View Full Version : Motorola Patents Shocking New Silent Alert System

Jerry Raia
04-25-2006, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=2314' target='_blank'>http://mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=2314</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Motorola has recently received a patent for a completely silent way of alerting users to incoming calls and messages. No, this isn't the usual vibrating system - the Motorola patent involves alerting the owner using mild electric shock. The system, not unlike the massage and weight loss systems currently available on the market today, uses a small pad containing electrodes that are wirelessly linked to a handset. When an event occurs on the handset, an electric potential is placed across the electrodes, stimulating the skin and underling muscles, thus alerting the wearer."</i><br /><br />Yes indeed. I want the maker of the MPx220, the RAZR, the ROKR, the SLVR and the elusive Q to give me electric shocks. Who wouldn't? Think of all the fun places you could stick the electrodes. Ok seriously, sticking electrodes on myself so I know when a phone call comes in seems a bit over the top. I'm sure though Motorola researched the need for this like they always do. :)

Mike Temporale
04-25-2006, 01:15 AM
This just seems silly. Why would anyone want a shock when their phone rings? And why is this something that can get a patent? It's not like getting a shock is something new. I've witness the event since 3rd grade when some of the more adventurus kids would stick rulers in the outlets. Besides, it would be simple to do on a phone. Just connect a couple wires to the vibrate motor and then tap them to your person. Making sure not to send the signal across the heart. Even still, I don't think it would be powerful enough.

Did I mention this was silly? :roll:

Kris Kumar
04-25-2006, 03:42 AM
I do agree with one thing, the vibrating phone on the meeting table can be very annoying. I have been guilty of it many a times. :oops: