View Full Version : Alright, I'm fed up with Cingular. (opinions wanted please)

zeke009
05-02-2006, 05:36 PM
I've had enough of Cingular lately. Their support is driving me nuts and I'm just sick of the price.

I can go over to T-Mobile and get the T-Mobile SDA from Amazon for FREE (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/rebates/B000EM6MQ0/ref=dp_rebates_1/102-9289812-6519317?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=wireless) and also sign up for a plan that is about $10 to $15 dollars cheaper per month. I can ditch the internet package and use the WiFi to get what I need/want from the net. I rarely browse the net on my mobile, mostly I use Windows Mobile to sync with Outlook all the time.

I don't talk to alot on my mobile, my friends and I have the habit of keeping phone calls short almost all the time. If I talk alot, it's on the weekend or weeknight. During the free minutes period.

So I ask you T-Mobile SDA owners and everyone else, what is your opinion of T-Mobile? My Cingular contract expires 5/21. Just in time for the Amazon rebates. Are you satisfied with T-Mobile? Is one the lesser of two evils than the other? And how do you like that SDA? I have the Audiovox SMT5600 right now, damn fine phone I must say.

Jerry Raia
05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Having been a Verizon customer in the past and a Cingular one now I can say it is just about trade offs. I know quite a few people with T-Mo and they have their own lists of complaints. I rank them like this:

Verizon = Great coverage, worst phones on earth.
Cingular = Good coverage, great selection of phones.
T-Mo (from what I hear from others) = ok coverage, fair phone selection.

I left out price because at any given time any one of those can have a better deal, just a matter of when you hit them. I make it a habit to check with Cingular from time to time to see if anything new has popped up. Customer service is always a crap shoot. Just depends on who answers the phone.

zeke009
05-03-2006, 03:26 AM
I, like so many others, hate being locked into a contract. I could go for the 2 year contract which comes with a free T-Mobile SDA and wait for it to appear in the mail. Or I could walk in to the store and pay $200 with a 1 year contract for the same phone.
edit: it's a 2 year contract no matter if the phone comes from t-mobile.com, amazon.com or t-mobile store front.

ugh.. decisions! At least I have a few weeks to research before my contract expires.

Oh, add to that mix above that I would have to call T-Mobile when I receive the phone I have to call customer service to adjust the plan to drop the internet option.

Kris Kumar
05-03-2006, 03:28 AM
I was a T-Mobile customer for almost 3 years. While their customer support is great, I was never impressed with their coverage. The moment you step out of the metro area, the coverage goes down. In the long run coverage matters more than customer support.

I don't think there is much of a price difference between T-Mobile and Cingular. But I do find the integrated Hot-Spot/WiFi and GPRS/EDGE plan attractive.

I will recommend checking the T-Mobile coverage out first at your home and work. Either get a pre-paid phone account or borrow your friend's phone. ;-)

zeke009
05-03-2006, 03:41 AM
I don't think there is much of a price difference between T-Mobile and Cingular. But I do find the integrated Hot-Spot/WiFi and GPRS/EDGE plan attractive.
I'm up in the air about this option, there are alot of open access points in the Twin Cities (Minnesota) area.

I will recommend checking the T-Mobile coverage out first at your home and work. Either get a pre-paid phone account or borrow your friend's phone. ;-)
The coverage map looks solid for Minnesota and my friend ditched Cingular for T-mobile. He was more fed up with them than I was, he paid the fee to get out of the contract!