View Full Version : New Camera for Me!

Jerry Raia
04-30-2006, 01:39 AM
For those of you who don't venture off this site much, and why would you really? I just got a new toy, the Canon SD700 IS Camera. I know it's not a phone but I try to keep things balanced and sane!

The "IS" stands for Image Stabilizer. It's the first PowerShot to have it. So of course I had to upgrade from my SD550. What can I do?

Mike Temporale
04-30-2006, 02:22 AM
For those of you who don't venture off this site much, and why would you really? I just got a new toy, the Canon SD700 IS Camera. I know it's not a phone but I try to keep things balanced and sane!

The "IS" stands for Image Stabilizer. It's the first PowerShot to have it. So of course I had to upgrade from my SD550. What can I do?

The 550 is a nice little camera in itself. I've been using the 400 and it's great! I haven't seen the 700 yet. Time to head over to Canon's site and check it out. 8)

Kris Kumar
04-30-2006, 02:40 AM
I had read about the IS in a WSJ article. Looks like it is the new buzz word in the digital camera world.

Waiting for DP Review to do a full review of this product. I am also looking for a portable camera [my current camera is Digital Rebel] in the <$350 range.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd700is.asp

Jerry Raia
04-30-2006, 03:20 AM
The 550 is good. 7.1mp. I gave up a few mp for the other features as the 700 is only 6mp. Still it seemed a good trade off.

edgar
04-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Selling that 550?

I saw HP released a 5mp with wifi - that would be sweet, no cables to transfer all those pictures!

I have an sd400 and I really like it, canon does a great job

-Edgar

Jerry Raia
04-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Selling that 550?

Oh yeah

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10315

Mike Temporale
05-01-2006, 01:44 AM
I saw HP released a 5mp with wifi - that would be sweet, no cables to transfer all those pictures!

I never transfer my pictures with the card in the device. I always pull it out and use a memory card reader. It's so much faster. :)

I have an sd400 and I really like it, canon does a great job

That's pretty much the same as my s400 - just different memory card. I like Canon too, but I've had a couple quality issues with their devices. I hope it's only a phase and things improve soon. :D

Jerry Raia
05-01-2006, 02:35 AM
I like Canon too, but I've had a couple quality issues with their devices. I hope it's only a phase and things improve soon. :D

I've had 3 of them so far and have liked them all. What kind of problems have you had with them?

Mike Temporale
05-01-2006, 03:06 AM
I've had 3 of them so far and have liked them all. What kind of problems have you had with them?

Let's see....

Just out of warrenty my G1 had a charging problem. (they charger is built in on the G line, not like the more pocketable cameras). The repair cost $370 or so. Thankfully I had the extended warrenty. (It was my first digital camera)

Just out of warrenty, my s400 starts to show a e50 Memory card error. Canon will fix this for $150-$300(US). Problem resolved after I left the battery out for almost a week. Search the net on this one, it's very common.

Just out of warrenty (by one week) my in-laws SD110 fails to turn on. Nothing seems to fix the problem. I phone and bug Canon who agree to fix it at no cost out of the niceness of their hearts. Yeah, right! Takes over a month to fix. :roll:

I think there was another issue in there, but I can't seem to recall it right now. :? Anyway, I really like their cameras. I think the image colour and picture quality is the best out there. I just think they need to step up the quality control a little.

edgar
05-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Yea, I've had two with zero problems. I think Mike is just a Murphy Magnet.

If I can could the pictures from camera to printer or PC without taking out the card or slapping on a cable I would be very happy! Thus I think Wi-Fi would be great.

Mike Temporale
05-01-2006, 03:14 AM
Yea, I've had two with zero problems. I think Mike is just a Murphy Magnet.

I wish. Just check out the google results for my latest (s400) problems:

s400 Memory card issue (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=memory+card+error+canon+s400&meta=)

:?

edgar
05-01-2006, 03:19 AM
But you hit aproblem with each one - :cry:

What's the chances of that? Come on, Admit it: when you drop a piece of bread it goes butter down, the wrench rolls to the center of the car, and you get the slow lane each time at the toll. :) Murphy is your best friend!

Kris Kumar
05-01-2006, 03:26 AM
I have the Digital Rebel - the shutter gets stuck after every 50 or so clicks. :? Not a good thing for an SLR camera. Lots of people have the same problem.

Jerry Raia
05-01-2006, 04:07 AM
These are not good signs. Perhaps my keeping gadgets no longer than a year is a good thing after all. I'm not insane! :mrgreen:

Mike Temporale
05-01-2006, 01:20 PM
I have the Digital Rebel - the shutter gets stuck after every 50 or so clicks. :? Not a good thing for an SLR camera. Lots of people have the same problem.

You see, I am not alone. ;) Canon makes great stuff, but if they don't step up the quality control they're going to find themselves loosing to other players.

Oh and Edgar, we don't have any toll roads here. The only toll road is 100% electronic so there's no stopping to pay some guy in a booth. ;)

edgar
05-01-2006, 07:04 PM
whacky Canookia. Don't get to stop and talk to people. All alone :(