sized video like you get from Windows Media! ;-)

-John

Rocco Augusto
05-13-2006, 08:24 PM
im a very found user of orb media. ive found that anything above 80k will give you good playback, if you want to avoid the buffering though you would have to be above 100k as you pointed out. right now im watching a rerun of the oblongs through orb media on my 2125 :)

Mike Temporale
05-14-2006, 01:51 AM
right now im watching a rerun of the oblongs through orb media on my 2125 :)

Oblongs? Never heard of it. :?

Rocco Augusto
05-14-2006, 02:01 AM
Oblongs? Never heard of it. :?

its a cartoon on cartoons networks "adult swim", if im not mistaken it was created in the good ol land of canada. i think there was only 13 episodes but it was pretty amusing while it lasted :)

Mike Temporale
05-14-2006, 02:09 AM
Huh... I guess I don't watch enough cartoons. That's odd, because I have two kids and it seems like the TV is always on cartoons. Just nothing very funny. ;)

Speaking of great shows from Canada; Trailer Park Boys is one of my favourites right now. :mrgreen:

Rocco Augusto
05-14-2006, 02:18 AM
Huh... I guess I don't watch enough cartoons. That's odd, because I have two kids and it seems like the TV is always on cartoons. Just nothing very funny. ;)

Speaking of great shows from Canada; Trailer Park Boys is one of my favourites right now. :mrgreen:

hehe, this wouldnt really be a kid cartoon, its more of the adult humor variety. i been meaning to pick up some TPB episodes but havent had the time. maybe after i get rid of all the work i have on my plate i can take on some new shows, which i been dying to do :)

Mike Temporale
05-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Just checked out the web site, and I would agree that it's not really kid friendly. Looks pretty good.

For those that haven't seen it, Trailer Park Boys is the reverse of Cops. Instead of following the police around and watching them arrest the bad guys, the camera's follow the "bad guys". It's worth the viewing time or the PVR space. ;)